Author Topic: Pizza Dough Recipe  (Read 5256 times)

Offline Letterpress Man

Re: Pizza Dough Recipe
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 10:49:24 AM »
Will do. I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I once again put on my pizza chef's hat.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
LM;
Snap-back, or excessive dough memory is what you are experiencing. It can result from insufficient water, yeast, or dough temperature, just to name a few things. Your yeast level looks good, but ADY must be hydrated in warm (100 to 105F) water (just a small portion of the total water is all that's needed to do this), then add the yeast to the cold water in the mixing bowl, no need to stir. Add the flour, salt and sugar to the flour, and begin mixing just until the flour is hydrated (wet), then add the oil. This will provide optimum yeast performance. Check your finished dough temperature, it should be in the 85 to 90F range for most home made pizzas, unless you plan to hold the dough more than 2-days in the fridge, in that case go for a finished dough temperature closer to 80F. After at least 24-hours in the fridge, bring the dough out, keeping it covered, and allow it to temper AT room temperature for about 3-hours, then turn the dough out of its container into a bowl of dusting flour and you're ready to begin opening the dough up into a pizza skin.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Letterpress Man

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
Just a quick aside; Does the brand of yeast used make any noticeable difference in the taste of the final dough? I've been using both Fleishmann's ADY and most recently Red Star ADY because I was able to get 2 pounds of it for $8.99. The dough I made with the Red Star tasted slightly different, but with all the slight modifications I have been making with other ingredients, I don't know if it was because of the yeast or something else. Naturally I'm going to try the Fleishmann's to see if it was the yeast, but I just thought I'd ask to see what other more experienced folks have discovered.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »
LM;
No difference in flavor is attributed to the brand of yeast. This is by design of the yeast manufacturers allowing bakeries to have multiple suppliers.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

pizzapan