Author Topic: Experimental Dough  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Experimental Dough
« on: November 23, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
I would like to begin some experimental doughs using Caputo OO red bag flour and brewers yeast in my hot 'lil Deni counter oven and the LBE.
Am hoping I might get a recommendation or three on which strain I might want to try first....thank you.

http://brewmasterstore.com/products.aspx?id=106

I am also interested in trying some variations on an All Trumps bleached and bromated using a brewers yeast on a 620ish stone in my home gas oven. Any thoughts/recommendations on this would also be much appreciated.  :chef:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 04:23:33 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Experimental Dough
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
I just found this thread of Marc's from back in '08(thanks Marc). It describes what I'm after....http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7151.0.html#top

Also, in July of '11 TXCraig asked Doctor Tom a question in the "coopers brewers yeast" thread about "top" and "bottom" fermenting brewer's yeasts and I am wondering if there was ever a "taste" preference discovered between the 2 processing types. Thank you.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14709.msg147121.html#msg147121

Bob

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:01:02 PM »
Though I have no real opinion on the effectiveness of brewer's yeast as opposed to baker's yeast, i will be interested to hear about your results.

As far as I understand it, the actual yeast type does not show up in terms of flavor, but is a contributor to overall texture and fermentation profile, which can result in stronger or weaker flavor due to suppression of enzyme activity.

A difficult topic to tackle!  Good luck, Bob.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 07:34:13 PM »
I'm also curious to hear your results.  My personal opinion is that any flavor compounds that the different yeasts creates which would differentiate it will be cooked off by the heat of the bake.
-Jeff

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »
CB,  I would work with the dry ones only,  the wet ones are made for a one time use and would get quite expensive to experiment with.  Look for the safele ones in that list that are under 4.00 make a decision based on its characteristics....  Thats what I would do.  -Marc

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 09:52:10 PM »
I'm also curious to hear your results.  My personal opinion is that any flavor compounds that the different yeasts creates which would differentiate it will be cooked off by the heat of the bake.
shuboyje,
I'm hoping that I'll be able to experience some of Marc's findings in the thread that I linked above. I know that  it is commonly known/stated that there is no flavor difference in the 3 common "baker's" yeasts(idy,ady, and compressed/cake ). But some have reported differences when experimenting with "brewers".

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »
... Caputo OO red bag flour ...

I think that it would be important to say what size your "red bag" is.  The small red bags are supposedly the same as the large blue ones.  The large red bags are a differrent animal altogether.

Just trying to help.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7191.0.html
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 02:21:50 PM »
I think that it would be important to say what size your "red bag" is.  The small red bags are supposedly the same as the large blue ones.  The large red bags are a differrent animal altogether.

Just trying to help.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7191.0.html
Thanks Gene...I have several each of the small red bag tipo 00 "pizzeria" and the large Penn Mac bags of tipo 00 "pizzeria"   No "00 Rinforzato"
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:23:52 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline sub

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 05:31:40 AM »
good luck with your experiments Bob,

the red bag is good for at least two days of cold ferment and 36h at room temperature.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:16:48 AM by sub »