Author Topic: Preserving 6 in 1 after opening....  (Read 1814 times)

Offline JasonT

Preserving 6 in 1 after opening....
« on: November 10, 2012, 10:19:28 AM »
I currently use the 12oz can of the 6 in 1 and I get about 3-4 pizzas from it. I generally make about 1 pizza a week, so I would use the entire can in maybe three weeks. Currently I am freezing the leftover sauce, but was wondering if I just put it into a jar in the fridge, how long it would be safe to use?

Any ideas?

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Preserving 6 in 1 after opening....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »
Jason, just bought my 1st can of 6 in 1, and like you I make 1 pizza a week. I generally do not keep any tomato product in the fridge for longer than a week. I suggest freezing in individual containers, one container per pizza. Using the 6 in 1 is going to be a diversion for me as I have only been using San Marzano DOP to this point. We will see.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 03:28:28 PM »
There are canister/jar vacuum sealers. But I have seen sauce last quite awhile placed in a regular 'ol baggie and smooshed up so the air is driven out...give that a try.
I buy the #10 cans and divide into baggies and place all bags into a larger "freezer" bags....I have no problem with "frozen" sauce per say....but if it's convenience you are after then give the squeezed baggie in the frig. a try....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JasonT

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 04:10:46 PM »
Jason, just bought my 1st can of 6 in 1, and like you I make 1 pizza a week. I generally do not keep any tomato product in the fridge for longer than a week. I suggest freezing in individual containers, one container per pizza. Using the 6 in 1 is going to be a diversion for me as I have only been using San Marzano DOP to this point. We will see.

Mark

I was using San Marzano DOP, but recently switched to 6 in 1 and I love it. I get the 12oz cans for $2 and as I said, I get about 3-4 pizzas out of it. With the SM, I was paying $6 a can and getting one pizza per can, plus having to go through the entire process of making the sauce.

The 6 in 1 also don't have citric acid and I use it straight from the can, with a little sugar. It wins hands down for me.

There are canister/jar vacuum sealers. But I have seen sauce last quite awhile placed in a regular 'ol baggie and smooshed up so the air is driven out...give that a try.
I buy the #10 cans and divide into baggies and place all bags into a larger "freezer" bags....I have no problem with "frozen" sauce per say....but if it's convenience you are after then give the squeezed baggie in the frig. a try....

Ya I am freezing three portions at a time. The sauce doesn't seem runny.

Generally I never keep sauce in the fridge longer than five days, but thought maybe there was another trick I may not know of.

Offline La Sera

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 10:40:24 PM »
Some pizza operators mix their sauce and don't even consider using it until it's seasoned for at least a week in the refrigerator, so you might be rushing to throw out perfectly good tomatoes. It's a fruit, not meat.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 11:07:16 PM »
Some pizza operators mix their sauce and don't even consider using it until it's seasoned for at least a week in the refrigerator, so you might be rushing to throw out perfectly good tomatoes. It's a fruit, not meat.
+1...good one! This is prolly the "trick" he is scared of.... 8)

Offline JasonT

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:37:52 AM »

I'm not one to waste food, so I always freeze sauces, cheeses, meats, etc.

I just can't afford to be wrong because my wife is pregnant, so I think I'm going to just keep freezing the 6 in 1 for now.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 11:05:36 AM »
I currently use the 12oz can of the 6 in 1 and I get about 3-4 pizzas from it.

Jason,

I do not recall ever seeing or reading about a 12-ounce can of 6-in1s. Do you mean a 28-ounce can?

Peter

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 08:09:11 PM »
Tomatoes are acidic enough to last for a week with no change, and a couple of weeks if you want to push it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 08:26:18 PM »
You'll know when they have turned the corner....many refrigerators have a shelf/spot nearest the air inlet from the freezer that keeps things a lot longer than one might think/expect.

Offline Meatballs

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »
Since I'll be cooking it at 500 deg. F under convection and on an aluminized steel plate, I keep it till it gets hairy.

Ron