Author Topic: Hi, here are some pizzas from a Reinhart recipe  (Read 3798 times)

Offline Number6

Hi, here are some pizzas from a Reinhart recipe
« on: November 27, 2005, 08:46:33 AM »
Hi,  I'm Dean from Melbourne Australia and love reading this forum.  So many creative and generously helpful people.  I have made ordinary but decent enough pizzas for a few years but have more recently been working to improve my pizzas further.  I have used some dough recipes from Berenbaum's Bread Bible, Carol Field's Italian Baker and last night Peter Reinhart's American Pie which just arrived from Amazon.  Each are different in their own way but last night's is my favourite so far.

I used the dough recipe he calls Neo-Neapolitan (p. 112 in his book) which he describes as New Haven style.  Hopefully that is close enough to NY style to post here.  I usually parcook on a tray (shown in the photos) placed on a baking stone in my domestic gas oven for a few minutes then take the base out, put on the toppings and cook further directly on the baking stone until it looks done.  I have found that I prefer this to putting the toppings directly on an uncooked base, it makes it all a bit crisper.  Also, it's just easier.  When the base is parcooked it's dead easy to slide it from the tray (brushed with a little oil and dusted with coarse semolina at the start) onto the baking stone.  It then browns nicely as you can see from the pic.

I was really pleased with the way it turned out particularly as I had recently mainly enjoyed pizzas made with Italian 00 flour (Molini Pizzuti, readily available here in Australia) while the pizzas pictured were supermarket bread flour, Tip Top High Grade Flour, 11% protein.

The toppings shown are my favourite, Potato and Rosemary (with a little mozzarella and salt) and Three Cheese and Mushroom (mozz, parmesan and gorgonzola).  I also made a Margarita which I really liked the look of but there's no pic as I needed new batteries in the camera when it came out!

As an experiment I froze one of the parcooked bases and used it tonight after a quick thaw on the bench.  It worked really well (it's the mushroom pizza) so I intend to make a few in bulk next weekend and put them in the freezer for a quick pizza.  Reinhart has a particular recipe he suggests for freezing so I might try that too.

Do you have a favourite recipe from Reinhart's book?  I want to try the others.

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
Re: Hi, here are some pizzas from a Reinhart recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 09:27:57 AM »
Looks awesome and the par-baking tip is a great sugesstion that I'll try.  Can you post the recipe here?

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 05:28:14 PM »
Welcome to the forum Dean, Brisbane here Oi, Oi, Oi  - great looking pizza's.  Where did you purchase those tray's from? they look great.  I just got an Avanti Pizza stone from a friend and I am yet to try it.  I never thought of having sliced potato on pizza - any tricks to it?

Recently, I came across a cheese called Bocconcini at Woolworths/Coles and found it is quite useful on pizza's.  Its a bit X-ie and after a google I found out that it is fresh Mozzarella (cow variety) - do not buy the packaged stuff, only the deli ones.  Slice it about 3mm or an 1/8', it deserves a try once to see if you like it.  Have fun here, there is a lot of good advice to consider.

Regards,

Wazza McG
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline Number6

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 12:38:26 AM »
To answer some of the above questions:

The recipe I used is referenced here http://www.food-lists.com/lists/archives/clipping-cooking/2004/03/1080604688.php This page seems to be from marketing material for the book so I presume I am not infringing Chef Reinhart's copyright.  His book "American Pie" is a great read and "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" is excellent.  They are written with such knowledge and and thoroughness and are well worth having.  Strongly recommended.

In metric (converting from US measures, not the same as Aust. or UK) the quantities are:

640 g bread flour (that
15 g (3 Aus. teaspoons) sugar or honey
2 tsp salt
1 tsp dry yeast
30 ml oil
430 g water

Another thread that discusses this recipe, and provided me with that link is http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1924.0.html

I purchased the trays from Safeway/Woolworths quite a few years ago.  I need to get another one (my brother "borrowed" one) but I don't know if they still stock them.  I'm not sure the holes and channels in the tray make a huge difference but hey, they can't hurt.

Potato on a pizza is common enough in Italy, or at least in Rome but you don't see it in Australia much.  You need to cook it a little first, say about 5 mins in water in a microwave or on the stove, otherwise it doesn't cook enough in the oven before the dough is done.     Pat the slices dry before topping the pizza.  You could slice it very thinly and put it on raw, a top pizzeria in Melbourne does this but I don't have their oven heat and I prefer it a bit thicker.  The process is a bit fiddly but it tastes very good.  I scatter a bit of grated mozzarella below, among and above the potato slices just to help them bind to the dough and each other.  Caramelised onion goes really well with potato too, this adds to the labour required though.  A bit of garlic in oil works well too.  Fresh rosemary is a must along with salt.

The frozen base was certainly a little drier after the second cook but I actually liked it that way.

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 01:22:51 AM »
In making the any NY(or variant) pizza recipes here in Australia, you'll have to pay particular attention to protein levels of flour. It's a fact I cannot overstate as it's all too easy to shrug off a few percent of protein as being a critical factor in the end result. As someone who spent several years trying to perfect NY pizzas with all-purpose through to supermarket bread flours to nowadays commercial Hi-Protein Flour, I can tell you there are vast differences in the results achieved. This is especially effects the resulting taste and crust consistancy of the pizza. For years I used to think, damn what is it, why does this pizza still taste too homemade or floury(not authentic). That was despite having recipes that were very close to the main NY one on I use today. Using Tip Top bread flour is really way off the mark for the Reinhart recipe(or any NY style) at 11%, especially when you consider the people in the US who 'get away with it' by dropping back to using the weaker King Arthur bread flour which really by comparison is still right up there at 13.4% protein. The hydration factors in using the Tip Top or say Molini Pizzuti 00 are significantly different to using a flour with 13.4% let alone a 14+% one. The next closest result to using a commercial high protein flour here in Aust., say something like Ben Furney Maxi-Pro that I use can be achieved by using Molini-Pizzuti Bread Flour(12.4%) and boosting it with the addition of gluten flour. You get what I'd describe as an o.k. result, still quite a long way of the taste and crust consistency of a true high protein flour.

The other suggestion I have after recently trying a more general 'American' style recipe which featured honey, is you might want to try a simpler no sugar recipe like the Lehmann NY(only with a strong or well boosted flour though) and 48hr fridge rise. I found the 'American' that I made which uses similar amounts to the Reinhart was (after a 24hr rise at least), still too sweet tasting in the crust flavour. If I ever go back to experiment with that recipe, it's staying in the fridge for a full 48hrs, but I'm still somewhat sceptical that it will be that different.

Here's a recent example of a pizza made with maxi-pro flour that I cooked in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg18981.html#msg18981

« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 01:46:20 AM by OzPizza »
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

Offline Number6

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 03:29:42 AM »
Thanks for those words of experience Ozpizza.  I've got some Molini-Pizzuti bread flour, so I'll use that and try to get hold of some gluten flour to boost it with.  The pizza you cooked looks fantastic.

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 07:07:57 PM »
Thanks for those words of experience Ozpizza. I've got some Molini-Pizzuti bread flour, so I'll use that and try to get hold of some gluten flour to boost it with. The pizza you cooked looks fantastic.

Pleasure mate. It's really good to be able to share local experiences in trying to replicate these American/Neo-Napolitan doughs here in Australia. It was this very forum that I credit for helping vastly increase my understanding thanks in big part to dedicated folks like Pete and after probably 8 or so years of trying, take me to a whole new level in pizza very quickly.

If you search around under my username you'll see a bit of a photo timeline of some the pizzas I've made since coming here.
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

Offline briterian

• and some think pizza's easy!
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 09:01:23 AM »
Thanks for the recipe.  I've been weighing all my ingredients and I wanted to know if the neo-neopolitan has ever been converted to bakers percents.  Pete-zza?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 09:47:31 AM »
Briterain,

See Reply #112, at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,524.100.html. For my purposes, I used a lower value of thickness factor than I calculated for the Reinhart recipe because I wanted a more direct comparison with the Lehmann NY style I usually make.

Peter