Author Topic: Pizza Hut  (Read 10343 times)

xPHmgr

Pizza Hut
« on: January 16, 2004, 06:43:41 PM »
Well here is my two cents worth.  About 25 years ago I managed a Pizza Hut and so I can comment some on what I remember.  It has been a long time and I did not write down the dough recipes but I made hunreds of batches of dough for my store.

If I remember correctly the thin crust dough consisted of flour, yeast (fleischmann's dry), salt and vegetable oil.  I don't think it had any sugar in it at all and unfortunately I do not know what kind of flour it was.  We made it up each day and would typically not use it until the next day.  The dough was placed in a garbage type container in a food grade bag to rise.  The dough was scrappy as described in other threads on this site initially.  The dough was kept out at room temperature never refridgerated.  To make a pizza we would grab the appropriate amount of dough and run it through a sheeter.  The sheeter that we used had two parts.  The first pass at the top would make the initial round, flat dough disk shape into an elipsical shape somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 inch thick.  Then that would be turned so the long side was from left to right and then it would be ran through the lower unit of the sheeter.  This would produce a fairly round flat dough for the crust that was about 3/16 of an inch thick.  The dough was placed over a cutter pan and then conformed to the shape of the pan and then trimmed off using a rolling pin.  There was no oil used for the cutter pan.  And no additional flour was used... with one exception.  Sometimes the flour was too wet and if that happened some additional flour was thrown into the sheeter rollers so that the dough would not stick but that was the exception not the rule.

If my memory serves me well, for pan crust the ingredients were flour, yeast (fleischmann's again), powdered milk, salt, sugar and vegetable oil.  It was a different flour although again I do not know what kind.  The dough was placed in pre-oiled pans (1oz for small, 2oz for medium and 3oz for a large)... vegetable oil was used.  The dough was weighed for each pan to be filled (again I do not remember what the weight was for each) and then it was passed through the top part of the sheeter then by hand streched to a round shape instead of the eliptical shape and then put in the pan.  The pan was covered with a plastic disc and they were left out to rise.  When they had risen to almost touching the plastic disc they would be placed in the refridgerator.  They would be used that night or thrown out.

My assumptions about the flour for each type is that the thin crust was a lower gluten flour (AP or lower) and the pan crust was a high gluten flour (bread flour or higher).

Don't know if this helps but that is what I remembered...

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
Re:Okay, now I'm confused
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 09:44:02 PM »
Thats pretty close tho the way I remember at Pizza Inn.

I have had a lot of memories brought back recently.

Hopefully I will be able to share my notes at some point.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline naschol

• I'm a llama!
Re:Okay, now I'm confused
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 09:15:02 AM »
xPHmgr,

You should try the recipe posted from the Bread Baker's Apprentice.  It doesn't use any sugar and I really like it.  It makes a nice crispy crust, though I bake my pizzas on parchment on a pizza stone.  That may make a difference, because a stone will pull some of the moisture out of the product.

Nancy

xPHmgr

Re:Pizza Hut
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 05:15:30 PM »
Thanks,  I give that recipe a try.  Using the thin crust recipe on this site it comes pretty close to what I remember.  I've tried 00 flour and bread flour.  Next time I am going to try plain old AP flour and see how that goes.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 09:08:40 PM »
Highly recommend try Steve's under this topic:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=105

Even though it uses bread flour it comes out very good.

Hope you stick around and share your results.  You might want to regiester (its painless) as it gives you and us a tools to do things here on the board.
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline xPHmgr

• Pizza for all!
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
I registered and will share my experiences with everyone.  This site has been of great help in remembering most of what I thought I forgot...

pizzapan