Author Topic: Red November Pizza Sauce (#2)  (Read 1600 times)

Offline ciaojam

Red November Pizza Sauce (#2)
« on: October 17, 2012, 04:55:08 PM »
I am deeply intrigued and earnestly ambitious to try out this recipe in bulk for our family run pizzeria. However I need help understanding if the grams are weight measurements or dry measurements so I can do the math and get the MAE herbs in the right proportion to the amount of tomatoes we use. I would be most appreciative for some assistance in this regard. Thanks in advance.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Red November Pizza Sauce (#2)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 06:12:21 PM »
I am deeply intrigued and earnestly ambitious to try out this recipe in bulk for our family run pizzeria. However I need help understanding if the grams are weight measurements or dry measurements so I can do the math and get the MAE herbs in the right proportion to the amount of tomatoes we use. I would be most appreciative for some assistance in this regard. Thanks in advance.

ciaojam,

This is Novemberís Pizza Sauce (#2) by weight at Reply 7 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3735.msg32136.html#msg32136

Peter explains how it would be harder to measure smaller amounts at Reply 3 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17013.msg165590.html#msg165590

This is what Steve used for a large can of 6-in-1s at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17013.msg165501.html#msg165501

If you need more assistance maybe I, or another member, can help you.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ciaojam

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Thanks Norma. I'll have to read through those threads. I guess my confusion comes from the first several ingredients being in grams (weight) and then it switches to tsp or v.u. I have found conversion charts online which would make 3.5 grams by weight of garlic powder about .123 oz or 1/8 ounce, multiplied by my can size using a multiple of (102/28) 3.64, it is about .45 of an ounce in weight or almost half an ounce. Is the short answer use weight for first 5 ingredients listed in grams, then switch to vu of 1/8 teaspoon?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 07:01:50 PM »
ciaojam,

Yes, the way I understand Novemberís Pizza Sauce (#2) is that the larger amounts of sugar, salt, garlic powder and onion powder are weighed by grams, then the other ingredients are measure by vu, or 1vu=1/8 tsp.

November uses the (MAE) microwave assisted extraction for the herbs and spices, which worked really well for me.

Novemberís note:

Notes:
"vu" stands for volume unit since the measurements are expressed in ratios. If measured accurately and the herbs are crushed sufficiently, the total mass should be 3.5g when 1 vu = 1/8 tsp. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan