Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 106840 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #280 on: November 12, 2012, 07:08:44 PM »
Norma,

Another PMQTT member, aerotech, who is also a member of our forum and admires what we do, already referred the original poster to our forum, at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=84308#p84308. If their members choose to ignore that advice, that is their prerogative. Often I have sensed that the members at the PMQTT do not think that our forum offers them much of value, possibly because they view us as amateurs and not professionals.

No, I do not. However, the pizzeria has been in business since the 1950s, so who am I to tell them to do otherwise?

Peter

Peter,

I see now that areotech already referred the original poster to our forum.  I think members of PMQTT could learn on this forum too, but they are probably too busy running their pizza businesses. 

I agree, that Claysburg Pizza Shop must be doing something right to be in business for so many years.  I really donít think that many people really know about Detroit-style pizzas though.  I sure didnít and still donít know everything.

BTW, I just received a pdf. from JMFG Consumer Affairs a few minutes ago about the Margherita coarse pepperoni 38616 31329.  I canít get the pdf. to print out so I can scan it.  What do you want me to do?  I can see it, but for some reason it wonít let me print it.  I am not sure if the pdf. has all the information you want.  I can work on trying to get it to print some more. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #281 on: November 12, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »
BTW, I just received a pdf. from JMFG Consumer Affairs a few minutes ago about the Margherita coarse pepperoni 38616 31329.  I canít get the pdf. to print out so I can scan it.  What do you want me to do?  I can see it, but for some reason it wonít let me print it.  I am not sure if the pdf. has all the information you want.  I can work on trying to get it to print some more. 

Norma,

Is there any information on number of servings or serving size, and is there any weight information for a single serving? And, if there is a serving size, is a number of slices of pepperoni per serving given?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #282 on: November 12, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »
Norma,

Is there any information on number of servings or serving size, and is there any weight information for a single serving? And, if there is a serving size, is a number of slices of pepperoni per serving given?

Peter

Peter,

I finally got the pdf. to print.  If you can't read the information, or need more information, let me know.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #283 on: November 12, 2012, 09:22:29 PM »
Peter,

I did the scan again on the pdf. and this time just cut out the Nutrition Facts and enlarged them by resizing.  If that isnít what you are looking for, let me know.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #284 on: November 12, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
Norma,

Thank you very much for the Margherita Nutrition Facts. The information I want is shown in the Nutrition Facts and the related data. Specifically, a serving size is one ounce (28 grams) and there are 15-17 pepperoni slices per ounce. That number of slices per ounce is fairly typical of retail level pepperoni slices.

My impression from what I read over at the Buddy's thread was that the Margherita slices used at Buddy's we're thicker than normal--about the size of a quarter (Reply 126 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg81436/topicseen.html#msg81436). If that is correct, then it is possible that the slices used by Buddy's have a smaller diameter than normal but are thicker than normal. Pepperoni slice diameters and thicknesses are known pieces of information. Do you think you can get that information? While you are at it, maybe you can even request a sample of the Margherita pepperoni slices to test out with your Buddy's clone pizzas.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:40:03 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #285 on: November 12, 2012, 10:49:43 PM »

Norma,

My impression from what I read over at the Buddy's thread was that the Margherita slices used at Buddy's we're thicker than normal--about the size of a quarter (Reply 126 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3783.msg81436/topicseen.html#msg81436). If that is correct, then it is possible that the slices used by Buddy's have a smaller diameter than normal but are thicker than normal. Pepperoni slice diameters and thicknesses are known pieces of information. Do you think you can get that information? While you are at it, maybe you can even request a sample of the Margherita pepperoni slices to test out with your Buddy's clone pizzas.

Peter

Peter,

What specifically do you want me to ask?  Do you want me to ask if they sell smaller diameter slices that are thicker than what I asked about.  I might even request a sample of the Margherita coarse pepperoni slices to test out with my Buddyís clone pizzas. 

Thanks for the link on the Buddyís thread that explains more about the pepperoni.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #286 on: November 12, 2012, 11:24:56 PM »
What specifically do you want me to ask?

Norma,

I'd like to know the diameter and thickness of the Magherita coarse pepperoni slices for which they gave you the Nutrition Facts today. Those numbers will most likely be given in centimeters (cm). Sometimes that information is given for the cooked stage. I will take whatever they give you. What I want to see is if the Margherita coarse pepperoni slices are, in fact, smaller and thicker than normal.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #287 on: November 13, 2012, 06:35:05 AM »
Norma,

I'd like to know the diameter and thickness of the Magherita coarse pepperoni slices for which they gave you the Nutrition Facts today. Those numbers will most likely be given in centimeters (cm). Sometimes that information is given for the cooked stage. I will take whatever they give you. What I want to see is if the Margherita coarse pepperoni slices are, in fact, smaller and thicker than normal.

Peter

Peter,

Thanks for telling me what you want to know.  I will send a follow-up email today and if I donít get any answers will call them on Wednesday.  I wasnít sure if there was a smaller pepperoni size that you wanted to know about.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #288 on: November 13, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »
Norma,

I have been following this recent PMQ Think Tank thread on the Detroit-style pizza with interest: http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13656.

You will note that a recent poster, Pizza of the Month, indicates at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=84376#p84376 that more than 3% oil should be used for that style, at least his version, and that cold fermenting the dough should be avoided. I tracked down the poster's website where you can see an example of his square pizza at http://www.claysburgpizza.com/pizza-and-stromboli.html. Is Claysburg, PA anywhere near you?

I agree with Pizza of the Month that the recipes cited in the abovereferenced PMQTT thread are not Detroit style recipes.

Peter

Peter, I'm 100% positive I tasted oil in the VIA 313 dough which is why I added 3% when I made my first Detroit pie last weekend: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21992.0.html. I don't think I need to go higher. Of course you know I'm not a big fan of cold fermentation.

My crust was thicker, but I thought the bite and flavor were very close to what I remembered (and I used SD but a relatively short fermentation).

CL

I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #289 on: November 13, 2012, 06:01:16 PM »
Peter, I'm 100% positive I tasted oil in the VIA 313 dough which is why I added 3% when I made my first Detroit pie last weekend: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21992.0.html. I don't think I need to go higher. Of course you know I'm not a big fan of cold fermentation.

Craig,

Is it possible that you tasted the oil that was in the pan that was absorbed by the bottom crust as it baked? Buddy's does not use any oil in its dough, and the same applies to the Jet's dough that is used to make its square pizzas. However, in both cases, oil is used in the pan (soybean or canola in the case of Buddy's) and corn oil (in the case of Jet's). As you know, Norma liked the MFB shortening for greasing her pan at home.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #290 on: November 13, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
Craig,

Is it possible that you tasted the oil that was in the pan that was absorbed by the bottom crust as it baked? Buddy's does not use any oil in its dough, and the same applies to the Jet's dough that is used to make its square pizzas. However, in both cases, oil is used in the pan (soybean or canola in the case of Buddy's) and corn oil (in the case of Jet's). As you know, Norma liked the MFB shortening for greasing her pan at home.

Peter

Peter,

The reason why I am so sure is that Zane used butter flavored Crisco on the pan, and I could taste that. After I pulled the outer edge away, I could still taste oil, and it wasn't buttery. I didn't ask him, so I guess I can't be 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure.

I used butter flavored Crisco on the pan when I made mine. I really like it.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #291 on: November 14, 2012, 08:11:39 AM »
I was happy with the way the Buddyís clone experiments went yesterday.  They were nowhere near perfect, but I think I am making decent progress.  At least the 3 attempts tasted very good, the bottom crust are crisp now, and my deck oven works without having to resort to placing the baked pizzas on the deck to crisp them up more.

I used my top deck to bake all three Buddyís clones.  They all baked well at about 536 degrees F.  Two of the pans were greased with MFB and the one pan was greased with Canola oil.  The two pans greased with MFB did give the bottom crust a little more crisp, but Canola oil was no slouch either.  

After the first Buddyís clone was made, Steve suggested we try not to sauce the pie before it went into the oven and to sauce it afterwards like Via 313 does.  I told Steve that isnít the way Buddyís does it, but we could try that method since I already had attempted one Buddyís clone with applying the sauce on after the cheese, than baking that way.  The second Buddyís clone was made with saucing after the bake.  4 ounces of sauce seemed too much when applied that way.  In the third Buddyís clone attempt much less sauce was used and that seemed fine.  

I didnít use any brick cheese this week.  AMPI mild white cheddar and my blend of mozzarellas were used.  In the 3rd Buddyís attempt all AMPI mild white cheddar was used.  The tastes of the pizzas using these blend of cheeses or cheddar were really good.

I also wanted to see if it made any difference if the dough ball sat out for awhile and then panned the dough to be tempered, or if the dough can be opened cold and then tempered for a little.  I didnít used the Hatco Unit for any of the tempers.  The tempers were all done at room temperature.  The ambient room temperature was about 75 degrees F.  The second and third dough balls, were opened cold right out of the deli case and then left to temper for a little.  It  didnít seem to matter if the dough ball tempered at room temperature, or if the dough balls were opened cold.  All of the Buddyís attempts had good oven spring and all were moist and tender in the crumb.  

To explain the first Buddyís attempt the dough ball was taken out of the deli case at 1:58 PM.  It was left to temper at room temperature until 3:03 PM.  The dough ball was then lightly floured and opened.  It was easy to open and then it was placed in the steel pan.  The dough tempered in the steel pan until 4:35 PM.  It then was dressed and baked.  

The weight of first attempt right after is came out of the oven was 1.2888 lb.  This Buddyís attempt did have 8 ounces of the cheese blend and 4 ounces of sauce applied.  It can be seen on the dough ball the spacing of the poppy seeds when it was taken out of the deli case and after the room temperature temper.  It did double in size before I used the dough ball to make a pizza.  MFB was used to grease the pan for the first pizza.  It can be seen in the picture of the steel pan how much the pan was greased with MFB.  The first bake took 11 minutes 35 seconds.  

Norma
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 08:14:14 AM by norma427 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #292 on: November 14, 2012, 08:13:30 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #293 on: November 14, 2012, 08:15:05 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #294 on: November 14, 2012, 08:18:58 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #295 on: November 14, 2012, 08:20:24 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #296 on: November 14, 2012, 08:22:40 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #297 on: November 14, 2012, 08:24:56 AM »
To explain the second Buddyís attempt the dough ball was opened cold right out of the deli case at 3:16 PM and was tempered at room temperature until 5:26 before it was made into a pizza.  In this attempt the sauce (4 ounces) was applied after the bake.  AMPI mild white cheddar and my blend of mozzarellas were used.  MFB was used to grease the steel pan in this attempt too.  This attempt took 11 minutes 19 seconds to bake. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #298 on: November 14, 2012, 08:26:38 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #299 on: November 14, 2012, 08:30:26 AM »
Norma

pizzapan