Author Topic: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!  (Read 135269 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Two Billís pizza..dough and Carmelina Sauce..great!
« Reply #460 on: November 26, 2012, 06:29:37 AM »
Norma,

The pans that Klausie's is using seem to be the old blue steel pans. I sometimes read articles that say the pans are cast iron pans so I trust my own eyes rather than what a writer says in an article.

I also sometimes read about twice baking. Interestingly, Klausie's uses thrice baking. See the article at http://www.newraleigh.com/articles/archive/step-into-the-van-with-klausies-pizza/. Note, also, the continuing problem with getting good brick cheese.

You should also check out the article at http://anotherdayinparadisewithdaveandlisa.blogspot.com/2012/01/pie-like-no-other-klausies-pizza.html.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:50:09 AM by Pete-zza »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #461 on: November 26, 2012, 08:42:37 AM »
Yes, the cheese was the first object to come to mind. After reading Peter's link to Klausie's (Mike's) truck, I found it very interesting how he was/is able to go through multiple distributor's to get the Wisc. cheese he desires down here in NC. It made me wonder if I could see whether one of his dists. possibly might turn out to be one that you could be able to link with....we'll see, Norma, I'll keep you posted with what all I find out with Klausie's truck.  ;)

Bob

Bob,

I have a big list with links about what companies produce brick cheese here in the US saved in my documents, but havenít had time to go though them yet.  Almost of them are dairies in Wisconsin though.  I wonder what Mike meant by saying he had samples from dairies in the North.  Most of the dairies are small companies though in my list, so I donít know about them distributing their brick cheeses all over the country.  As I found out with Great Lakes brick cheese they do distribute to Schiffs in Scranton, Pa., but that is 2 hrs away from me.  I am waiting for an email reply from Widmer cheese.  I think they are a big producer of brick cheese.  Also how much brick cheese is aged changes the flavor profile of the brick cheese.  Maybe I will get a better handle on how Buddyís cheese tastes after I get my pizza from Buddyís. 

Buddyís pizzas looks very similar to what steel_bakerís Victory Pig Style Pizza do.  One of his Victory Pig clones are at Reply 35 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13048.msg160489.html#msg160489   steel_bakerís Victory Pig clone dough has oil and sugar in the formulation though, which I know Buddyís doesnít.  I find it interesting how steel_bakersí Victory Pig pizzas look so similar to what a Buddyís pizza does.  I made two attempts at a Victory Pig pizza on steel_bakerís thread.  Brick cheese isnít used on steel_bakerís Victory Pig clone Pizza though.

Another pizza that might use brick cheese is Old Forge Pizza.  big lover reported on the Old Forge, Pa. thread that brick cheese is used as the cheese at Reply 52 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1082.msg55100.html#msg55100  The Old Forge pizza made in a pan sure doesnít look like a Buddyís pizza though.

Victory Pig and Old Forge are near the Scranton area.

If you get to try Klausieís Detroit-style pizza please try to note the taste of the cheese.  Is it mild, does it taste like cheddar or something else. Thanks!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #462 on: November 26, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
Norma,

The pans that Klausie's is using seem to be the old blue steel pans. I sometimes read articles that say the pans are cast iron pans so I trust my own eyes rather than what a writer says in an article.

I also sometimes read about twice baking. Interestingly, Klausie's uses thrice baking. See the article at http://www.newraleigh.com/articles/archive/step-into-the-van-with-klausies-pizza/. Note, also, the continuing problem with getting good brick cheese.

You should also check out the article at http://anotherdayinparadisewithdaveandlisa.blogspot.com/2012/01/pie-like-no-other-klausies-pizza.html.

Peter

Peter,

I agree, I also trust my own eyes other than what is posted about those blue steel pans of Mikeís.

That article you reference and the triple bake, double proof is interesting.  Mike said the dough is allowed to proof once, then again in an oiled steel pan.  It sounds like Mike first par-bakes the crust by what he said.   ďMike cuts the cheese into cubes and tops the panbaked crust with themĒ  I guess there are more than one way to skin a cat in making Detroit-style pizzas as Mike has shown.

I see Mike also has problems with getting the brick cheese and he even says there is a slight sharpness depending on the age of the brick cheese.  My Eddieís brick cheese from Mandi cheese is not sharp at all.  I see he also has to use other cheeses at times.  I know my AMPI mild cheddar blend and two mozzarellas isnít too far off from what Eddieís brick cheese tastes like.  After I get my Buddyís pizza maybe I can determine if maybe a stronger cheddar is needed if I canít locate brick cheese in my area.  My blend at least oils off and browns decently on the edges of the crust.

I also noted in the Klausieís Detroit-style article from your first link that Mike says the sauce is added on top of the melted cheese at the very end.  That is a departure from a Buddyís pizza in my opinion.

In the second article you referenced it said that butter is used to brush the crusts.  I wonder why that is needed, unless it is needed to moisten up the par-baked crust.  Mikeís whole process sounds like a lot of work to me, even though his Detroit-style pizzas look really good.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #463 on: November 26, 2012, 10:13:57 AM »
The weathermen are reporting that old man winter is supposed to be rearing his head in our area tonight.  They really arenít calling for a lot of snow (1-2ď), but it might make roads slippery tomorrow morning.  There is a 60% chance that it will snow during the night and might keep up during the morning hours and might even change to some rain later.  If there is snow, usually not many people come to market.  I am going to market to make my regular NY style dough today and do other things I need to do, but am not sure if I am going to make some more clone Buddyís doughs to try tomorrow. 

This is how the one Buddyís clone dough ball is fermenting in my refrigerator a few minutes ago.  It doesnít look like it fermented much from yesterday when I took the pictures.

I am going to let the two Buddyís clone doughs at home, until I see what happens tomorrow morning.  I will bring a small steel pan home incase I donít go to market tomorrow. 

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #464 on: November 26, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »
Norma,

I was most interested in Mike's comments on the importance of the type of cheese for the Detroit style pizza. I have to believe that with all of the testing and experimenting he did with cheeses that his comments have some validity. So, with that in mind, I revisited what I believe we know about the types of cheeses used by the various purveyors of the Detroit style pizza.

Starting with Klausie's, I think it is fair to say that they use brick cheese to the extent it is available to them. Buddy's uses brick cheese. Shield's is reported to use brick cheese. Loui's uses two cheeses on its pizzas, but mozzarella cheese is not one of them. Other than that, we do not know what the two cheeses are although I am guessing that brick cheese may be one of them since Louis Tourtois worked for years at Buddy's and Shield's, and brick cheese is readily available to him (and now his son). The Detroit Pizza Style Co uses mozzarella cheese and brick cheese but it is not clear whether the two cheeses are blended. It could be that the brick cheese is placed around the sides of the pans, to become nicely caramelized during baking, and the mozzarella cheese is used for the rest of the pizza. However, I have read that the cheeses are shredded. Brown Dog Pizza in Telluride, CO uses whole milk mozzarella cheese (I believe it is Grande) and aged white cheddar cheese but, again, we don't know if the cheeses are blended or added separately. Jet's uses Grande low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese although it should be noted that Jet's does not call their square pizza "Detroit style". That may be intentional since they are expanding nationwide and do not wish to be viewed as strictly a Detroit style pizza operator. We do not know what cheese or cheese blend Via 313 uses.

With the above as background, I think it is safe to say that brick cheese is a good choice if one wants to get good caramelization of the cheese. Looking at pizzas made using only mozzarella cheese, such as the Jet's pizza shown at Reply 70 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.msg135948.html#msg135948, I see that the sides are browned but I don't see that vertical dam of caramelized cheese that seems to characterize the basic Detroit style pizzas made by Buddy's, Shield's, Loui's, and Cloverleaf/Detroit Pizza Style Co, at least as exemplified by the photos shown at http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35487. Likewise for the Klausie's Detroit style pizza. Several of the Brown Dog Detroit style pizzas I have seen also exhibit that vertical dam of caramelized cheese, so maybe the white cheddar cheese contributes to that effect. Looking at the Via 313 photos at http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/via-313-pizza-austin?select=quBst2A8N8Sx8gMCl7E7Jg#571KK5bmUn7n9fZZAva86g, some but not all of their pizzas exhibit that effect to one degree or another. I am guessing that one of their cheeses may be brick cheese or maybe a white cheddar cheese. Or maybe I am simply reading too much into all of this and that any cheese if forced along the sides of the pan will caramelize in a dam-like way.

Mike cuts the cheese into cubes and tops the panbaked crust with them

I believe the author of the article meant to say "diced". It would seem impractical to cut the brick cheese into cubes, presumably by hand. As noted in the photo at http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08Mf788bNv6xv/340x.jpg, Buddy's, which was the inspiration of Mike at Klausie's, looks to use a diced cheese.

In the second article you referenced it said that butter is used to brush the crusts.  I wonder why that is needed, unless it is needed to moisten up the par-baked crust.

I first saw reference to the use of butter and also a twice bake in a comment by a poster at http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/25/1587230/restaurant/Inside-the-Beltline/Klausies-Pizza-food-truck-Raleigh. I thought that perhaps the commenter was just paraphrasing what wikipedia says about the Detroit style pizza at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza, to wit, The crust of a Detroit-style pizza is noteworthy because in addition to occasionally being twice-baked, it is usually baked in a well-oiled pan to a chewy medium-well-done state that gives the bottom and edges of the crust a fried/crunchy texture. Some parlors will apply melted butter with a soft brush prior to baking. In Klausie's case, it looks like both statements apply but with the butter added after baking rather than before. Like you, I suspect the butter helps soften the crust somewhat but also to give more flavor to the crust (the often sought after "buttery" crust).

Peter
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 05:59:01 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #465 on: November 26, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »
Peter, Norma,

From what little I know about brick, it appears the characteristics can vary quite widely - much more so than most cheeses. I understand that some is washed rind/ripened, and some isn't - this in and of itself suggests there are very different brick cheeses out there; and some is sold very young and some is aged. It sounds like brick cheese can be similar to cheeses ranging from mozerella to Limburger.

I'm not sure how much value there is in knowing that someone uses brick cheese if you don't know what brick cheese.

Just a thought.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #466 on: November 26, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »
Norma,

I was most interested in Mike's comments on the importance of the type of cheese for the Detroit style pizza. I have to believe that with all of the testing and experimenting he did with cheeses that his comments have some validity. So, with that in mind, I revisited what I believe we know about the types of cheeses used by the various purveyors of the Detroit style pizza.

Starting with Klausie's, I think it is fair to say that they use brick cheese to the extent it is available to them. Buddy's uses brick cheese. Shield's is reported to use brick cheese. Loui's uses two cheeses on its pizzas, but mozzarella cheese is not one of them. Other than that, we do not know what the two cheeses are although I am guessing that brick cheese may be one of them since Louis Tourtois worked for years at Buddy's and Shield's, and brick cheese is readily available to him (and now his son). The Detroit Pizza Style Co uses mozzarella cheese and brick cheese but it is not clear whether the two cheeses are blended. It could be that the brick cheese is placed around the sides of the pans, to become nicely caramelized during baking, and the mozzarella cheese is used for the rest of the pizza. Brown Dog Pizza in Telluride, CO uses whole milk mozzarella cheese (I believe it is Grande) and aged white cheddar cheese but, again, we don't know if the cheeses are blended or added separately. Jet's uses Grande low-moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese although it should be noted that Jet's does not call their square pizza "Detroit style". That may be intentional since they are expanding nationwide and do not wish to be viewed as strictly a Detroit style pizza operator. We do not know what cheese or cheese blend Via 313 uses.

With the above as background, I think it is safe to say that brick cheese is a good choice if one wants to get good caramelization of the cheese. Looking at pizzas made using only mozzarella cheese, such as the Jet's pizza shown at Reply 70 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8247.msg135948.html#msg135948, I see that the sides are browned but I don't see that vertical dam of caramelized cheese that seems to characterize the basic Detroit style pizzas made by Buddy's, Shield's, Loui's, and Cloverleaf/Detroit Pizza Style Co, at least as exemplified by the photos shown at http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=35487. Likewise for the Klausie's Detroit style pizza. Several of the Blue Dog Detroit style pizzas I have seen also exhibit that vertical dam of caramelized cheese, so maybe the white cheddar cheese contributes to that effect. Looking at the Via 313 photos at http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/via-313-pizza-austin?select=quBst2A8N8Sx8gMCl7E7Jg#571KK5bmUn7n9fZZAva86g, some but not all of their pizzas exhibit that effect to one degree or another. I am guessing that one of their cheeses may be brick cheese or maybe a white cheddar cheese. Or maybe I am simply reading too much into all of this and that any cheese if forced along the sides of the pan will caramelize in a dam-like way.
I believe the author of the article meant to say "diced". It would seem impractical to cut the brick cheese into cubes, presumably by hand. As noted in the photo at http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08Mf788bNv6xv/340x.jpg, Buddy's, which was the inspiration of Mike at Klausie's, looks to use a diced cheese.
I first saw reference to the use of butter and also a twice bake in a comment by a poster at http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/25/1587230/restaurant/Inside-the-Beltline/Klausies-Pizza-food-truck-Raleigh. I thought that perhaps the commenter was just paraphrasing what wikipedia says about the Detroit style pizza at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit-style_pizza, to wit, The crust of a Detroit-style pizza is noteworthy because in addition to occasionally being twice-baked, it is usually baked in a well-oiled pan to a chewy medium-well-done state that gives the bottom and edges of the crust a fried/crunchy texture. Some parlors will apply melted butter with a soft brush prior to baking. In Klausie's case, it looks like both statements apply but with the butter added after baking rather than before. Like you, I suspect the butter helps soften the crust somewhat but also to give more flavor to the crust (the often sought after "buttery" crust).

Peter

Peter,

I like your summary of what Detroit-style pizzerias that use brick cheese, or a combination of brick and another cheese.  I am interested in Mikeís comments too on the importance of the type of cheese Detroit style pizza use.  To get that dammed up caramelization of cheeses really isnít that hard in my opinion if you look though the Greek-style pizza thread.  I never tried to make a Greek-style pizza in a 8Ēx10Ē pan, but might have to try that sometime to see if the caramelization of the cheese still happens.  I know Steve and I have used many blends of cheeses on the Greek-style thread and it didnít appear to me that there were problems with caramelization of the cheeses.  It just seems to me that you need cheddar on the edges to get that caramelization.  At Steveís post on the Greek-style thread you can see Steve did get good caramelization of the medium white cheddar on his pizza at Reply 125  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg124557.html#msg124557  I recall that pizza and it was very tasty.  I even tried a Greek style pie that was not even made in my black buster steel pan at home and also got good caramelization.  I canít recall what cheese/or cheese blend I used on that pizza at Reply 143 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg125069.html#msg125069 but many combinations seem to work.  Now as for the brick taste I am not sure of that.  I have to wait until I taste the Buddyís pizza.

I agree that the author meant to say diced, like Buddyís pizza in the article about Mikeís Detroit-style pizzas.

As for butter on the par-bake crust after it is baked, I always put a garlic herb, oil, margarine blend on my Greek-style pizza and all that seems to do is the crust a better flavor.  I havenít tried that by par-baking the crust first though.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #467 on: November 26, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »
Peter, Norma,

From what little I know about brick, it appears the characteristics can vary quite widely - much more so than most cheeses. I understand that some is washed rind/ripened, and some isn't - this in and of itself suggests there are very different brick cheeses out there; and some is sold very young and some is aged. It sounds like brick cheese can be similar to cheeses ranging from mozerella to Limburger.

I'm not sure how much value there is in knowing that someone uses brick cheese if you don't know what brick cheese.

Just a thought.

Craig

Craig,

I also agree with you that brick cheese can take on many flavors and can be mild and some strong tasting.  Brick can be very similar to cheddar in my opinion.  I have tried so many cheddars on the boardwalk thread and know that some can be very mild and some can be potent in flavor.  That is one reason I had so many problems with the cheese in that thread.

Can you tell me what Via 313ís cheese tastes like to you?  Was it mild, or did it taste stronger?

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #468 on: November 26, 2012, 12:26:48 PM »
This is the email I received from Buddyís 22 minutes ago.  It gave me the tracking number.

Your shipment total is $47.41.  If there is any problems call us.

Thanks you Dennis

I did send an email right back asking if they remembered to include the extra sauce.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #469 on: November 26, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »
Craig,

I also agree with you that brick cheese can take on many flavors and can be mild and some strong tasting.  Brick can be very similar to cheddar in my opinion.  I have tried so many cheddars on the boardwalk thread and know that some can be very mild and some can be potent in flavor.  That is one reason I had so many problems with the cheese in that thread.

Can you tell me what Via 313ís cheese tastes like to you?  Was it mild, or did it taste stronger?

Norma.

My guess is that it is cheddar on the edge and mozzerella in the middle. Maybe some cheddar in the mozzerella. It was not too strong.

CL

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #470 on: November 26, 2012, 12:57:28 PM »
Out of curiosity, I called one of the Central Markets in Austin and also the one in Houston and spoke with the cheese specialists in those stores to see if they carry brick cheeses and, if so, who the producers are. I was told by the cheese specialist at CM Austin that they carry the Wilmont Farms brick cheese; the cheese specialist for the Houston CM said that they carry both the Wilmont Farms brick cheese and the Widmer brick cheese. According to http://www.delisource.net/wilmot.html, Wilmont Farms is apparently a brand name for cheese products from many different cheese producers in Wisconsin. Widmer is one of the top names in brick cheeses, at least in terms of authenticity, or so I concluded when I researched brick cheeses some time ago. Their website, where their brick cheese products can be examined, is at http://www.widmerscheese.com/. I know that Norma is familiar with the Widmer name and, I believe, she is awaiting a response to an email she sent to them to see if their brick cheese is available from someone near her.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:59:20 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #471 on: November 26, 2012, 12:57:34 PM »
fwiw, when doing a "Bert's" pie in a deep aluminum black hard anodized pan...I've used mozz,provo,gouda, and munster(not all together,but sometimes a mixture), I'll oil the bottom of the pan but never the sides and I can burn any of those cheese's BLACK(on the edge/side of pan) if I wanted to.

ps, going to Klausie's truck latter today. I'll take some pics and ask some questions...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 01:01:28 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #472 on: November 26, 2012, 01:27:15 PM »
Out of curiosity, I called one of the Central Markets in Austin and also the one in Houston and spoke with the cheese specialists in those stores to see if they carry brick cheeses and, if so, who the producers are. I was told by the cheese specialist at CM Austin that they carry the Wilmont Farms brick cheese; the cheese specialist for the Houston CM said that they carry both the Wilmont Farms brick cheese and the Widmer brick cheese. According to http://www.delisource.net/wilmot.html, Wilmont Farms is apparently a brand name for cheese products from many different cheese producers in Wisconsin. Widmer is one of the top names in brick cheeses, at least in terms of authenticity, or so I concluded when I researched brick cheeses some time ago. Their website, where their brick cheese products can be examined, is at http://www.widmerscheese.com/. I know that Norma is familiar with the Widmer name and, I believe, she is awaiting a response to an email she sent to them to see if their brick cheese is available from someone near her.

Peter

I only remember seeing one brick cheese at CM in Houston. It's possible I missed the other. I'm guessing the one I got was Wilmot. It was very mild. According to the website, Widmers (they have both mild and aged) is a washed rind. The one I had was clearly young, and it didn't have a ripened flavor.

CL

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #473 on: November 26, 2012, 05:42:16 PM »
My guess is that it is cheddar on the edge and mozzerella in the middle. Maybe some cheddar in the mozzerella. It was not too strong.

CL

Thanks Craig for telling me what the cheeses tasted like to you.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #474 on: November 26, 2012, 05:45:01 PM »
I hadnít received any email about Widmerís brick cheese today from using the Contact Us feature on their website, so when I got home from market I called Widners cheese.  I asked the lady that answered the phone if any retail stores in Pa. carry the Widmerís brick cheese.  I told her I owned a small pizza business and want to try the Widmerís brick cheese on the Detroit-style pizza I was working on.  The lady looked and said she doesnít think there are any retail stores in Pa. that carry any of the Widmerís brick cheese.  I asked the lady what are the kinds of brick cheeses they produce and she said they produce what is called Specialty Brick cheese which is mild.  The also carry what is called the traditional Widmerís brick cheese which is aged and has more of a tang.  The lady told me if I wanted to use the brick cheese on a pizza she would think I would use the Specialty brick cheese. 

I looked on the Widmerís website while I was talking to the lady and I guess this is what is called the Specialty Brick cheese in 5 lb. http://www.widmerscheese.com/products/Vac-Pack-Whole-Mild-Specialty-Brick-5-lb.html  Widmerís also carries the same brick cheese in 1 lb. http://www.widmerscheese.com/products/Vac-Pack-Mild-Specialty-Brick-1-lb.html and 2.5 lb. http://www.widmerscheese.com/products/Vac-Pack-Half-Mild-Specialty-Brick-2.5-lb.html

I asked the lady if there are any places that sell the Widmerís brick cheese wholesale in Pa. and she said she didnít really know, but would transfer me to Mr. Widmerís voicemail.  I left a message on Mr. Widmerís voicemail.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #475 on: November 26, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
I just wanted to post that I got another email from Buddyís at 12:42 PM that said this.

The extra sauce is included.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #476 on: November 26, 2012, 08:21:13 PM »

Peter

Peter,

Do your Central Markets in Texas have cheese specialists in all of them?  They sure must be big supermarkets because I never heard of cheese specialists in any supermarkets in our area.  Did you ask the cheese specialists how the brick cheeses tasted? 

I wonder how I would find out who produces the Wilmont brick cheese in Wisconsin?   I think I am going to be like other smaller pizza businesses in the end and wonít be able to find wholesale brick cheese for my Detroit-style pizzas, or at they will be very hard to source, or even too expensive in the end.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #477 on: November 26, 2012, 08:25:06 PM »
fwiw, when doing a "Bert's" pie in a deep aluminum black hard anodized pan...I've used mozz,provo,gouda, and munster(not all together,but sometimes a mixture), I'll oil the bottom of the pan but never the sides and I can burn any of those cheese's BLACK(on the edge/side of pan) if I wanted to.

ps, going to Klausie's truck latter today. I'll take some pics and ask some questions...

Bob,

Good to hear you could get any of the cheeses you mentioned to get black on the edges of you black hard anodized pan if you wanted to.

Good luck in your adventure to take pictures and ask some questions at Klausieís truck.  Let us know how their Detroit-style pizza tastes to you.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #478 on: November 26, 2012, 08:42:38 PM »
Do your Central Markets in Texas have cheese specialists in all of them?  They sure must be big supermarkets because I never heard of cheese specialists in any supermarkets in our area.  Did you ask the cheese specialists how the brick cheeses tasted? 

I wonder how I would find out who produces the Wilmont brick cheese in Wisconsin?   I think I am going to be like other smaller pizza businesses in the end and wonít be able to find wholesale brick cheese for my Detroit-style pizzas, or at they will be very hard to source, or even too expensive in the end.

Norma,

The Central Markets are high end stores with prices to match. They also happen to have very large cheese departments.  When I called them today, I asked to be connected to the person in charge of the cheese department. That is who I talked with in both stores. Since those employees are responsible for the cheese sections, they are quite knowledgeable about cheeses in general and their inventory. If they don't know the answers offhand, they generally can get them quite quickly.

I'm not sure how you can find a supplier or distributor of the Wilmont brick cheese. You might send an email or call them to see if they even deal with individuals. Maybe they only deal with retailers.

Peter

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #479 on: November 26, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
Norma,

The Central Markets are high end stores with prices to match. They also happen to have very large cheese departments.  When I called them today, I asked to be connected to the person in charge of the cheese department. That is who I talked with in both stores. Since those employees are responsible for the cheese sections, they are quite knowledgeable about cheeses in general and their inventory. If they don't know the answers offhand, they generally can get them quite quickly.

I'm not sure how you can find a supplier or distributor of the Wilmont brick cheese. You might send an email or call them to see if they even deal with individuals. Maybe they only deal with retailers.

Peter

Peter,

Thank you for telling me about the Central Markets in Texas and about the many cheeses they carry.

I might call http://www.delisource.net/wilmot.html to find out if they might carry the Wilmont brand of brick cheese somewhere in my area.

Norma

pizzapan