Author Topic: New member's first pizza from scratch  (Read 78 times)

Offline Chrisc133

• I Love Pizza!
New member's first pizza from scratch
« on: Yesterday at 07:49:41 PM »
After a couple months of lurking and reading old posts--I finally decided to give it a go making my own pizza from scratch. I purchased a blackstone from lowes on sale a few months ago and have graduated from premade dough to making my own.  For this pizza and I followed the mellow mushroom clone recipe. I used ConAgra high protein flour from Costco for the crust. I made my own sauce using centro peeled italian whole tomatoes with a dash of sea salt. The cheese is BelGioioso fresh mozzarella, and the pepperoni is Private Selection brand old world pepperoni.

I was very happy with my results. I made two pizzas, and brought one to a friend who recently had a death in her family. I was a little nervous committing to bringing her dinner on my first try making my own dough, but it really turned out great.

I'm happy to have found this forum---a lot of great advice and knowledge here. I Can't wait to try some more of your recipes.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: New member's first pizza from scratch
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 08:15:00 PM »
Chrisc123,

Can you tell us which specific MM clone dough recipe you used and the type of molasses you used?

Peter

Offline Chrisc133

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:44:06 PM »
Chrisc123,

Can you tell us which specific MM clone dough recipe you used and the type of molasses you used?

Peter

Sure. I used your MM #10 clone recipe. I used Golding Farms molasses---just a bottle I already had here at the house.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 09:03:46 PM »
Chrisc123,

Thank you for the information. I was wondering what you were using given that you are in Georgia, where MM has its corporate headquarters. Have you had MM pizzas before and, if so, how did your version of the crust compare with the real thing?

According to the Nutrition Facts given at http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/golding-farms/molasses for the Golding Farms molasses, the Golding product has a very similar nutritional profile as the Steen's pure cane syrup. With 15 grams/T of Sugars for the Golding product, you will get decent sweetness. The color for the finished dough should be a bit lighter than a tan coffee filter.

Peter

Offline Chrisc133

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 10:44:20 PM »
Chrisc123,

Thank you for the information. I was wondering what you were using given that you are in Georgia, where MM has its corporate headquarters. Have you had MM pizzas before and, if so, how did your version of the crust compare with the real thing?

According to the Nutrition Facts given at http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/golding-farms/molasses for the Golding Farms molasses, the Golding product has a very similar nutritional profile as the Steen's pure cane syrup. With 15 grams/T of Sugars for the Golding product, you will get decent sweetness. The color for the finished dough should be a bit lighter than a tan coffee filter.

Peter

Yes we have two Mellow Mushroom restaurants here in Augusta. I love their pizza--but don't love the price.

The crust tasted very similar to MM. Two other people tried the pizza and thought it tasted like the MM crust as well. I plan to try a few other recipes on here next...but I'm sure I'll come back to this recipe again.