Author Topic: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?  (Read 25252 times)

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
I have been told that blending the seeds would make the sauce bitter. However, I did not get a bitter taste here. i am going to try this at home. Sounds so easy to do.
That's just an old wives tale Tom. Many folks like to food mill the seeds out though for texture reasons. Many a Italian mommas would never offend their guests with having seeds get stuck in their teeth from enjoying her Sunday gravy.  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Bob,

Are you saying to put the sauce through a strainer after you blend it? Are the seeds that noticeable after being blended???  I did not get that info from the workers in the kitchen. i really think they were telling me the truth about how they blend the whole tomatoes and pulp. Then put it onto the pizza. Thanks.

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Here is a youTube link on the La Regina Di San Marzano Tomatoes. it is in Italian, but you can see everything being done.

La Regina Di San Marzano Tomatoes

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Bob,

Are you saying to put the sauce through a strainer after you blend it? Are the seeds that noticeable after being blended???  I did not get that info from the workers in the kitchen. i really think they were telling me the truth about how they blend the whole tomatoes and pulp. Then put it onto the pizza. Thanks.

TomN
No, I was saying blending seeds is fine and it's an old wives tale saying they need to be removed.

Some mommas might remove them for her Sunday gravy....Capish?  ???

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Tom,

I never took the seeds out when making Les's Sebastopol Sweet Sauce and I never noticed any bitterness either.  If you are interested, this is the thread about when I was making Les's Sebastopol Sweet Sauce different times and Les's link to his sauce in the first post.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11539.0.html

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Thank you Bob & Norma,

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: If I gave you a can of Peeled Tomatoes? How would you make pizza sauce?
« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2013, 12:59:26 AM »
A few photos from a pizzeria in town that make a true Neapolitan Style pizza.  Is always surprises me that the sauce is just uncooked crushed SM tomatoes with a little salt. Of course, this is an oven that takes about four days to get completely hot. They never stop the burning wood until evening closing and even with that, the oven is still at 600 degrees in the morning. i really loved the pizza.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2013, 01:00:50 AM »
the outside of the oven and i even stuck my phone into the oven for a very quick moment to get the photo. The Pizzaiolo, who has worked there for many years, knows how to cook the pizza without burning the crust. Again, i am always amazed at how little is added to the crushed SM tomatoes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:03:38 AM by TomN »

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2013, 09:56:33 AM »
A few photos from a pizzeria in town that make a true Neapolitan Style pizza.  Is always surprises me that the sauce is just uncooked crushed SM tomatoes with a little salt.

Again, i am always amazed at how little is added to the crushed SM tomatoes.

How many times will you have to see this before you might consider opening to the possibility that this is the best method for Neapolitan pizza?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »
LOL... I am just going to keep doing research, eating pizza after pizza, to figure it out. I can see that this will be an on going study for me.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2013, 01:42:48 AM »
After talking with the Pizzaiolo/ Chefs, in some of the woof fire Pizzerias, it was explained to me that they just grind up the SM tomatoes in a processor and put them directly onto their pizza with a little Sea Salt. Since i had a can of CENTO tomatoes on my shelf, I decided to experiment with it on a smaller 8" pizza.  I only used the tomatoes and not the extra sauce / juice that was in the can.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:59:54 AM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2013, 01:50:20 AM »
CENOT SM tomatoes, Himalayan Pink Salt, Bella Rosano Whole Milk Mozzarella, Fresh Basil. I cooked the pizza in my home oven for 5 mins, so I had to put the Basil on the pizza at the very end. I might use less Basil next time. Over all, I like the pizza. I will keep experimenting with the SM tomatoes.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2013, 01:55:20 AM »
I forgot that I had Pecorino Romano Cheese in my fridge. I meant to sprinkle a little bit onto the pizza. I wonder how that might add or take away from the flavor? Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

TomN
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:57:27 AM by TomN »

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »
I forgot that I had Pecorino Romano Cheese in my fridge. I meant to sprinkle a little bit onto the pizza. I wonder how that might add or take away from the flavor? Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

TomN
I don't know Tom...you're working with some really tasty tomatoes there and if it were me I'd just stick to the straight Mozz only.
That last pie was a beauty but I notice the Bella Rosano sure seems to melt/brown more like LM/PS. Not that it's a bad thing...just curious how the pizza would have been with a more lighter NY whitness to it. Is that cheese very salty Tom?

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2013, 01:41:34 PM »
I am guessing that I could take the pizza out a little sooner and be ok, but I like the thin crispy crust and I like the taste of the browning on my cheese. Also, The Bella Rosano cheese is made just right, not too salty either. I even added some salt to the ground tomatoes.

Your right about the tomatoes, they do have a great flavor. I am so used to using Pizzaiolo by Stanislaus, that this was a nice change. I purchased a can of La Regino SM Tomatoes from a Pizzeria friend and I am waiting to try them. I have tried it at his Pizzeria and really enjoy them, but I want to see how they turn out in my home oven as opposed to their WFO.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:44:07 PM by TomN »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2013, 03:26:06 PM »
I picked up this cheese today at Whole Foods. I will make a pizza tonight and see how it tastes with the ground CENTO SM Tomatoes.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »
I picked up this cheese today at Whole Foods. I will make a pizza tonight and see how it tastes with the ground CENTO SM Tomatoes.

I'd suggest cutting/tearing the balls into the size you want to use and then draining them on paper towels for a couple hours first. That's the cheese I use (though I buy the larger size), and it can be pretty wet sometimes.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2013, 05:38:14 PM »
Thanks Craig,

I planned on draining them and cutting them up, but never considered letting them dry out a bit. I'll give it a try.

TomN

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2013, 02:49:38 AM »
Made a classic Margherita Pizza tonight with the CENTO tomatoes that I ground up and the Cheese that I showed in the photos above. Since I cooked it in my home oven at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, I added the fresh basil at the last 2 minutes so that it would not burn. I really enjoyed this pizza. All I added to the ground tomatoes was some salt. I will do this again for sure.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2013, 02:50:06 AM »
other photo shots