Author Topic: Is All Caputo Flour Equal?  (Read 858 times)

Offline Lakeside

Is All Caputo Flour Equal?
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:16:49 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to wood fired oven cooking and I am working on developing my dough for some Neapolitan pizza. I have done a few practice cooks with store bought dough, just to get my fire management down. The dough I used was... well, boring and not as crispy as I'd like it to be. So, after searching this forum I realize I need to spend some time developing a dough and process in the quest for the perfect crust. Apparently Caputo flour is an essential ingredient in doing that. My question is: which Caputo flour? I did a quick search and found many brand names. Is there a big difference?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Is All Caputo Flour Equal?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:55:21 AM »
Caputo is a brand not a type of flour. They make many types of flour. For Neapolitan pizza, their "pizzeria" flour is an excellent choice. It comes in a 25kg blue and white bag (generrally referred to as the "blue bag"). The same flour is also packed in a 1kg red bag labeled "The Chef's Flour," but you will pay a lot more for it packed that way. If you see someone on this forum discuss "Caputo," this is most likely the flour they are talking about.

You will also see the term "00" here and elsewhere pizza is discussed. This is one of many "00" flours. This describes the milling of the flour.  All "00" flours are not the same, however. Not even close.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Lakeside

Re: Is All Caputo Flour Equal?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 12:09:05 PM »
Thank you! I think what I was seeing was a bunch of different Caputo products and got confused. Thanks for the info!

-Mike

pizzapan