Author Topic: New User  (Read 303 times)

Offline gardenmoon

New User
« on: September 13, 2012, 06:45:03 PM »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Carla, and I'm new to this forum, just having discovered it last night. My husband and I live in the North Bay of California Wine Country.

Yesterday we received delivery of a food trailer, which we originally intended to use as a commercial kitchen for my husband's smoked salmon business. This used trailer just happened to be also fitted with a wood burning pizza oven. We figured that rather than immediately removing this special feature of the trailer and putting on our blinders with interest only in the smoked salmon, we'd have some pizza fun and maybe even come up with a recipe for smoked salmon pizza! And maybe even eventually take it to a festival or two for even more fun!

The seller spent half a day schooling us in the building and tending of the fire, and the making of pizza using his dough recipe. The trial pizzas we baked using his dough recipe didn't thrill me - the crust seemed lacking to me, although my husband loved it. I spent my early childhood in Chicago, loving the thin crust pizzas there. I think I may have some long-suppressed memory of what a good pizza tastes like based on those early days and so I went searching the internet for possible recipes. The crust we made yesterday was crisp and tender. I think I'm looking for something that's still crisp, but more chewy. Would that describe the typical Chicago thin crust? Or am I confusing the crust with a good Italian bread?

I'm looking forward to learning lots from all of you. I took a look at the forums and you seem to be speaking another language! I hope I will find a legend for all the acronyms you use and the description of how to use the percentages listed for the ingredients. (I was always good at math, but I'm a little lost here!) I'm excited to have found such a promising resource for my pizza and I thank you in advance for such a great site.

Carla

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: New User
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 07:13:22 PM »
Carla,

Welcome to the forum.

If you go back to Reply 1 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13789.msg194999.html#new, you will find links to the forum's Pizza Glossary and to a list of abbreviations that should help you get up to speed. For a discussion of baker's percents, you might take a look at the multi-part tutorial at http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2008/03/22/bakers-percentage-1/ and the King Arthur article at http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/bakers-percentage.html.

Peter

Offline veebo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:40:48 PM »
Do you mind if I ask you some info about the trailer?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 02:06:08 PM »
veebo,

You might send Carla a PM about the trailer.

Peter