Author Topic: Cento DOP Tomatoes are back?  (Read 3323 times)

Online TXCraig1

Cento DOP Tomatoes are back?
« on: September 20, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
I saw these today at both Central Market and Whole Foods. I don't see them listed on their website. I don't know if they are any good. I'm not paying $5 for a can of tomatoes.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Cento DOP Tomatoes are back?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 05:30:36 PM »
I thought the Cento "Certified" were the same as the DOP. ??? They seemed to appear when the DOPs disappeared. Either way, I agree, $5 is too much. Like you, I'm perfectly happy with Cento Italian style.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 05:44:26 PM »
I thought the Cento "Certified" were the same as the DOP. ??? They seemed to appear when the DOPs disappeared. Either way, I agree, $5 is too much. Like you, I'm perfectly happy with Cento Italian style.

I remember reading (I think on the Cento website) that they went from DOP to Certified because the DOP certification process was too burdensome. They said nothing changed about the process, they just stopped seeking the DOP stamp. Maybe they lost a bunch of business?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 06:34:08 PM »
I remember scottr talking about looking for the ROA1 on the top years ago. Those cans may be old stock - I can't decipher the date stamping.

John

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 06:40:00 PM »
I remember scottr talking about looking for the ROA1 on the top years ago. Those cans may be old stock - I can't decipher the date stamping.

John

I don't think they are old stock. I don't remember either store having them the last time I was in them. Or maybe the distributor found them in their warehouse?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 07:21:19 PM »
I guess im the newbie around here, so...whats DOP mean/stand for?
Chaz

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:26:13 PM »
I guess im the newbie around here, so...whats DOP mean/stand for?

Chaze,

See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20056.0.html and also the forum's Pizza Glossary at
http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html#D.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:29:10 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
Thanks for the link Pete!
Chaz

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 07:42:17 PM »
I saw these today at both Central Market and Whole Foods. I don't see them listed on their website. I don't know if they are any good. I'm not paying $5 for a can of tomatoes.
Cento's are your go to , right Craig? Which ones do you get there in TX and how much $ ? Around like 3 bucks, right?  The can say "certified" ?
Oh wait...you're are a bigger can than the 28oz normally seen , correct?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 07:45:10 PM »

John

I remember him talking about ROA also , I think the ROA might have been the part of the code designating the plant where they were packaged.  It was so long ago that I could be remembering wrong

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 07:18:35 AM »
I don't think they are old stock. I don't remember either store having them the last time I was in them. Or maybe the distributor found them in their warehouse?

Currently on their website they don't show that can for their DOP - it is still the "Certified" label. Maybe they finally got the certifications worked out, and are switching back. But I like the price of the "Certified" at $3.69.

Deb - I did a search for scott's posts and he references ROA1 for cans of the Italian tomatoes, not SM. Not sure what to make of the ones in this thread either way.

John

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 07:31:44 AM »

Deb - I did a search for scott's posts and he references ROA1 for cans of the Italian tomatoes, not SM. Not sure what to make of the ones in this thread either way.

John

found it, from 2007    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5303.msg45013.html#msg45013

The old cans that I love have a code stamped on top that says ROA 1 PELATI.  That code tells you who the packer was.

I think he was talking about Italian in that post also but it could be possible for the packer to pack more than one type

just checked what I have - the certified SM do not have it but the 35 oz italian have the ROA1 PELATI on them

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 10:28:16 AM »
All of the 35oz cans in my pantry have it too.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 12:51:39 PM »
Since your all Cento DOP Tomatoes fans and are willing to pay extra for them, I would love to hear how you make your pizza sauce using them.

I have tried a can. I crushed them with a potatoe masher and added garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Turned out pretty good. I know of some Pizzerias that use crushed San Marzano tomatoes with only a little Sea Salt added. These are wood fire oven Pizzeras. Also, I was told to NOT cook them. Just use them right out of the can.

So tell me what you do with your Cento Tomates for pizza????

Thank you

TomN
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:55:13 PM by TomN »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »
Since your all Cento DOP Tomatoes fans and are willing to pay extra for them, I would love to hear how you make your pizza sauce using them.

I have tried a can. I crushed them with a potatoe masher and added garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Turned out pretty good. I know of some Pizzerias that use crushed San Marzano tomatoes with only a little Sea Salt added. These are wood fire oven Pizzeras. Also, I was told to NOT cook them. Just use them right out of the can.

So tell me what you do with your Cento Tomates for pizza????

Thank you

TomN

Tom, I use the Cento Italian in the 35oz can, not the DOP (28oz can). I pull out the basil leaves and run them through a OXO food mill with coarse plate. I add salt and sugar to taste. It's generally about 1tsp salt and 1/2Tbs sugar for the 35oz can. I never cook the sauce.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 01:47:47 PM »

Tom, I use the Cento Italian in the 35oz can, not the DOP (28oz can). I pull out the basil leaves and run them through a OXO food mill with coarse plate. I add salt and sugar to taste. It's generally about 1tsp salt and 1/2Tbs sugar for the 35oz can. I never cook the sauce.

Craig

Craig,

A few questions for you. Why pull out the basil leaves? Also, I never thought of adding sugar since these tomatoes are suppose to be naturally sweeter. At least that is what I was told. I will give this a try on my next can of San Mazano Tomatoes. Thank you for your thoughts on this.

TomN
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:00:11 PM by TomN »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 03:11:43 PM »
Craig,

A few questions for you. Why pull out the basil leaves? Also, I never thought of adding sugar since these tomatoes are suppose to be naturally sweeter. At least that is what I was told. I will give this a try on my next can of San Mazano Tomatoes. Thank you for your thoughts on this.

TomN

I pull any basil leaves out because I don't want dark green specks in my sauce. Sometimes the tomatoes are sweet enough, but they usually need a little help getting to where I want them. Some people dismiss adding sugar out of hand. I disagree with that. I find this to be true for DOP SM's as well.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 03:17:44 PM »
Sometimes the tomatoes are sweet enough, but they usually need a little help getting to where I want them. Some people dismiss adding sugar out of hand. I disagree with that. I find this to be true for DOP SM's as well.

Often the San Marzano tomatoes are described as sweet. I never thought that that was so for the SMs I tried. I would describe them more as low-acid tomatoes, at least to my palate.

Peter

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »
Often the San Marzano tomatoes are described as sweet. I never thought that that was so for the SMs I tried. I would describe them more as low-acid tomatoes, at least to my palate.

Peter

Same here.

The DOP Centos have showed up at my local HEB too.
Pizza is not bread.