Author Topic: Santos Mixer.......  (Read 1938 times)

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
Santos Mixer.......
« on: October 18, 2012, 01:03:08 PM »
Is it worth its cost when mainly making Neapoletan Pizza dough?

I have a DLX now, which I don't mind, but I am trying to get the best possible instruments to increase the quality of my dough to its greatest potential.

Thanks for any advice......
Paolo

buceriasdon

Re: Santos Mixer.......
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 01:15:21 PM »
Do a search here for santos. There are quite a number of threads about the mixer.
Don

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
From the searches I didn't really notice anyone overly enthusiastic about it.......

Furthermore, I know there was a concern about the fork rotational speed on how to slow it down, but no definite answers.....

I guess I am looking to determine if anyone who owns the Santos would highly reccommend it.......and if so, did they reduce the fork speed......
Paolo

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 02:30:21 PM »
From the searches I didn't really notice anyone overly enthusiastic about it.......

Furthermore, I know there was a concern about the fork rotational speed on how to slow it down, but no definite answers.....

I guess I am looking to determine if anyone who owns the Santos would highly reccommend it.......and if so, did they reduce the fork speed......

Paolo,

I've owned one for several years for non-commercial use and have not used it much this year for my Neapolitan-style dough. It isn't that I don't like the dough it makes. It is just that I have become fascinated with higher-hydration hand-kneaded, stretch-and-fold dough. I'm probably close to pushing that method as far as it will go and will likely return to using the Santos to see how it compares.

I have never had any issues with the speed, but this is likely due to the fact that at 7000 feet above sea level, less oxygen is available to mix into the dough.

I've thought about selling it, but still use it from time to time for larger batches of stiff bread dough. I will use it to make dough for a giant pan de muerto for the upcoming Day of the Dead.

For pizza dough in the home setting, it is not something that I would "highly recommend", but I really need to make up a few batches as my techniques and tastes have changed since I last used it.

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 02:33:18 PM »
Paolo,

I've owned one for several years for non-commercial use and have not used it much this year for my Neapolitan-style dough. It isn't that I don't like the dough it makes. It is just that I have become fascinated with higher-hydration hand-kneaded, stretch-and-fold dough. I'm probably close to pushing that method as far as it will go and will likely return to using the Santos to see how it compares.

I have never had any issues with the speed, but this is likely due to the fact that at 7000 feet above sea level, less oxygen is available to mix into the dough.

I've thought about selling it, but still use it from time to time for larger batches of stiff bread dough. I will use it to make dough for a giant pan de muerto for the upcoming Day of the Dead.

For pizza dough in the home setting, it is not something that I would "highly recommend", but I really need to make up a few batches as my techniques and tastes have changed since I last used it.

Thank you Bill for your honest opinion......
Paolo

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 06:38:25 PM »
For a while I had a dlx,a bosch, and a santos all at the same time to do comparison dough testing.  I did quite a bit of testing.   The pizzas I made using my bosch (at 62ish or below hydrations) and with my electrolux DLX (62ish and higher hydrations) turned out better than they did in the Santos.  Now I always combine the ingredients in the bosch for only 20 seconds or sometimes less, then do stretch and folds by hand or finish in a sp5 spiral mixer.   You would think starting in the sp5 would be best since its a very fancy italian mixer, but I have found had my best doughs using the bosch/hands or bosch/sp5.   I think just fully mixing by hand is going to give you simiar results.     Good luck... and I say save your money!              

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:28:20 AM by scott r »

Offline Mangia Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 06:42:52 PM »
For a while I had it and a dlx and a bosch and a santos all at the same time to do comparison dough testing.  I did quite a bit of testing.   The pizzas I made using my bosch (at 62ish or below hydrations) and with my electrolux DLX (62ish and higher hydrations) turned out better than they did in the Santos.  Now I always start the mix just to combine the ingredients in the bosch for only 20 seconds or sometimes less, then do stretch and folds by hand or finish in a sp5 spiral mixer.   You would think starting in the sp5 would be best since its a very fancy italian mixer, but I have found had my best doughs using the bosch/hands or bosch/sp5     Good luck... and I say save your money!             

Thanks Scott......

BTW, I am still waiting for the pizza pics from your NY excursion...... :)
Paolo

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »
oops, I just caught a few pictures, not many.    Im working up a post for you, more words than pictures, but hopefully it will help.   

pizzapan