Author Topic: A literal pizza pie  (Read 929 times)

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
A literal pizza pie
« on: August 14, 2013, 02:33:42 PM »
So, I was thinking.  (Yes, it hurt.)  Has anyone ever tried making an actual pizza pie?  As in an apple pie but with pizza toppings on the inside?  I'm feeling rather adventurous and was going to make an attempt at this over the weekend.  I'm essentially approaching it as a cross between a deep dish pizza and a big calzone with extra toppings on the inside.  Deep dish with a thin crust.

Couple of concerns though.  If I'm using a pie tin or round cake pan, I'm not going to be able to slide it out to brown the bottom.  Other than using the bottom rack in my oven, is there anyway I can avoid a soggy bottom crust?  I 'm thinking about doing a thin layer of cheese, then sauce and toppings followed by another layer of cheese so as to avoid having the sauce saturate the dough too much.  Any other ideas or concerns I might need to worry about?  Is this even feasible?

Offline DustinA

• I Love Pizza!
Re: A literal pizza pie
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:54:44 PM »
Hahaha this actually worked!  Pics to come.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »
Isn't this what Giordano's is famous for?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 06:23:32 AM »
So, I was thinking.  (Yes, it hurt.)  Has anyone ever tried making an actual pizza pie?  As in an apple pie but with pizza toppings on the inside?  I'm feeling rather adventurous and was going to make an attempt at this over the weekend.  I'm essentially approaching it as a cross between a deep dish pizza and a big calzone with extra toppings on the inside.  Deep dish with a thin crust.

Couple of concerns though.  If I'm using a pie tin or round cake pan, I'm not going to be able to slide it out to brown the bottom.  Other than using the bottom rack in my oven, is there anyway I can avoid a soggy bottom crust?  I 'm thinking about doing a thin layer of cheese, then sauce and toppings followed by another layer of cheese so as to avoid having the sauce saturate the dough too much.  Any other ideas or concerns I might need to worry about?  Is this even feasible?

Yes.  It's called stuffed pizza.  Search Giordano's, Nancy's, and Edwardos in IL for more info.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:25:14 AM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

pizzapan