Author Topic: Tonight's Pizzas/pics  (Read 6493 times)

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Tonight's Pizzas/pics
« on: November 04, 2005, 08:42:23 PM »
For the last month now we've been making 8 Lehmann's every Friday night.   Here's the first 2 from tonight.

First one has ham, pepperoni, bacon, mushrooms, onion, green red yellow peppers, black olives, pepper rings and way extra cheese (17.5 oz.).  ;D

(http://tinyurl.com/8m92w)
(http://tinyurl.com/chumo)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 10:26:07 PM by Nathan »
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
Re: Tonight's Pizza's pics
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 09:02:58 PM »
Here's #3 (the "cake").  Ham pepp pineapple.

(http://tinyurl.com/bpvy5)

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 09:07:54 PM »
Hi Nathan,

wow, I'm really impressed, great looking pizzas there, and very round also.... I just don't have much luck getting 'em "Pizzeria" looking,
yours looks amazing !

Mark

Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 09:08:54 PM »
#4.  This one is a "Western".   BBQ sauce, green pepper, bacon, mushroom, onion and extra ham.  Oh I forgot pepperoni too.

(http://tinyurl.com/9ym45)
(http://tinyurl.com/e2cwd)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 09:17:54 PM by Nathan »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 09:09:06 PM »
Nathan, those are some really beautiful pies.  They look just like the ones I saw in the windows of the pizzerias in New York!

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 09:13:31 PM »
Hey thanks.  The dough wasn't prime this time but still pretty good.   So far the "cake" one is the only one made with "retarded" dough.  I had a slight problem with the mixer last night and only got 4 made.  Usually I make them all at least a day ahead but preferably 2.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 09:35:08 PM »
Nathan,

Excellent job.

Can you tell us some more about the pizzas themselves? I am thinking about the sauce, the type of pepperoni and cheese, etc. My recollection is that you sought out some of the finest quality ingredients for your pizzas. I know also that you have a 19" Fibrament stone and a fairly new oven to go along with it. Did you bake the pizzas on the Fibrament, and solely on the Fibrament? Is the oven a convection oven?

How were the doughs that were not cold fermented prepared? Was it a long room-temperature fermentation? And did you detect a difference?

It looks like the pizzas held up well to all the toppings. I once did the same thing (but with other toppings) and I was surprised how well the Lehmann crust held up to all the toppings.

Making 8 pizzas every Friday night must mean you are one popular guy ;D.

Peter

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 10:11:17 PM »
I made the sauce last night.  It's Escalon's "Classic Pizza Sauce #1" http://www.escalon.net/retrieve_recipe_inc.asp?recipe_id=4 recipe with a slight change.  I have been using that recipe halved for quite a while now, and at first exactly the same only halved. But a few months ago I read somewhere that Dave Ostrander thought the best sauce he ever had (or one of the best) was made using Bonta Extra Heavy Puree 1.09 specific gravity.  So I ordered a case of #10 cans of it from GFS.  I'm using that recipe but substituting the Bonta pizza sauce with basil with the extra heavy puree and adding 7 grams of leaf basil to the sauce, since the puree doesn't have basil in it.  I think it's pretty good and haven't had any complaints at all.  But I never had any complaints using the recipe with the Bonta pizza sauce with basil either.    I love the stuff.   

The pepperoni is nothing special.  It's Primo Gusto (one of GFS's house brands).  I don't know for sure who is making it.

The cheese is GFS low moisture whole milk mozzarella that we shred ourselves with a salad shooter.  I know of 2 pizza places in town that use it and the one place is where I get pizza from if I order out.  I got tired of having to buy cases of Grande because I'd really rather not freeze it since they recommend not to, but I do have a 5# bag in the freezer of it right now  :-[

They were baked on the Fibrament (see pic).  I keep my old stone above. 

(http://tinyurl.com/8gz2t)

The "emergency" dough doesn't taste as good IMO but it handled the same.  I just doubled the yeast and adjusted the water temp so the dough came out of the mixer at 89 degrees instead of the usual 80 (it was a degree lower than what I was shooting for).  It rose at room temp (which was at least 85 with the oven cranking to get preheated) for about 2-2 1/2 hours.

I'm still using the King Arthur Sir Lancelot and I need to order more this week.  I probably only have a couple pounds left of the 50# bag that I ordered from Dutch Valley Foods back in April. 

Oh I forgot, with that sauce recipe I only use a half a can of water instead of a whole can.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 10:13:11 PM by Nathan »

Offline Danes Dad

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 10:16:27 PM »
Nathan - Great looking pies.  8 Lehmanns every friday?  I'd hate to see your cheese bill.  I see your complimenting your outstanding pies with a spectacular Busch beer, you can't go wrong ;D

Danes dad

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 10:21:42 PM »
Nathan - Great looking pies.  8 Lehmanns every friday?  I'd hate to see your cheese bill.  I see your complimenting your outstanding pies with a spectacular Busch beer, you can't go wrong ;D

Danes dad

(http://tinyurl.com/dvejr)(http://tinyurl.com/8kgaz)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 10:23:14 PM by Nathan »

Offline Danes Dad

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Tonight's Pizzas/pics
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2005, 12:16:29 PM »
Nathan - In all seriousness, making 8 pies every Friday I imagine would create a hefty bill.  I would be interested in hearing your estimate of how much it costs you to make each pie. 
Cheese is probably your biggest expense and putting over 17 oz. on each would be close to 9 lbs. of cheese in one night.  In your post you state your getting it in 5 lb portions which i'm sure is better than retail costs.  At my local Fred Mejers/Safeway 1 lb of Mozzarella is just under $5.  The best public deal is at a restaurant supply outlet which offers 5lb bags at $2/lb.  On top of that (literally) you have ham/pepperoni costs.  At the store pepperoni runs at about the same cost as mozzarella, $5/lb.

Pete-zza/scott r - you guys make a tremendous amount of pizza.  What do you guys estimate your pizza bill to be?

Danes dad

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 02:15:36 PM »
Danes Dad,

I don't pay any attention to pizza food costs. Making pizza is one of the cheapest hobbies I can think of. I also don't eat entire pizzas. I refrigerate/freeze leftover pizza and eat them at my leisure. I derive as much satisfaction from making pizzas as I do eating them. I learn from making the pizzas, which is good, and then I enjoy eating them, which is also good. That's why pizza making is such a good pasttime for me.

However, I did do some back of the envelope math to come up with typical pizza costs. For example, in the past week I made three Neapolitan style pizzas, two 12-inch thin and one 9-inch thick, each with Caputo 00 pizzeria flour, DOP San Marzano tomatoes (Famoso), processed low-fat part skim mozzarella cheese for two of the pizzas and fresh mozzarella cheese for the third pizza, basil from my 2005 estate-grown crop, and a swig of good olive oil. Both of the cheeses came from the supermarket. I estimate that the average cost for the three pizzas was about $2.40. I estimate that a 16-inch Lehmann pepperoni pizza with a 6-in-1 tomato sauce, herbs.seasonings, mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni costs me about $4.00. But that cost assumes a King Arthur Sir Lancelot (KASL) flour cost of about $0.25/lb, which is based on buying a 50-lb. bag of the KASL. Deep-dish pizzas are perhaps the most expensive pizzas I make because they require far more in the way of ingredients. However, I rarely eat more than one or two slices, so the leftovers go a long way and help amortize the higher initial cost.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005, 02:38:30 PM »
I was doing really great with my pizza costs for a while.  I was lucky to have a bunch of foodservice providers here that were willing to sell me cheese flour and tomatoes at wholesale prices. I didn't even think twice about inviting a bunch of friends over and making 10 pies.  Everything was cool until.................  I fell in love with buffalo mozzarella.  The problem with this stuff is the fact that it goes bad so much faster than processed mozzarella.  I could buy a few six pound loaves of processed mozzarella and use them up over a month or so.  I can only get buffalo mozzarella at decent wholesale prices if I buy a whole case, and that is way too much cheese to use up in a weekend.  Now my cheese cost has gone from 2.50 a pound to 15.  At this point I am just eating the costs, and trying not to invite so many friends over.  I have noticed that some of my regular "customers" appear to be planning a revolt. ;D

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2005, 03:20:17 PM »
I figured out cost a couple weeks ago but not for all the ingredients used last night. Here's what I came up with:

.99-Ham (Half whole smoked GFS shaved @ 1.99/lb. 8 oz.)
1.71-Cheese 12.5 oz. @ 2.19/lb. (GFS Low Moisture Whole Milk Mozz.)
.32-Pepperoni 2.3 oz. ($11 per 5# bag Primo Gusto)
.70 Mushrooms
.55-Flour
.35-Sauce
.50-Box

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2005, 03:39:49 PM »
Here's 5 and 6 from last night.   We decided to wait and make the last 2 tonight.

(http://tinyurl.com/97nbn)
(http://tinyurl.com/9py24)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 06:41:39 PM »
Is that a "Cake " I see there in the last photo ? ;)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 01:14:59 AM »
Cake city............ :-X

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 09:22:00 PM »
These are tonight's pizzas.  The cheese pizza baked in 90 seconds, and I let the mushroom and olive pizza bake for a little longer at 2 minutes.

- red.november

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
... more pictures ...

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 01:41:15 AM »
RN,

Unreal!! Great pies, my friend!!!!

You must be screwing around with your home oven!

90 secs??? That's sick.  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/