Author Topic: Ischia or Camaldori starter?  (Read 1583 times)

Offline torontonian

Ischia or Camaldori starter?
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:00:17 PM »
Hi all - I'm ready to start experimenting with natural starters. I just received the Ischia and Camaldori starters from Ed Wood.

For those who have used both, what are the characteristics of each? Do they perform differently in terms of activation/development? % of each in final dough percents?

Appreciate some input.

Thanks all!

-- Josh

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Ischia or Camaldori starter?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:19:42 PM »
Josh, I wish I could give a better response but I really suck at making accurate descriptions. :P  Let me just say that I have both. While the Camoldoli has been ignored in the back of my fridge for the last two years, my Ischia gets used every week! It has an awesome, just mildly sourdough flavor. I make dough every Thursday for pizza on Friday. I feed it daily on Monday, Tue. and Wed. and again on Wed. night. I make dough on Thurs. morning and put the starter back in the fridge til Monday morning.
 I use 2.5% of total dough, room temp, 12hrs bulk, 12 balled.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 01:22:15 PM by Ev »

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »
Josh - I use both, and have found the Ischia to be more sour, but more lively. The Camoldoli, which I end up using most of the time, is much more laid back. Italians in general regard sourness as a defect - natural pre-ferments should leaven only. But most of us here want that slight tang, as it adds complexity to the flavor. Obviously, the French do like some sourness, as well as those from San Francisco.

John

enter8

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 03:40:23 PM »
Josh - I use both, and have found the Ischia to be more sour, but more lively. The Camoldoli, which I end up using most of the time, is much more laid back. Italians in general regard sourness as a defect - natural pre-ferments should leaven only. But most of us here want that slight tang, as it adds complexity to the flavor. Obviously, the French do like some sourness, as well as those from San Francisco.

John

Hey John, are you sure about your comment regarding French and SF tastes?  Generally speaking they like their levain pretty mild in France and consider an acidic tang such as the sourness in SF sourdough (a la Acme bread co.) to be a somewhat defective/less-than-desirable result. Even the famous Poilane, which is already more sour than most Pain au levain, is still pretty balanced/mild-ish overall.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »
I prefer the Ischia - probably because I know it a lot better. I would have to go out of my way to make a sour dough with it.

Notwithstanding, other people's opinion is not a substitute for trying them both for yourself. There are so many variables, your results may differ meaningfully.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »
Generally speaking they like their levain pretty mild in France

FWIW, the French starter from sourdo.com is definitely the sweetest/mildest I have ever used.

Offline torontonian

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »
Thanks all for your input.

I've got the Ischia activating as I type, and I'm sure I will be back with more questions later!

Thx,
Josh

Offline corkd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 05:09:18 PM »
I agree with Bill- I use the French starter from ed wood, and find it to be mild. I wash mine periodically to keep it that way.
I use it for everything currently.
I have used both Ischia & Camaldoli as well, & would agree with dellavecchia's descriptions.

In my experience so far, any starter can become way too sour/out of balance if you allow it to do so.

I was using the SF sourdough version, but found it to be too aggressively flavored, even after washing it. I even left it proofing in the oven
once with the light on, & forgot about it & switched on the oven... it went to over 200, the plastic container partially melted. I saved some, added flour & water & it regrew. Hardy stuff.

-clay

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 05:34:22 PM »
I did my first pizzas last night with the Camaldori (obtained from sourdo.com).

I used an autolyse process, and then cold ferment rise for 2 days.

I loved the tastes. It was definitely much more tasty compared to the non-starter pizzas I had made to date (only 6 so far).

I have no experience, yet, with the Ischia.. but I have some dried yeast waiting for a starter to begin!

Q

pizzapan