Author Topic: confused on PJ recipes  (Read 838 times)

Offline Chet

confused on PJ recipes
« on: May 28, 2014, 08:51:58 PM »

just started reading some of the recipes for PJ's dough, there are so many, some revised ect, actually i don't even know where to start to find the latest revised or improved recipe, can someone give me the link that has been to be the latest clone recipe that has been a favorite.

thanks
     Chet

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: confused on PJ recipes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 09:12:54 PM »

Offline Chet

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 10:21:39 PM »
 Hi Peter

Yes i did look thru them, since the topic started in 2008, i figured it may have improved over the years, ok then i will try the recipe on reply #2

thanks
     Chet

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 08:20:22 AM »
Chet,

Although PJ has made some changes over the years to its dough formulation, as best I can tell from my research and the PJ nutrition information, it appears that the basic dough formulation has pretty much retained intact over that time. That dough formulation is the one that I tried to replicate in a home setting in Reply 2 that you mentioned (at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg58197#msg58197). However, I should forewarn you that that formulation can be a hard one to pull off in a typical home setting. The reason is that it is hard in a standard home refrigerator that people typically access many times a day, with multiple door openings and closures, to maintain the fairly constant temperatures that PJ is able to maintain in its dough making facilities (with clean rooms), and in its refrigerated trucks and in its coolers in its stores. That is how PJ is able to get three to eight days out of its dough balls (although five to eight days might be more likely). I have also observed that there are members who do not want to wait five to eight days to make a PJ clone. For that reason, I came up with a two day version that, based on member feedback, appears to be quite popular even though it is not quite as authentic as a PJ clone. That modified version is presented in Reply 20 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg59217#msg59217. I subsequently updated that version based on after-acquired information from PJ and other sources. The updated version is presented in Reply 585 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=6758.msg273667#msg273667. While I did not update the original dough formulation as given at Reply 2, one could do that based on the information provided in Reply 585. However, since the changes weren't particularly substantive, I do not think that one would be likely to detect the changes in the finished product, although some with sensitive palates might detect the increase in sugar.

Peter

Offline Chet

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 06:54:27 PM »
Peter

I noticed this is a 5 day recipe, what would i change for a 2 day recipe, i am making (3) 22oz dough balls and at .14% it is calling for 1/2tsp IDY should i change the % for a 2 day ferment

Chet

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:57:21 PM »
Chet,

I made all of the necessary changes for the two-day version in Reply 20 and Reply 585 in my last post.

Peter

Offline Chet

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
  thanks Peter.

made 3 dough balls and in the fridge for sat night.

Chet