Author Topic: Smoked Provolone Cheese ONLY  (Read 2568 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Smoked Provolone Cheese ONLY
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:43 AM »
I was in a Pizzeria yesterday that has been in business for many years. I tried the pizza and really like it, except for the dough. (I am spoiled with my own dough)  

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17415.180.html

To my surprise, the cheese that they use is a Smoked Provolone. They do not mix it with anything else, just Smoked Provolone. It had a really nice flavor. I might try this sometime at home. The brand they use is called Della Vita Italian Cuisine, which is a Food Services of America Distributor's brand, so I will have to search for another brand that I can purchase.

This is the first time I have had pizza this way. Has anyone else tried pizza this way and what brand of Smoked Provolone can you recommend? Thanks.

TomN
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:00:57 PM by TomN »

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Smoked Provolone Cheese ONLY
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 02:20:53 PM »
Tom, sounds good to me. I have used smoked mozz and non smoked prov. I like the taste and melting characteristics of prov. I will be watching this thread for suggestions.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:37:17 PM »
IMO, the flavor of different provolone cheeses varies a lot. I have had some that are almost tasteless and some that, even though their label doesn't say that they are sharp, they are far from being mild. I love sharp provolone for just eating with crackers, but it's too much for pizza IMO.

The same goes for smoked provolone. Some are way more smokey than others. I have made pizza with 100% smoked provolone before that tasted okay but left an unpleasant aftertaste.

I often use a blend of 50% mozzarella, 25% provolone, and 25% smoked provolone. The smoked provolone that I usually buy is very smokey. I don't remember the brand but it is supposedly apple wood smoked.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:59:58 PM »
Smoked provolone is what Mr Gattis pizza chain uses.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:01:50 PM »
Tom, sounds good to me. I have used smoked mozz and non smoked prov. I like the taste and melting characteristics of prov. I will be watching this thread for suggestions.

Mark

Mark,

I have never heard of smoked mozzarella??? What  is the brand name of it.?? Thanks

TomN

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:35:15 PM »
Mark,

I have never heard of smoked mozzarella??? What  is the brand name of it.?? Thanks

TomN

I've had good smoked mozz under the Il Villaggio brand, but generally, I smoke my own.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 01:37:16 AM »
Mark,

TomN

Tom, I believe that I have purchased it at Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Can't remember the specific brand.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles