Author Topic: Ever give unsolicited advice to a pizzeria  (Read 836 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Ever give unsolicited advice to a pizzeria
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 05:02:51 PM »
I think this would be tough to pull off without offending. Best chance is as Waltertore said, develop a relationship first. Perhaps you could ask them how there pies are selling? If they say great, move on, but it might open the door to further conversation. in any case you'll need to go in and eat there often enough to be recognized. Hopefully they have other items besides pizza. It will be hard to give them advice when they say, "But you order one every time you come in." :)

jb
I like how when you ask places like this if they have ever heard of pizzamaking.com they look at ya like you're sport'in 2 heads or sumin.  ;D

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 06:00:51 PM »
Now that I am living outside the NYC area I rarely go to a pizzeria with hopes of finding what I consider a real NY style pie. Still I am a curious type and when I have time on my hands and pass a pizzeria I pull in. 

1. If there are people eating I look at their plates through the window outside. 

2. If things look ok I go in. 

3. If there is a line I watch the pies being made (if possible). 

4. Usually I start a conversation if they look at all passable when I get to the counter if things aren't busy.  I ask about their backround and such. 

5. If that goes good I share I am a pizza maker from NJ. 

If the people are friendly I usually end up in a nice conversation.  I have lived here 6.5 years and all 5 steps have only happened 4 times. Once at a whole foods with the wood fired oven guy in Columbus, once in a small shop in my town, once just outside columbus at a high end restaurant that serves deck pizza,and once in a shop north of columbus run by a brooklyn transplant.  I figure I must have looked at a hundred or more pizzerias and never walked in 90% of them.  I have learned to not count on any pizza but my own out here.   Most pizzerias out here have loyal followings and they are happy with the pies they make.  Who am I to say they are not right?   I say if you dig it eat it and if you don't don't eat it.  2 of the places I went in led to really nice conversations and I offered some suggestions that they readily accepted.  That is why I say make the pizza of your dreams because then you don't have to rely on anybody for a good pie :)  Walter
I follow almost exactly the same process as Walter.  I probably walked by two dozen pie shops in SF before spotting a pie at Tonys in Little Italy near Washington Square.  I had no idea who he was at the time, but his pies are a family favorite, and Tony is welcoming and engaging.

I have never made suggestions on pizza but I have gotten lots of tours of the ovens and have made a few comments about those, particularly gas ovens.  It seems to me that some units are amazingly inefficient in gas utilization.
Dave

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »
Those from the same joint?
Cheese melting/browning looks totally different on bottom slice.
What's up with the pie cut. That must have been some kind of bad sauce; they actually don't look too bad.
How much$ did they sell you Grande for Nate?  ;D

Bob

Same joint.  Double slice is my pic.  The other is someone else's.  They were selling me grande for $4/lb.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »
I took my mother to her hairdresser this morning to have a hair cut and perm.  I did try the pizzas they serve at the retirement community where my mother lives a few weeks ago.  There is a little cafe in the retirement community that visitors or staff can purchase different foods.  The time I tried the slice of pizza before it was called Judy's pizza and a long line had formed to get the same style of pizza.  I asked the staff in line if the pizza was good and they all raved about it.  Pizzas were flying out of the kitchen for people to purchase.  Today I had stopped in the little cafe again to see what they had to offer.  It was Judy's pizza again, plus other foods.  Usually their other foods look quite tasty.  I asked the lady that waited on me if they used a frozen pizza crust for their pizzas and she told me yes they do use a frozen crust.  I don't have a bottom crust photo, but the time I tried the one slice it looked pure white on the bottom crust and I could see the pizzas were baked on a screen.  I only took a few bites and threw the rest of the slice away before.  I knew not to purchase a slice again today.  What I found interesting is I talked to the executive chef the one day I was there and I asked her if she was from France because of her beautiful accent.  The executive chef said yes she was from France and has live in the US for two years now.  I said I guess she had tasted some great breads and baguettes in France.  She told me yes she did miss those great breads in France.  She said she could not find the right flours around our area to try to make those breads for residents of the retirement community.  I told her about the place I purchase my flours for pizzas.  She said she only live 5 minutes from the bakery supply place and would visit them.  I wonder if the executive chef every called or visited the bakery place.

I guess there will be no more of me trying a slice of pizza there again, and of course no advice.  The crust, sauce and cheese on the slice I had were the worst I think I ever had.   :-X

Norma   
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 03:05:45 PM »
"I asked the staff in line if the pizza was good and they all raved about it. "

Just makes ya scratch your head and wonder don't it Norma!  ::)

Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
"I asked the staff in line if the pizza was good and they all raved about it. "

Just makes ya scratch your head and wonder don't it Norma!  ::)

Bob

Yep Bob, it sure does make me scratch my head and wonder.   :-D  There are people that live in apartments and houses at the large retirement community and go to the cafe to eat their meals some of the time.  Two of them told me the Judy's pizzas were the best they have ever tasted.   :o  I just bit my tongue.

Norma

Offline waltertore

• Vendor
    • The Smiling With Hope Bakery
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »
Norma:  I think you are right- that pizza is hopeless to say the least.  I have worked with many world class chefs and most don't know much about dough just as most bakers/pizza/bagel makers don't know much about great non dough food making.  Most people sell food to make money.  The cheapest easiest most profitable way is the way most go without a second thought regarding quality.  America has been and is continually imershed in very poor food quality.    You should set up shop in that place and put a real slice on that long line of people plates.  Walter
The Smiling With Hope Bakery- A bakery with a purpose
http://www.newarkadvocate.com/article/20140124/NEWS01/301240031/Bakery-run-by-students-disabilities-earns-pizza-profile

Spontobeat- the spontaneous music concept I have created and how I spontaneously live my life   http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137 200 of my most current songs http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=157137&content=widgets

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
Norma:  I think you are right- that pizza is hopeless to say the least.  I have worked with many world class chefs and most don't know much about dough just as most bakers/pizza/bagel makers don't know much about great non dough food making.  Most people sell food to make money.  The cheapest easiest most profitable way is the way most go without a second thought regarding quality.  America has been and is continually imershed in very poor food quality.    You should set up shop in that place and put a real slice on that long line of people plates.  Walter

Walter,

I think the executive chef knows how to make dough, but she is there mainly to make sure the food is presentable looking and is as tasty as can be.  She comes up with new menu ideas too.  I don't know what happened to their pizzas though.  When I purchase food in that little cafe it is reasonably priced.  I don't think it would be too good for those older people to eat pizza everyday.  I guess the staff would find out what a better pizza tastes like.  In that little place called Manheim there are many pizzerias, but I don't call any of their pizzas really good.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2014, 05:36:10 PM »
N  You should set up shop in that place and put a real slice on that long line of people plates.  Walter
Hahaa...I was just going to ask if the Retirement Center might have a lil space available for Norma to set up a stand!  8)
She's waay too good for them though dammit.  >:(

Bob
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:38:05 PM by Chicago Bob »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2014, 05:56:14 PM »
Hahaa...I was just going to ask if the Retirement Center might have a lil space available for Norma to set up a stand!  8)
She's waay too good for them though dammit.  >:(

Bob

Bob,

I would not want to bake pizzas for the whole retirement community because it is quite big, but where my mother is there are only about 16 residents.  They have their own great looking kitchen with neat ovens and much more.  They have most of their food brought in from the big kitchens but they do make some of their own foods in the kitchen where my mother is (like desserts).  Someday I might ask if I can bring my pizza stone, dough balls, cheese and sauce and see what the staff and residents think about having different types of pizzas.  I did take clear toys lollipops in for the residents where my mother is and they really enjoyed them. 

Norma

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
Ever give unsolicited advice to a pizzeria
« Reply #30 on: Yesterday at 09:19:05 PM »
I was contacted by the owner of questionable pizzeria after reading my Yelp review.  He insinuated that I didn't know anything about pizza and he was thankful that his many customers had a different opinion; he has a grand total of three reviews and the other two are clearly his relatives.

I brushed his insult aside and told him I'd drop off a better formulation for his conveyor oven (an "American" formulation instead of his pseudo-NY)..  I left an envelope with the information for him at his business this morning.  It'll be interesting to see how he responds.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 09:33:24 PM »
I brushed his insult aside and told him I'd drop off a better formulation for his conveyor oven (an "American" formulation instead of his pseudo-NY)..  I left an envelope with the information for him at his business this morning.  It'll be interesting to see how he responds.
Jonas,

That is hilarious. If nothing else, he should quickly discover that you are not a dunce when it comes to pizza.

Peter

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 09:59:34 PM »
I was contacted by the owner of questionable pizzeria after reading my Yelp review.  He insinuated that I didn't know anything about pizza and he was thankful that his many customers had a different opinion; he has a grand total of three reviews and the other two are clearly his relatives.

Now that's very cool. Hope he has the marbles to try it and let you know!!

jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #33 on: Today at 12:23:39 AM »

I offered to help a Neapolitan place that was having a bit of a struggle with quality. I told the owner I'd come in and spend a whole day with them, and all I asked for in return was a dinner. He said he wanted to do it, but when I called him to set it up, he never returned my call. All you can do is offer.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan