Author Topic: Chef Boyardee pizza kit  (Read 76219 times)

Offline Bryan S

Re: Chef Boyardee pizza kit
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2007, 12:56:28 AM »
I saw this kit for the first time in a long time at Target the other day... I'm going to pick one up and make it.  Never had it before
I'm waiting to hear your thoughts on the Chef Boyardee Pizza. See we all had it as kids growing up and it's one of those childhood memories we like to go back to. Really curious as to your opion as an adult never having this boxed treat as a kid, should be interresting.  8)
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2007, 01:10:32 AM »
my wife used to eat this as a kid, so we will have two opinions in one shot... someone who's had it before as a kid and someone who's never had it.  :-)  She remembers it being "awful" though, but says she thinks her and her brother overcooked it. 
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline The Pontificator

• Angry Samoan
« Reply #62 on: December 29, 2007, 09:12:51 AM »
Saw the CB pizza kits at an area Piggly Wiggly store yesterday.

I didn't buy one but might someday...just for laffs.  :-D
"I hope you choke on a biscotti!"

Offline lemurtx

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2008, 09:28:08 AM »
Just found this forum!  I also just bought a Chef Boyardee pizza kit over the weekend, haven't made it yet. My Mom used to make these when I was a kid.  She had this big aluminum tray (yikes!) and would spread the dough out thin using butter. I'd help too, we'd rub butter on our hands and start spreading. She'd add onions, hamburger, and what she called "mango"--which was a green pepper (i've never heard anyone else refer to green peppers as "mangos", I grew up in Indiana...) The crust was very thin and mushy, not crispy, and the toppings were heavy, so you couldn't pick it up, had to be eaten with a fork. I loved it!  I bought all the ingredients to make one like my Mom used to (sans aluminum tray!)

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2008, 06:12:13 AM »
Well take a few pictures for us if you can. :chef:
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2008, 09:01:38 AM »
Was browsing and found this page. :)

http://www.tastymadness.com/category/chef-boyardee-pizza-kit/

Fixin' to make the kit I bought a few weeks ago... :)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

buceriasdon

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2008, 10:04:47 AM »
Hi!,Thanks for the link, I got a good chuckle. So how much salt is in one serving?
 Warm regards, Don

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2008, 10:38:53 AM »
http://www.tastymadness.com/category/chef-boyardee-pizza-kit/

According to the blogger, the Chef Boyardee pizza tastes like pasta.  Mmmm.

So how much salt is in one serving?

It might depend on the type of pizza kit since apparently there are more than one, but according to calorie-count.com there is 750 mg of sodium, or about 1.9 g of salt.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2008, 11:58:30 AM »
It might depend on the type of pizza kit since apparently there are more than one, but according to calorie-count.com there is 750 mg of sodium, or about 1.9 g of salt.

When I was in the supermarket this morning, I checked the nutrition label on a Chef Boyardee cheese pizza kit. A serving size (there are eight servings) has 730 mg. sodium. By my calculation, that would be between 1/4 and 1/3 t. salt. I also saw the 730 mg. figure at http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/generic/chef-boyardee-pizza-kit.

Peter

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2008, 10:12:58 AM »

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
NY Style Pizza Kit
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2009, 07:42:34 AM »
Ok, Here is trin's "NY Style" CBA Pizza kit. :chef:

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2009, 07:46:03 AM »
More Photos. :D

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2009, 07:47:52 AM »
And the last two photos. :chef:

Time to eat it!!! :pizza:

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2009, 08:05:12 AM »
Trin,

I am nominating you to the Chef Boyardee Hall of Fame :chef:.

If Ettore Boiardi, the "Chef", were alive today, he would have you as the official photographer of his pizzas 8).

As an aside, wouldn't you think that the company should know whether there is milk in their product?

Peter
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 08:11:46 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2009, 08:34:38 AM »
Trin,

I am nominating you to the Chef Boyardee Hall of Fame :chef:.

If Ettore Boiardi, the "Chef", were alive today, he would have you as the official photographer of his pizzas 8).

As an aside, wouldn't you think that the company should know whether there is milk in their product?

Peter

Yeah... And better yet. How on earth can you have pizza without cheese (made with milk) anyway... ??? :-D

Probably covering there butt's in case of allergy lawsuit.

oop's trin bad.... :-[

"PIZZA MARINARA: Also known as Napoletana. A cheeseless pizza topped with tomato, olive oil, oregano, and fresh garlic. See also NEAPOLITAN STYLE PIZZA."

« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:09:54 AM by Trinity »

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »
I suspect the "May contain milk" information is indeed some legalism.  Under the FDA, the company is required to list ingredients, but not necessarily their sources.  It may be one of the ingredients is derived from cow's milk.  It's also possible they may neglect to add a particular ingredient based on possible unavailability. 

The same thing happens with pharmaceuticals.  Drug companies are required to list both the active and inactive ingredients on their labeling (drug's package insert).  However, the companies are not required to provide the sources of those ingredients, nor will they guarentee the source may not change depending on availability.  This comes up a lot these days with regard to gluten content.  A company might be able to say their product generally does not contain gluten based on current and expected sources of inactive ingredients, like starch, but that doesn't mean every lot that comes off the line from now to eternity will have the same starch from the same source depending on who supplies them the inactive ingredients.  There is no requirement for the suppliers to notify the companies if they have to change sources, a long as the inactive ingredient meets USP and NF requirements.

So, in essence, Trinity is right.  It's a legal thing. ;)
Let them eat pizza.

Offline pizzaland

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »
I remember the kits loved them back in the late 70's I think alot of places still carry them. The only problem I thought was you had to get to boxes to have enough dough. I use the Hunts Fire Roasted add a little olive oil, seasalt and garlic salt but the one from chef boyardee was really good!

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2009, 08:53:02 AM »
A 'little' off topic... :-D

How about some cba ravioli. ;D

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2009, 11:24:12 AM »
Drool away Trinity AKA king of the CBYD,I found em!

Wont buy em -
But I found em  :P
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2009, 01:37:13 PM »
Drool away Trinity AKA king of the CBYD,I found em!

Wont buy em -
But I found em  :P

Plus rep for you! :)