Author Topic: Chef Boyardee pizza kit  (Read 79415 times)

Offline timmus

• I Love Pizza!
Chef Boyardee pizza kit
« on: November 09, 2005, 01:46:19 PM »
Anyone remember the Chef Boyardee pizza kits?  (NOT the frozen ones, if such a thing exists)

I always remember that there was something distinctively delicious about the sauce... it always had a peppery or smoky bite.  Any idea what that seasoning was?  I'm sure the quality of Chef Boyardee is arguable, but that taste was great and I'd like to incorporate it in some real pizza recipes.

Tim

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Re: Chef Boyardee pizza kit
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 06:36:50 AM »
I like them. :) Esp. the pepperoni kind. The pepperoni's are a ltttle smaller than a dime, and quite tasty. :)

I have a pictures of one I made somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2005, 06:53:22 AM by Trinity »
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 06:59:11 AM »
Ahh, Here we go,,, :)

It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 06:59:43 AM »
2nd.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 07:00:17 AM »
3rd pic.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 07:22:02 AM »
They are still around. If you can't find it at the store, then the internet is the place.
I like them. Are they good? That's up to you to decide. I have some great childhood memories with the stuff. I remember the cheese being very flavorful and pungent. The cheese now is okay, but not what it was.
Do a search and you'll find other discussions on this. ;D

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 02:14:44 PM »
TIMMUS:
   Good afternoon. I have a recipe for you that you are seeking. It is not well known, & very hard to find. I have not tried it as of yet but I will soon. People who have tried it have said that is very very close to the Chef Boyardee pizza sauce that they remember.

COMES NOW:

(1) 8, oz can of Hunts tomato sauce.
1/2 tsp of dried oregano
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. Natures Seasons (Can be found in spice section of your super market).

Vary this seasoning to your taste. I hope you will find this recipe close enough to what you remember of Chef Boyardees Pizza sauce as others have. Good luck my friend & have a nice day.
  ~DINKS.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 02:17:52 PM »
DINKS,

So nice to hear from you again. I hope that all is well. I miss your penetrating analysis of dough physics and chemistry and for helping keep me honest in my discussions of same.

Peter

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 02:30:26 PM »
PETER:
  Good afternoon to you my learned friend. I thank-you for your kind sentiment. I came back hoping that I can further learn from you. In time I now I shall. Thank-you again for the kind welcome. Have a nice day my friend.
  ~CASS.

Offline Aaron

• I'm a Beaver fan
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2005, 11:19:57 AM »
Lots in the grocers in Canada.
Aaron

Offline Campy

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2005, 03:22:10 PM »
If you are having trouble finding the Chef Boyardee go to:  http//www.hometownfavorites.com and search for pizza.  They have the Chef Boyardee and the Appian Way pizza, which is what I grew up on.   

Offline timmus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 08:52:27 PM »
OK, I have to give a thumbs-up to dinks' pizza recipe.  I just tried it tonight and it made a great pizza.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 09:33:58 PM »
I have used them to help teach my boys (5 & 7).  They are a lot quicker and better for their attention span.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2005, 12:36:18 AM »
I remember these awful things!  I wonder if I would have any better luck with them than my parents did?  I'm going to have to track one down and give it a try.  I can still remember that sauce.

Offline pondoro

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006, 07:45:18 PM »
I remember these, it was the '60's and mom made lots of stuff that no one would eat today. She was a good cook but the women's magazines were full of Velveeta recipes and the stores were full of Spam, TV dinners, and box pizza. Plus the nearest pizza joint was 5 miles away and we only ate out once or twice a month. So ths Apian Way and Chef Boy R Dee pizzas were a treat.

I think I should make one just to tease my kids. Accompanied by a salad made from just iceberg lettuce and that orange French dressing. Let them stay up late and watch Bonanza.

Offline T-Man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 07:06:37 PM »
"I think I should make one just to tease my kids. Accompanied by a salad made from just iceberg lettuce and that orange French dressing. Let them stay up late and watch Bonanza."

And yet, it didn't get any better than that at the time...

Offline pizzoid

• Lifetime Member
  • A Hideous, Addictive, substance dependency
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2006, 02:58:55 PM »
Anyone remember the Chef Boyardee pizza kits?  (NOT the frozen ones, if such a thing exists)

I always remember that there was something distinctively delicious about the sauce... it always had a peppery or smoky bite.  Any idea what that seasoning was?  I'm sure the quality of Chef Boyardee is arguable, but that taste was great and I'd like to incorporate it in some real pizza recipes.

Tim

Just for a lark, I did an experiment sure to go down in the annals of Hideous Science Experiments. I bought a Chef B kit on sale in a local store, and said to myself, what If I applied some of the things learned here?

So I added some yeast (the dough kit has none), autolyse, long kneading, overnight retard in the fridge, the works.

Then the real abomination part of the experiment - I put Grande cheese on it! (As you all may recall, the kit only comes with some grated Romano-parmesan like substance).

Turned out  edible, and better than I actually remembered. I still wouldn't call it good, but it did bring back memories. It also gave me a refresh on what the sauce tastes like.  You might find similarities to that "something distinctively delicious" if you get your hands on some of Stanislaus' Pizzaiolo sauce.

- Al

Offline vr6Dad

• Green Eggs & Pizza
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 03:12:27 PM »
We used to make these all the time at my grandparents' house growing up. When I was a teenager, I used to make them at home on the weekends for lunch. I never liked the regular cheese version (white box?) or the sausage version (red box). I only liked the pepperoni in the green box. Now they come in a red box.

I used to dress them up with Kraft shredded Mozz and other toppings, but to be honest, the best flavor was the simplest - straight from the box with nothing extra. :)

Wow, we've come a long way.
Cheers, Adrian
Big Green Egg

Offline chewie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 01:33:37 AM »
Heheheh. I'm almost embarrassed to admit I still buy this product and make it regularly.

But I HAVE to add extra parmesian and romana to the pizza.  The basic kit doesn't give you enough.

I actually had a parmesan canister I kept a premix of parmesian and romano in, until I found stores selling parmesian/romana canisters.

I also found a can of the sauce to use for home made dough, but I haven't used it yet.  Reading the ingredients, I realized why it was so tasty.  It has of corn syrup in it!  I think it's the second largest ingredient.  Tomato sauce, corn syrup, salt, and a few other spices, and you've made the sauce.

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 09:26:36 AM »
Spot on, Pondoro!  And you really hated to hear the Bonanza theme because you knew it was the last TV show of the evening.  Go to bed and then... SCHOOL.