Author Topic: Disappointed or pleased?  (Read 250 times)

Offline waynesize

Disappointed or pleased?
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »
I finally had the chance to try pizza from a mobile WFO vendor that I had heard good things about.  I am not going to bash their pizza, or their business. But, I am not sure if  I should be disappointed in their pizza, or be happy that I can make a better pie in my home oven.

I had a Margherita pie. The crust was okay. Decent flavor. They used salt on the rim, and added grated parm after the bake. I did not care for that part. Basil was added near the end of the bake.  Too much bench flour too. I did not time the bake, but it was not very quick. I'm guessing it was around 4 minutes.  Pies looked to be around 10 inches, and they were putting 2 or 3 in the oven at a time. I did not time how long it took to get my pizza from order to plate, but it was about 80% of a pint of brew.

I had hoped to be blown away by their pizza, but I was not.  I feel like I produce a similar, yet better, pizza at home in my electric oven.  People seem to enjoy their pizzas, so I will not give the name of their business, or post any pics. I will try it again another time. They frequent the local craft breweries, and I will eat their pizza again, when enjoying a great brew.

Still not sure how to feel. Maybe I will go with being happy that I can make better pizza at home.  :chef: :pizza:

Wayne

Offline dylandylan

• Supporting Member
Re: Disappointed or pleased?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »
Nice report - I'm similarly conflicted with pizza in my town.  There are two places to get pizza that isn't terrible but neither of which are outstanding, I would certainly do things differently and prefer my own pizza.  But I'm in a small town and I'm really glad that these two pizza operators exist at all - so I support them when I can by buying the occasional slice or pie even though I prefer my own.

That's not much of an answer... but I can understand where you're coming from!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »
Wayne, the better your pies are the more prevelant the feelings in your post will become. Your appreciation of better pizza grows as your baking experience grows. Unfortunately it may be harder and harder for you to find pies better than yours. To me the search is less frequent but still fun.
I bet many members here have similar experiences as you wrote about in your thread.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline waynesize

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
Dylan, I want to support the local guys, because I am glad they are doing what they do. I just wish I could be more enthusiastic about it. They do beat the big chain pizza places, which is not that hard to do.  ;D

Mark, you are correct. I have had a hard time finding pizza I like as good or better than my own since I began making my own. That has been several years now. I also found it to be the same with other foods I make at home. Most notably, Pulled Pork BBQ and Ribs.  I know it is easier to get great results on a smaller scale. Vendors have to make a consistent product in large quantities. I was just hoping to be more impressed with this one.  No doubt, others here, many others here, find it to bee the same. After the brief conversation I had with the young man that was working the oven, I don't think they have learned from this GREAT forum that we have.  I bet they could learn a little here, and make a better pie.  :)

Wayne

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:46:30 PM »
Wayne the only pizza I had up your way was at a place on Hardy Rd in Vinton, it wasn't to bad but that was 18 years ago before I got good with my own. I don't know if they are still open.
Time is money, money is power, power is pizza and pizza is knowledge.

Offline waynesize

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:25:28 AM »
Jeep, that must have been New York Pizza on Hardy Rd.  They are still there. I have had pizza there a couple of times. It is pretty good. We used to have some better places, but they have gone by the wayside.

Wayne

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:00:16 PM »
Yes that's the place, I used to get sausage parm sub with extra garlic.  :drool:
Time is money, money is power, power is pizza and pizza is knowledge.

pizzapan