Author Topic: Any good NP pizza in Tampa/Sarasota/St. Pete's ???  (Read 849 times)

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Any good NP pizza in Tampa/Sarasota/St. Pete's ???
« on: July 18, 2013, 04:28:25 PM »
I will be on vacation near to Sarasota (Longboat Key) for the next few weeks.

Can anybody recommend any really good wood fired NP places in the local area? Or for that matter any really outstanding other style joints to check out while the family and I are there???

Thx,

Alasdair

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Any good NP pizza in Tampa/Sarasota/St. Pete's ???
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 04:39:33 PM »
Hit Wood Fired Pizza for sure. They are in both Tampa and St. Pete. Tampa is the original. It's owned by Pizzamaking.com alumni Pete Taylor. I think he built both the Neapolitan-style ovens himself. The one in Tampa for sure. If you go, please take lot of pictures of the pies and the oven.

http://www.wood-firedpizza.com/locations.html
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online acbova

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »
Yea wood fired for sure.   I really want to go back down again.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 05:45:36 PM »
I got some great NY style there a couple years ago. I don't recall the name, but they were NY transplants and opened up a pizza shop so it was pretty authentic.

Kind've a useless reply, you're welcome...  ;D
Josh

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 06:26:52 PM »
Alasdair,

Another of our members, by the name of Jamie, is selling Detroit style pizzas. See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17214.msg167393.html#msg167393 and a review at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,18528.msg180218.html#msg180218.

Peter

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 04:01:57 AM »
Awesome responses guys - many thanks!

Looks like Wood Fired is definitely on the to-do list. Naturally leavened artisanal pizza and craft beer - two of my favourite things! Plus a good wine selection for my wife. Fantastic. I've just read the menu and I am hungry already....

And.... I have never tried Detroit style, I feel a visit to Pizza Squared will be on the cards as well.

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »
I visited Wood Fired in St. Pete yesterday - and I have to say it was some of the best pizza I have ever eaten!

My wife had a small seven cheese, 2 of my kids shared a large Carnivore, the other kid had a small pepperoni pie to himself. All were very good and totally demolished.

I had a pie with prosciutto and brussel sprouts. It was excellent. The crust was just about perfect, with a lovely puffed and blistered cornice. Great texture and taste from the sourdough leavening too. Sadly, I couldn't eat it all so had to take some home for later. My only feedback would be that there should be slightly less brussel sprouts - I got loads, which is strange when many reviews say that toppings are too light. I completely disagree with that. Still - better too much than too little. In any case, brussel sprouts will be on my list for home made pizza toppings in the future. They add a lovely bite and contrast to the saltiness of meat toppings.

Coupled with a couple of pints of excellent craft beer and attentive and engaging service it was a great meal. They have a fantastic craft beer offering there - something like 20 taps!

I had a good chat with the pizzaiolo who certainly enjoys his work. We discussed wood fired ovens and he put me onto a book by Alan Scott called "The Bread Builders" which I have ordered from Amazon to help with my own build.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable trip and I would recommend the place to anybody. We drove 40 miles from Sarasota to St. Pete's to try the place. At first my wife said it was a waste of time, but after we'd eaten, she said "yeah....that WAS worth it".

The reviews are extremely polarised, but I guess this is just from people who are used to Dominos or Pizza Hut pizza getting totally different pizza experience and not knowing what to make of it.

Pretty crappy iPhone pictures I'm afraid....

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
My only feedback would be that there should be slightly less brussel sprouts - I got loads, which is strange when many reviews say that toppings are too light. I completely disagree with that. Still - better too much than too little. In any case, brussel sprouts will be on my list for home made pizza toppings in the future. They add a lovely bite and contrast to the saltiness of meat toppings.

You'll be surprised when you make one how much sprouts it actually takes. You put on more than you think you'll need and when it's baked, you wish you used twice as much as you did. As for the meat, try chopped up pancetta and don't precook it. IMO, nothing else matches with the sprouts as well. That's how Palombino makes it at Motorino. The first time I made one, I used Nueske applewood smoked bacon. I couldn't imagine it wouldn't make it even better then the pie I had at Motorino. I was wrong, and I never made that mistake again. 
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Pancetta and sprouts. Right - that's on the list when I get home.....

Offline adm

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 11:36:50 PM »
So - a chance visit tonight brought me some gold dust........

I drove past the "Village Idiot Pizzaria" just near to Anna Maria Island today and we stopped in for some pies on a whim. This place was just great and should be a must do for anyone looking for good pizza in the area.

It's not Neapolitan. But it is based on several of the same principles: Caputo 00 Flour, San Marzano tomatoes, fresh mozz, wood fired oven at 800+

We had a "Butcher" (several assorted meats, including excellent home made sausage), a "Cuban" (a white pie with all of the stuff in a Cuban sandwich) and a "Chain Store" (Straight pepperoni). All got finished and all were very tasty. The Cuban was incredible. Pulled pork cooked in the cooling oven overnight, plus pickles, dijon, etc...

This is basically a very small, family owned joint, not pretending to be Italian, but with very, very good pies.  And surprisingly so. I had a chat with the owner and was surprised to learn he makes his dough fresh every day (due to space constraints). He makes 60 dough balls a day and when they are done, so is the restaurant. Crust was really nice for a same day dough. Not the same depth as a long fermentation sourdough crust, but very good and fresh. It's a really nice ultra thin base, with a well puffed cornice, but not the level of blistered leoparding and "pilloweyness" that I like so much. Good crust though....

His oven is really strange. It's a little cast ceramic setup that he made 22 years ago and has had ever since. Seems to work really well. It's a true dragon and obviously a well loved part of the family.

Both Amanda and Joe were great hosts. In addition to Pizza, their fish tacos looked awesome (would have tried them if I hadn't already had fish tacos for lunch) and they had a good range of craft beers and wines. My wife had a caprese salad made with heirloom tomatoes which she said was fantastic. There's also a great ice cream shop next door for desert! Highly recommended for anybody in Sacramento, Longboat Key or Anna Maria. Very small  - so get there early....they open at 4pm.

Offline MGJBLKTR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »
Eddie & Sam's Pizza is awesome!!!  Its on Twiggs Street in the heart of downtown Tampa.

pizzapan