Author Topic: keep trying but need help  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Trazom

keep trying but need help
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:57:25 PM »
Hello everyone,

After trying a bunch of dough recipes, giving up then trying again with results from just edible to almost good I now know how much I don't know and need help.

In a perfect world I would love to be able to make  thin  wood fired crisp  pizza with a bit of chew that you can hold at the edge and does not flop over. Little burnt spots with basic even minimal toppings, fresh mozzarella ,tomato, basil or some meat. That may or may not be exactly round in shape.

I figured I would say what kind of pizza I like and what equipment I have and someone could point me in the right direction. Because my current method,  which is actually no method at all but more like trying the same wrong thing over and over needs help. And after research it seems better to start over right than try to adapt what I have tried.

Anyway, i have an electric home oven @500 max temp, 16 inch round pizza stone. That i would like to cook on from start to finish. I normally ferment my bread dough in a plastic 6qt round food storage container with a lid, in the fridge or out on a warm counter etc. I mix by hand or with a Danish dough whisk. And knead by hand.Right now I measure by volume however this has finally pushed me over the edge and I will be measuring by weight soon.  I use active or instant dry yeast , King Arthur AP  flour , Morton or Diamond kosher salt, tap water ,evoo, and a wood peel.

Sometimes I will make dough a day ahead and ferment long and slow or in the morning for use in the late afternoon.

I realize I am not going to get the Neapolitan 800 pizza so I'm wondering what are my best options to get as close to that with what I have?

Dough styles I  rather stay away from are thick bread like dough or ones that have a giant  puffy crust/ handle or edge , sry not sure the proper term, I'm looking for  the outer edge to be only slightly thicker than the rest if the pie. Hope I am explaining that correctly .

Please excuse the long post or typos  it has been brewing for a while and typed out on my phone.

Thanks for any advise anyone can give
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 09:59:57 PM by Trazom »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: keep trying but need help
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
Trazom,
Welcome aboard. Take a look at the New York section....this sounds like what you may be searching for. Dive right in with any questions you have...most members don't see these noob posts.  ;)
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:54:00 PM »
.... And knead by hand.Right now I measure by volume however this has finally pushed me over the edge and I will be measuring by weight soon.....  

Generally on a cracker style crust, not much kneeding is necessary, the "dough" is mutch to dry to actually kneed.  It barely all comes together.  The KAAP you use is perfect for a better than you can buy cracker crust.  Sometimes par baked without any toppings, then topped and finished off.  Does this sound like something you are interested in?

This is a good read.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg48991.html#msg48991

If you have any more questions, post them.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline IndyRob

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »
I'm reading thin crust, but not cracker, with some char, but not a big outer crust.

For the latter, I'd suggest that you roll the dough as opposed to tossing it.  And bring the toppings to as close to the edge as practical.

Your oven is key.  It can go up to 500, but when it does this is the top surface really hot?   If so, you've got a better chance for char than my oven that gets to 550.  A lack of insulation will make the bottom burner work really hard.  This can work in your favor.  Use that heat from the bottom burner by putting your pizza on the bottom rack.  Think about using a pan or screen.  If you burn the bottom of the pizza, that can be a positive sign.  Just move the stone/pan/screen up in the future.

If you're not getting enough browning or char then add some sugar to the dough.  If the cooked crust is too brittle, increase the oil.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 01:08:04 PM »
Hello everyone,

After trying a bunch of dough recipes, giving up then trying again with results from just edible to almost good I now know how much I don't know and need help.

In a perfect world I would love to be able to make  thin  wood fired crisp  pizza with a bit of chew that you can hold at the edge and does not flop over.

I realize I am not going to get the Neapolitan 800 pizza so I'm wondering what are my best options to get as close to that with what I have?

Thanks for any advise anyone can give

Rob, sounds to me like equipment wise, you are on the right path. As far as ovens go, most of us have to work with what we have, unless of course we buy something else.

From the type of pie you say you like, I don't think it matches with your statement about the Neo pie and getting close to that. If interested read up on what the description of a neo pie is or better yet find a place that cooks them and eat one or three.

It may be of help if you told us what it is about your pies that you DO NOT LIKE. It may just take some tweeking to get them to your ideal pie.

Good luck!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Trazom

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I have some good things to focus on now.  I have realized I need to move my stone lower to take better advantage of my bottom burner.  My scale is in the mail so once I can get a good dough recipe I can tweak from there. 

I am not crazy about the idea about par baking the skin because it kind of goes away from my pizza philosophy ,how dough should stretched out ,dressed/topped  then cooked. To me if I need to take a step in between something else needs to change. I need a few runs once I get my scale until then thanks for the direction.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I have some good things to focus on now.  I have realized I need to move my stone lower to take better advantage of my bottom burner.  My scale is in the mail so once I can get a good dough recipe I can tweak from there. 

I am not crazy about the idea about par baking the skin because it kind of goes away from my pizza philosophy ,how dough should stretched out ,dressed/topped  then cooked. To me if I need to take a step in between something else needs to change. I need a few runs once I get my scale until then thanks for the direction.

Trazom,
In our home ovens sometimes you have to use nontraditional methods. Particularly when trying to make a cracker crust like Jet Deck was mentioning. It can be done without a parbake but is much more difficult.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Trazom

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 01:13:38 PM »
Thanks ,

I completely understand why. Its just not something I want  to entertain right now. 

pizzapan