Author Topic: Latest Pizzas  (Read 2617 times)

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
Latest Pizzas
« on: January 08, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »
Thought I would share some of my latest pizza pics with you all.  These are from adaptations of Peter's Round Table Pizza dough and my own RT sauce recipe.  It's tough making these crusts without a sheeter because they are supposed to be a laminated crust, but I finally have a reasonably easy process using a pin instead. Oh, and I have to use KA's all purpose instead of a high gluten because working the hg dough with a pin seems to make it really tough.  One secret in the sauce is to use Hungarian Paprika and I use freeze dried herbs and add a little fennel seed to the mix.  I have been giving these away around town and people are clamoring for me to sell them, ahahaha :-).  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:30:21 PM by wsonner »

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
Re: Latest Pizzas
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:05:25 PM »
Oh, I made a pizza using Longaniza not too long ago...if you can get your hands on some TRY it!! It's an incredible sweet sausage.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:22:10 PM »
Wes, nice BIG pies. I bet those free ones make a lot of people happy. Looks like you have been doing your home work and come up with a recipe that pleases.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 05:25:31 PM »
wsonner,

Those are very nice looking pies. Can you tell us what recipe changes you made and the easy process you came up with using the rolling pin?

Peter

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 05:28:07 PM »
Thanks Mark.  It is definitely worth the time and effort, especially to see people smile when they eat it :-).  These are 16" pies.  If I remember I will post my recipes when I get home. I'd like to know why they have a tendency still to come out slightly tougher than I'd like, whether it's because I'm using a pin or what.  I roll them out then do a  "letter fold" and roll them out again to size.  It takes quite a bit of effort so I'm thinking this might be making them tough...no?

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 05:29:35 PM »
Yes Peter. I'll post tonight.  And I said REASONABLY easy, ahahha.  It definitely wouldn't work for any kind of volume LOL.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:34:22 PM »
Great looking pizzas!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »
Very nice...are you rolling the dough cold or warm?
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »
Bob, I take it out of the refrigerator about 3 hours ahead and roll it at about room temp. 

Wes

Offline dwighttsharpe

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Yes Peter. I'll post tonight.  And I said REASONABLY easy, ahahha.  It definitely wouldn't work for any kind of volume LOL.

The sauce recipe also please.

The pies look delicious.
Dwight

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 08:18:59 PM »
Dough:

100% King Aurthur AP
   48% Water
1.75% Salt
  1.5% Crisco
  1.0% Sugar
  1.0% Non-fat dry milk
    .5% ADY

Mix dry ingredients and cut in Crisco.  Add water and use dough hook in Kitchenaide on low for 6 minutes after all ingredients are mixed well.
A couple minutes of hand kneading to form a good ball, coat with olive oil and put in a gallon sized Zip Lock and directly into the refrigerator.  
Refrigerate for 24 hours then remove 3 hours before rolling.  Form dough into a rectangle about 12 inch long and roll out until it's about square. Then do a letter fold and roll out until you can cut a 16" skin from it.  I have a 16" screen I lay over to measure and use as a cutting template.  Cut the skin and dock well on both sides.  Place on pizza pan (I have 16" pizza non-stick pans from kohl's).

Sauce:

1 12-oz can Hunt's Tomato Paste
1 clove fresh garlic chopped small
1/2 tsp onion powder
6 oz water
3/4 T Hungarian Paprika
1/4 t sea salt
1/8 t cumin (or not...this adds great flavor but definitely contributes bitterness)
1/2 T fennel seed crushed with mortar and pestle
1/2 T fresh (or freeze dried) Basil
1/4 T fresh (or freeze dried) Oregano
1/4 T fresh (or freeze dried) Cilantro chopped small
1 1/4 T sugar

Mix it all together and refrigerate for at least 3 hours, overnight is better.  Freeze dried herbs are NOT the same as the usual kitchen variety dried herbs and spices.  They come from the refrigerated section of the produce department, same place as the fresh herbs. They can be used in the same measurements as you would fresh herbs.

Let me know if something doesn't make sense. I think I typed it out correctly here.

Wes

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:21:18 PM by wsonner »

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 11:58:09 AM »
For one dough ball I use 454g of flour.  There is a lot of waste but it makes it a little easier to roll out.

Offline tlj000

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 11:29:13 AM »
I love it. No outer crust, bring the toppings right to the edge!

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 11:40:33 AM »
I love it. No outer crust, bring the toppings right to the edge!

YES! :-)

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Any comments or suggestions on my dough and sauce formulas? I'm grateful for any  help I can get.

Wes

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »
Any comments or suggestions on my dough and sauce formulas? I'm grateful for any  help I can get.

Wes
Sure...for your sauce. Try Contadina paste and eliminate the cumin and cilantro. I like your sauce recipe Wes, especially the ground fennel seed.  ;)  My suggestions will bring you inline with old skool Chicago thin pizza sauce.
Play around with it and enjoy.... :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
Wes,

I have never had a Round Table pizza but if your clones tasted half as good as they look, I don't think that there is much that we can offer in the way of advice. However, I would say that from the perspective of the home pizza maker, the biggest obstacle to success with an RT clone is being able to roll out the dough to simulate what a commercial roller or sheeter does. Warming up the dough to a decent temperature before rolling it out helps with the rolling process but I am sure that it alters the structure of the dough in a way that may be less than desirable. It is also possible that after Round Table filed for bankruptcy it changed its formulations and methods in ways that have taken them away from their original formulations and methods. Often, the product suffers as a result. In cases like that, it is at least good to have a clone formulation that yielded good results even though the clone may not be perfect.

Peter

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2013, 08:02:18 PM »
Sure...for your sauce. Try Contadina paste and eliminate the cumin and cilantro. I like your sauce recipe Wes, especially the ground fennel seed.  ;)  My suggestions will bring you inline with old skool Chicago thin pizza sauce.
Play around with it and enjoy.... :chef:

Thanks Bob.  I've been backing off the cumin slowly and I'll give it a try without. It adds an unmistakable bitterness but a distinctive "western" flavor.  Cilantro was just because I love the stuff but probably has no place in pizza sauce (sure is good in salsa though). :-D  I really appreciate your feedback!

Wes

Offline wsonner

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 08:15:19 PM »
Wes,

I have never had a Round Table pizza but if your clones tasted half as good as they look, I don't think that there is much that we can offer in the way of advice. However, I would say that from the perspective of the home pizza maker, the biggest obstacle to success with an RT clone is being able to roll out the dough to simulate what a commercial roller or sheeter does. Warming up the dough to a decent temperature before rolling it out helps with the rolling process but I am sure that it alters the structure of the dough in a way that may be less than desirable. It is also possible that after Round Table filed for bankruptcy it changed its formulations and methods in ways that have taken them away from their original formulations and methods. Often, the product suffers as a result. In cases like that, it is at least good to have a clone formulation that yielded good results even though the clone may not be perfect.

Peter

I'm constantly on the look out for a used sheeter so maybe some day.  I will try heating the dough as you suggested and see if it reduces the amount of work I need to do on it.  In the end I don't need to have a perfect clone, as long as I have a really good pizza that I like.  I mean, truth be told, a real RT pizza is just too expensive to build a business plan around.  It's not unheard of for a large King Arthur Supreme to cost close to $30.  I'm not surprised they filed for bankruptcy.  Luckily I have a really good day job...that I'm keeping :-).  Thanks again Peter!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »
Wsonner, I use cilantro a lot as a substitute for basil, I like the taste, but there is something to it that some people can not tolerate.  Cumin in pizza sauce, not so much, but definitely paprika.