Author Topic: First starter ferment going poorly I fear  (Read 1071 times)

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
First starter ferment going poorly I fear
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:30:58 PM »
Went with 1.3% ischia culture in my final dough formulation.  Bulk ferment at 65 degrees and it rose 2.5 times itself.  Reballed after 20hrs and kept at 65F but now I am seeing little pits developing on top of doughball only after 4hrs.   I'm using a All Trumps/KAAP blend with 63% hydration.  Thoughts?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

enter8

Re: First starter ferment going poorly I fear
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:50:34 PM »
I don't think your starter is the problem here. Indeed it sounds very active and healthy
I'm wondering if you let the bulk ferment go too far (I generally ball before the dough rises even 1.5x ). It's possible there's too much proteolytic action at the 20 hour mark and hence your balls aren't  retaining gas so well (with reference to the "pits" on the doughball). Are they spreading out noticeably?
The other thing to consider might be fewer fermentable sugars at the 20 hour mark hence a slower proof.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:56:14 PM »
Yes they are spreading out big time.  I tried to follow TXCraig's guideline but my ingredients are different and responding differently.   Any way to save the doughballs for an evening bake tomorrow?  What does your last sentence mean?

Nate
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:58:04 PM by pythonic »

enter8

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 10:02:11 PM »
I tried to follow TXCraig's guideline but my ingredients are different and responding differently.  What does your last sentence mean?

Nate

At some point during fermentation, the bacteria and yeast in the culture can slow down due to a number of factors including pH/acidity and levels/availability of fermentable sugars (ie the sugars that are released as the starch breaks down during fermentation).

If the doughballs are spreading out a lot, I suspect it's a proteolytic enzyme problem. You might try balling earlier next time.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 10:22:14 PM by enter8 »

Offline pythonic

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 10:27:33 PM »
Can they be reballed again and put into the fridge or are these doughballs shot?

enter8

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:34:27 PM »
Can they be reballed again and put into the fridge or are these doughballs shot?

I'm not sure reballing them is going to make much difference if you're going for a long proof. I'd certainly go ahead and bake at least one anyway to see how it fares.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »
I am baking one in 45mins and I put the other in the fridge.  I'll post pics of doughball and baked pie when dal/wash game is over.

Offline pythonic

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 11:51:53 PM »
So I baked it up and I was surprised how much sourdough I tasted in the crust.  A little overwelming actually for me.  Could this be because of the way the dough fermented?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 07:03:55 AM »
So I baked it up and I was surprised how much sourdough I tasted in the crust.  A little overwelming actually for me.  Could this be because of the way the dough fermented?

The flour you are using has malt in it. It could very well be why the dough got away from you and over proofed. Craig uses Caputo which has no malt. Malt is just powdered sugar and a catalyst for fermentation. Add in the higher hydration and things go pretty quickly.

Even so, if your dough is more than doubling after 20 hours with 1.3% of flour, then that is an incredibly active starter. Are you positive you had the amount correct in the formula?

John

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 08:00:58 AM »
.....then that is an incredibly active starter.....

:-D :chef: :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline pythonic

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »
The flour you are using has malt in it. It could very well be why the dough got away from you and over proofed. Craig uses Caputo which has no malt. Malt is just powdered sugar and a catalyst for fermentation. Add in the higher hydration and things go pretty quickly.

Even so, if your dough is more than doubling after 20 hours with 1.3% of flour, then that is an incredibly active starter. Are you positive you had the amount correct in the formula?

John

Hi John,

It appears I made a calculator error and went with 13% starter!!!
Damn those decimal points.  That would also be the reason for the big sourdough taste I assume.

pizzapan