Author Topic: Petra 3  (Read 3515 times)

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
Re: Petra 3
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 10:10:01 AM »
When I hear Petra I think orson s card... ;)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
Those look great!  How did you hear of this flour?

I read somewhere that Ciro Salvo uses the Petra flour in his dough so I wanted to give it a try. 

Marlon:

Looks fabulous. From the look of the dough balls, it looks pretty similar to the Central Milling Type 85 (not suggesting anything other than look). Have you ever tried a batch of dough with only the T85?

Barry

Barry, that is what I initially thought when I was researching about this flour but I learned that their stone milling process allows them to keep all of the wheat kernel intact, yet, keeping the end product soft.  I believe they use hard white spring wheat for this flour.  The protein level of the Petra 3 is at 13-14% but it is not stiff like the Country Type 85 flour or even the Artisan Type 70 from Central Milling with hydration levels below 70%. 

I have tried the T85 and T70 for pizza dough but the handling and feel of the dough is totally different. 

Marlon

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Michael130207

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 12:25:27 PM »
Those pies look wonderful! At what temperature did you let the dough rise?
Michael

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 12:37:40 PM »
What a wonderful find for you!!  I've been searching for Petra after reading about it a couple years ago.  I have never found it.  Your pizzas look fantastic, and those dough balls will haunt me.  I'll keep looking...  Can your source get more?

Offline PizzaJerk

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 12:48:35 PM »
If I may inquire, what oven and at what temperature were these baked?

Wonderful looking pies by the way.
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 01:31:45 PM »
Those pies look wonderful! At what temperature did you let the dough rise?

Thanks!  They were kept at room temp all the way (around 64F). 

What a wonderful find for you!!  I've been searching for Petra after reading about it a couple years ago.  I have never found it.  Your pizzas look fantastic, and those dough balls will haunt me.  I'll keep looking...  Can your source get more?

Thank you Robyn!  I should be able to get some more through the deli although they have not officially carried the product but I may be able to order a few bags.  I will let you know. 

Marlon

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 01:38:17 PM »
If I may inquire, what oven and at what temperature were these baked?

Wonderful looking pies by the way.

Thanks!  I baked them in a homemade WFO.  The floor temp was about 825F.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 08:05:42 AM »
I am sorry I am still new to all of this. What would be the breakdown of the percentages in grams? I'm sure there is a post somewhere to figure that out too.

csfranek,

I took the midrange value (285 grams) of the dough ball weight that Marlon (bakeshack) provided in Reply 15 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,22392.msg227794.html#msg227794 and plugged it into the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html along with the baker's percents values. This is what I got:

Flour* (100%):
Water (62%):
CY (0.10%):
Salt (2.8%):
Total (164.9%):
172.83 g  |  6.1 oz | 0.38 lbs
107.16 g  |  3.78 oz | 0.24 lbs
0.17 g | 0.01 oz | 0 lbs |
4.84 g | 0.17 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.87 tsp | 0.29 tbsp
285 g | 10.05 oz | 0.63 lbs | TF = N/A
*The Flour comprises 50% (86.4 grams) Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour and 50% (86.4 grams) Petra 3 flour
Note: The dough is for a single approximately 12.5"-13" pizza; no bowl residue compensation

Using the expanded dough calculating tool, you can, of course, change whatever values you'd like, including increasing or decreasing the dough ball weight and increasing the number of dough balls.

Peter