Author Topic: whole vs crushed tomatoes  (Read 1752 times)

Offline Detmsp

whole vs crushed tomatoes
« on: December 15, 2012, 12:31:02 AM »
Does anyone have an opinion on whether crushed or whole tomatoes work better in sauce? I've always used cento whole peeled tomatoes. It tastes great, but it is a bit tedious squeezing out all the water/seeds/stem.  I was wondering if crushed tomatoes would yield me a similar result with less work.  Thanks for your thoughts!

Offline ThatsAmore

Re: whole vs crushed tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 12:42:35 AM »
I used to use puree and have recently switch to crushed and I'm very happy with the results. That of course is going the other way as far as thicknesses is concerned. What I would suggest, buy a can of each, mix up a batch using the crushed instead of the whole, and you should be able to tell whether it's to your liking before you sauce a skin. If you like it, use the whole tomatoes in either a batch of spaghetti or chili.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:44:07 AM by ThatsAmore »
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 08:25:23 AM »
I'm a Cento crushed user and happy with them. Good flavor and the only ingredient is tomatoes. For me they are ready to go right out of the can. Season as you wish.
Marty

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:14:27 PM »
@apizza

Cento has three different varieties of crushed tomatoes, which do you use?

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 03:25:49 PM »
Does anyone have an opinion on whether crushed or whole tomatoes work better in sauce? I've always used cento whole peeled tomatoes. It tastes great, but it is a bit tedious squeezing out all the water/seeds/stem.  I was wondering if crushed tomatoes would yield me a similar result with less work.  Thanks for your thoughts!

Get a food mill.  It will deseed and destem them.  It makes your life a lot easier. 

pizzapan