Author Topic: pizza sauce using tomato paste  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Chet

pizza sauce using tomato paste
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:19:52 AM »

Pizza sauce recipes here are mostly ground, crushed ect recipes,. I do hear about some recipes where they consist of tomato paste water and some seasonings, been wanting to try one of these recipes one of these days, I came across one recipe that called for Garlic bread seasonings in it, I am having no luck finding this seasoning locally. tried about 7-8 markets ect. anyone have an idea where I may find it or does anyone have a recipes worth trying that they have had good success with.

thanks
       Chet

buceriasdon

Re: pizza sauce using tomato paste
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 10:48:10 AM »
Chet, a Google search " homemade garlic bread seasoning" will yield a number of similar recipes.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:08:49 AM »
Chet,

Steve and I came up with a decent pizza sauce using Great Value Tomato Paste yesterday (with added water, Greek oregano, pepper and salt, but I donít know if the kind of cheese (only cheddar) we used helped the paste sauce or not on the final pizza. 

If you want what we used, I can post it.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chet

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 12:13:13 PM »
Chet,

Steve and I came up with a decent pizza sauce using Great Value Tomato Paste yesterday (with added water, Greek oregano, pepper and salt, but I donít know if the kind of cheese (only cheddar) we used helped the paste sauce or not on the final pizza. 

If you want what we used, I can post it.

Norma

Sure Norma post it and I will give it a shot, in the meantime I will look for the other recipe and post ot too.

Chet

Offline Chet

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »

HI Norma

this is the one I am going to try too. from where I got this recipe, it got excellent reviews

Chet

Pizza Sauce

1 6-oz. can tomato paste
6 oz. water (just use the empty tomato paste can)
3 Tbsp. garlic bread seasoning
1 Tbsp. sugar or honey (I usually use sugar because itís easier and hey, I think weíve established here that if thereís an easy road or a hard road, I usually take the easy roadÖ)
3/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)

Empty tomato paste into a bowl and add water a few tablespoons at a time, stirring constantly until combined. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and allow to stand until ready to use. Covers two average-sized pizza; freezes extremely well.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 04:48:25 PM »
Chet,

This is the doctored-up Great Value Sauce Steve (Ev) made yesterday if you are interested.

1 12 oz. can of Great Value tomato paste from Walmart
12 ounces of water
Ĺ tsp. regular ground black pepper
3 teaspoons dried Greek oregano from Bova
ľ teaspoon Kosher salt

This is also what it looked like on the pizza, in the below link, and the following posts. 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg214698.html#msg214698

Your recipe also sounds good.  :)

Norma

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »
When I'm in the mood to have a Shakey's pizza clone, my sauce recipe is as follows

100% tomato paste
85% mild salsa
5% salt
20% water

Simple, tangy and good!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 07:47:55 AM »
I forgot to mention that I do use Saporito tomato sauce http://www.pennmac.com/items/4020//saporito-italian-pizza-sauce at market, but do add other ingredients and water.  It is very thick and is a paste.  For home pizza makers it might be harder to find than for me though.

I used Great Value Tomato paste and Great Value Tomato sauce to try the kind of pizza sauce I used to make for market in a Monthly challenge at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9744.msg85554.html#msg85554

Norma

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 05:49:00 AM »
Does the tomato paste pizza have a watery flavor though? That sounds like a super cheap way to make sauce for sure which is awesome, I'd just be concerned that you'd lose that bright taste you get with a good sauce. Maybe something acidic would fix it? Vinegar or lemon juice? No idea, just shooting that out there.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 07:07:05 AM »
Does the tomato paste pizza have a watery flavor though? That sounds like a super cheap way to make sauce for sure which is awesome, I'd just be concerned that you'd lose that bright taste you get with a good sauce. Maybe something acidic would fix it? Vinegar or lemon juice? No idea, just shooting that out there.

thats why i put salsa in mine - to fix the ketchupy taste.  wateriness is up to you. 
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 08:12:49 AM »

Cory,

I havenít tried a lot of tomato pastes for pizza sauces, but found the Great Value paste is a good one to add extra ingredients.  We all have our different tastes though, so you, or someone else might not think the same.  You just have to add ingredients though and then taste.  The Gangi tomato paste that is used on the boardwalk thread tastes a lot like the Great Value paste when eaten right out of the can. It can taste very boring to me and acidic until other ingredients are added.  I sure donít think the tomato paste pizza has a watery taste, but that is just me.

Norma

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 11:55:59 PM »
Okay thanks a lot Norma. I'f ever I'm in a rush with an emergency dough kinda pizza I know that I'll at least have a quick sauce I can go to if I don't have canned tomatoes on hand or time to cook my sauce down. I always have been a fan of cooked pizza sauce and not uncooked tomato based sauces. :)
More is better..... and too much is just right.