Author Topic: Best WFO for the money currently available in US?  (Read 4920 times)

Offline johnnydoubleu

• Thrill junkie. Baker. Cook. Coder. Aesthete.
    • johnwozniak.com
Best WFO for the money currently available in US?
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »
What is the general consensus as to what the best WFO is (for pizza of course) for the money?
http://www.fourgrandmere.com/en/ ?

Would like to build an oven/put one together in upstate NY at my sister's place. I also may need one for a restaurant within the next year or so.

Don't want it to be just an OK, 1st stab, I want it to be a quality oven out of the gate. I have an expert mason available as well as access to almost any building materials.

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
Re: Best WFO for the money currently available in US?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
With all the opinionated folks around here I'm a bit disappointed no one has a suggestion. :(

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 09:59:38 PM »
Its a question that gets asked repeatedly and we have recently been worn out buy personal  opinions along with  various facts.  Almost afraid to say what I like any more  cus someone somehow will find fault with it? That said its a personal descicion. For resurant go with a Stefano ferraro, forno Napaletano or MV forni, think we can all agree on that one  OOPs or Acunto  (sorrry craig)  for home oven well I aint touchin that one
Narrow your  search, what you gonna do in it, (how many) size, Budget?  and are you concerned on dome hieght  :-D
John
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:17:46 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

scott123

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 10:11:55 PM »
I'm not afraid JohnC  ;D The FGM 950B...

...with the understanding that an inner door insert that drops the door height 2-3" should save wood and shorten pre-heat times.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 10:18:27 PM »
007 sure is becoming quite Diplomatic during these successful days of his.... ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

enter8

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 10:20:43 PM »
I have an expert mason available as well as access to almost any building materials."

If so, then perhaps on-site build might be the better option? (I'm assuming you're ruling out importing a Vera Forno Napoletano)

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
I have an expert mason available as well as access to almost any building materials.

Me too. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20117.0.html
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 10:42:25 PM »
Me too. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20117.0.html
Objection, irrelevant.  Said craftsman is located too far away from Brooklyn jurisdiction.  :pizza:
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 10:58:28 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 11:15:45 PM »
scott, ok um  :-[ thatswhat what I was gonna say for the FGM 950 b raised 
J
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »
Yeah.  There's a lot of factors.  It's a hard question to answer without some parameters. 

1. budget
2. space
3. permanent / movable
4. needed capacity
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »
You forgot one, Pizzaneer: 
Type of pizza you want to cook.

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »
Best bang for your buck was what I am after. I want an opportunity to cook in these various ovens as well. I have only cooked and baked in the Ferrara in Greenpoint and a friend's self-made WFO (as far as WFO's go).

If it was modular and movable that would be ideal.

Capacity for a home one would not need to be that great -- 2-3 pies. For a restaurant WFO I think I would want something bigger than the Ferrara at PG's.

Budget is going to be partially determined by what the market prices are for these ovens -- they cost what they cost and that's what I'll have to pay.

I think it is mostly implied that a WFO would be used for Neapolitan/Nearlypolitan. I could bake other styles when it is cooler but these ovens lose heat fairly quickly when used for unfired cooking.

I do want something that is easy to get good results with/not tempermental.

@Jet_deck I'd certainly hire you if you are building the oven I'm after. Be great to try out your oven some time when you are done.

What do you guys think of http://www.marraforni.com/ and http://www.acunto.it/en/our-ovens/ovens ? For those that have used them and used a Ferrara, have you noticed differences?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:44:28 PM by johnnydoubleu »

scott123

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 11:48:10 PM »
I'm just passing this information along. When asked why he preferred his Acunto, Roberto said that it was considerably heavier (2K lbs.?) than the Ferrara.

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 11:52:28 PM »
Thanks Scott. That is helpful.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 12:01:40 AM »
The flaw of the Acunto is that it relies on a medium density insulation as a bolster for the dome.  For commercial use, this is not a real problem, as the oven is always in use and maintains latent heat.  For personal use, however, it means a very long firing time if you only use it once or thrice a month. 

Best bang for the occasional pizza cook is going to be a heavily insulated thin (2-3 inch) refractory mass, and not very big.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 12:29:24 AM »
With all the opinionated folks around here I'm a bit disappointed no one has a suggestion. :(

John, Sorry I missed this the first time around. If I didn't have my oven and I didn't want to spend that much, I would be looking very hard at the MV Forni for a complete oven and the FGM if I wanted a modular oven.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 12:37:28 AM »
@Jet_deck I'd certainly hire you if you are building the oven I'm after. Be great to try out your oven some time when you are done.

You are welcome here anytime with 24 hours notice.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline johnnydoubleu

• johnwozniak.com
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
Thanks everyone -- I am feeling slightly more informed yet far from having the clarity I need to make this decision. I really wish there was a place that had many of these ovens side by side so I/one could compare. I still feel like I am shooting in the dark.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
Thanks everyone -- I am feeling slightly more informed yet far from having the clarity I need to make this decision. I really wish there was a place that had many of these ovens side by side so I/one could compare. I still feel like I am shooting in the dark.
It's intimidating to say the least.
But you do have some pretty experienced people here forming a consensus on maybe 3-4 different ovens. Research the heck out of those and hopefully you'll be able to make a confident choice. Good luck.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 07:37:39 AM »

Johnny - I don't think it is that dire, and although you have already cooked in a SF, I would not compare that oven to a small one for home use. Tom had some good wisdom. I have a FB Primaveria 28" oven and it takes me 45 minutes to get up to Neapolitan temps. I can only cook one pizza at a time, but I usually have lass than 10 people to cook for on a weekly basis. If you get a NP oven from Naples, you will be looking at a minimum 3-4 hours pre-heat.

You want to look for a refractory castable. FGM and FB have great ovens for home use and fit this bill. The pre-made ones are probably what you want to look at. I would take a look at ovens with 38-40in diameters if you want to make more than one pizza at a time (and have that skill-set!). Dome height is important - but not critical. Most all FB ovens have an acceptable dome height for Neapolitan pizza if you have the dough skills to adapt to the oven (as you do). The same for FGM.

John

pizzapan