Author Topic: Pizza Oven in Outdoor Kitchen Project  (Read 15946 times)

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Oven in Outdoor Kitchen Project
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »
Nice arena in background.  Yours? 

Offline Reep

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 12:54:57 AM »
Nice arena in background.  Yours? 

It could be if my girls were into horses as much as I would like to be.  The area you saw is actually an empty lot that some neighbors ride in.  Next to that is a lot with 2.5 horses (1 mini).  We are zoned for three horses, but so far I don't having any takers for stall mucking, so the back of our lot is just empty for now.

Offline Reep

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Okay, oven is on the way from MD soon.  I need to reread Robyn's thread for construction tips.  I'll take pictures as it progresses. 

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2012, 05:33:29 PM »
Let me know if you have any questions!  You have my email.  You must be so excited!!  Keep us informed  ;D

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 09:24:59 PM »
Reep Is that the 1500 Lateral we spoke of going on there ?
Yes I think you need more concrete may not hold up!  :-D
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 09:32:44 PM »
It could be if my girls were into horses as much as I would like to be.  The area you saw is actually an empty lot that some neighbors ride in.  Next to that is a lot with 2.5 horses (1 mini).  We are zoned for three horses, but so far I don't having any takers for stall mucking, so the back of our lot is just empty for now.
It is still a very nice view though...congats on the oven man!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Reep

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »
Here are some pictures of the same model (1500 short, not lateral).  It is equivalent to a raised 950, but with an extension in the middle.  Antoine put one together and took some pictures:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 12:19:57 PM by Reep »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
{jealous}  That looks really great - I wish it had been an option for us.  I love our oven, but I definitely would have gone for the raised if I could have.  Can't wait to hear how you like it. 

Offline Reep

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »
{jealous}  That looks really great - I wish it had been an option for us.  I love our oven, but I definitely would have gone for the raised if I could have.  Can't wait to hear how you like it. 

Definitely a three cat oven.  The problem is I only have two kitties so it will remain untested.

Offline Reep

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »
Crates are arriving at the house this afternoon.  If it was for my darn job I could start assembly.  I'll make sure and get uncrating pictures, but it may not happen until this weekend.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »
It's the work you do that pays for the play! 

Since you brought it up, what's your occupation?
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Reep

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2012, 06:31:28 PM »
It's the work you do that pays for the play!  

Since you brought it up, what's your occupation?

Patent Attorney.  Fun job getting to help people with their inventions.

And here is the first unveiling.  I was glad to see that the raised piece was added at the factory.  I thought that could be one more joint I had to seal when setting it up.  I might need to friends instead of one to help lift the pieces though.  The second picture is looking through the opening of the oven.  The bottom picture is the middle extension piece, which turns a 950B into a 1500B "short", although it looks plenty big.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:35:19 PM by Reep »

scott123

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »
Patent Attorney.

A patent attorney?  Really?  I'll trade you pizzamaking knowledge for legal advice  ;D Right now I've got at least 10 highly marketable ideas sitting around collecting dust because I'm too cheap to hire a lawyer  :)

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2012, 07:41:05 PM »
Two friends??   :-D :-D :-D

Unless one of those friends is the Incredible Hulk, you will need at LEAST 3 friends and probably more.  For our smaller oven, when it came time to lift the dome pieces into place, we had FIVE guys and it still wasn't easy.  Line up some extras  ;)

Offline Reep

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2012, 07:51:21 PM »
Two friends??   :-D :-D :-D

Unless one of those friends is the Incredible Hulk, you will need at LEAST 3 friends and probably more.  For our smaller oven, when it came time to lift the dome pieces into place, we had FIVE guys and it still wasn't easy.  Line up some extras  ;)

I'm not shocked, I may end up using the tractor.  I have a back hoe that might clear the wall to the cooking area and let me move the pieces that way.  Obviously that would have to be done carefully or my new FGM would turn quickly into wrecking ball.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »
Rent a rubber tire/track mini back hoe.....

Offline Reep

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2012, 07:59:27 PM »
I actually will see if the loader on mine can clear the fence with the pieces attached.  That would be easier to control.  If it doesn't, then I'll have to find some friends.  How many of us 40 to 50 year olds have friends with good backs?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:02:14 PM by Reep »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2012, 08:29:35 PM »
Since you're a patent attorney you probably still have lots of friends....offer a free pizza party to their strapping youngsters.... ;)

Offline ForrestM

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
Awesome!  Thanks for keeping us updated.  I look forward to watching your progress.

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2012, 09:32:41 PM »
Lifting the pieces into place takes about 2 to 3 people with a 2x4 that you pass through the metal wire loops. 2 young and strong guys with good backs to lift and one to guide them. I usually do the guiding  :-D
It is harder when the stand is kind of high-up. Then it is more like 3 or 4 people with a couple of 2x4. It is helpful to set-up either a little step-stool or scaffolding.
But it is so rewarding when it is all done  ;D

WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Reep

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2012, 11:43:29 PM »
Thanks Antoine.  I tried horsing around a couple of the floor pieces tonight and couldn't even budge them by myself.  I guess that puts it into perspective.  I guess I need to start promising pizza to a lot of friends because all mine have mid-life backs.

Antoine, in Robyn's installation, it looks like she has a bottom ceramic insulation, then a concrete looking layer, then the floor of the oven.  For mine it looks like I am to use two layers of the ceramic insulation and then the oven floor, is that correct?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:51:40 PM by Reep »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 12:13:01 AM »
Reep, what up 'ol boy? Did you let your gym membership go ...slack!   ;D
j/k dude...git er done man, you gonna enjoy it.  :chef:
Bob

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 08:33:48 PM »
Antoine, in Robyn's installation, it looks like she has a bottom ceramic insulation, then a concrete looking layer, then the floor of the oven.  For mine it looks like I am to use two layers of the ceramic insulation and then the oven floor, is that correct?

It takes 2 people to move the floor pieces and more like 3 for the dome pieces. Just spend all day doing just that.

Yes, you are correct for the floor installation.
Robin actually had something called vermiculite insulation which is standard with the older model of FGM ovens imported to the US.
Since I took over the import I told FGM to keep their vermiculite floor insulation. I personally add ceramic fiber board when the ovens arrive to my warehouse.  It is a little more expensive but a lot more efficient and easier to work with. Quality, only quality.

Yours is the same as Robyn's installation in the fashion that you will put the insulation, 2" total of ceramic fiber boards, 2 layers of the 1" thick boards. Over the insulation you will put the concrete floor and then the refractory brick tiles over it.
I have seen the center concrete piece of the concrete floor a little lower than the the front and back piece before. So when you will put the brick tiles you may need to put a little of the refractory clay between the tiles and the concrete to slightly raise them.

Call me if you have any question during the instal.

Antoine

WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline Reep

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »
Thanks Antoine.  The installation should be easy, and I think I may only need one guy.  Chicago Bob goes to the gym often and I think he will be able to come down and place the pieces by himself.   :angel:

I will probably end up doing it on three stages.  First have my pizza loving friend over to help place the floor.  Second, set the floor tiles, and third, bring in some big guys to help put the dome pieces in place.  Mine will be a bit tricky because the back side of the oven platform drops another 18" so I may have to set up some scaffolding on that side in order for them to lift it high enough.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 01:10:35 PM »
Sounds like a plan.  ;)
"mid-life backs"....you crack me up Mr. Reep.  ;D
Hope it all goes smoothly for you. Call if you run into any snags.

pizzapan