Author Topic: Has anyone tried this?  (Read 4162 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Has anyone tried this?
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 03:47:56 PM »
You have to special order that thing... I guess nothing is safe enough for this case...  ;)
Special order... ???  I have a bunch of 'em sitting out on my welding cart. Harbor Freight sells the kind that break after 3 uses...now that is unsafe!  :-D

Seriously, I used to use my wood peel for switching stone on different rack levels before I figured out(sorta)how to work my cranky old gas oven.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:50:20 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline spazster

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2013, 12:58:19 AM »
I haven't done it with a stone, but have done it with steel.  It works, but I agree it isn't for the faint of heart.  A better method is to use a cast iron pan.  Preheat the pan hot on the stove top and get the broiler cranking in your oven.  Open the dough and put it in the pan.  Quickly top the pie on the stove top in the pan and then use a couple pot holders to pull it off the stove top and put it under the broiler.  I've cooked some decent 2 minutes pies this way in the past.

I made a small pizza today doing this on my cast iron 10 inch pan.  I used too much flour though trying to make sure the pizza didn't stick to the peel and the bottom of the crust burned from the excess flour. I really wish there were an easier way to move pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 10:56:53 AM »
I made a small pizza today doing this on my cast iron 10 inch pan.  I used too much flour though trying to make sure the pizza didn't stick to the peel and the bottom of the crust burned from the excess flour. I really wish there were an easier way to move pizza.
Have you tried just making the pizza right in the pan? If your cast iron pan is seasoned it should come right out.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »
How did you possibly use a peel to launch a pie over the rim of a pan?  When I've used this method that is why I open the dough then put it right into the pan with my bare hands and top it in the pan.  Then the pan and pizza go under the broiler.
-Jeff

Offline spazster

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »
Have you tried just making the pizza right in the pan? If your cast iron pan is seasoned it should come right out.

I think I'm too OCD to do that. If I'm under pressure to do it that quickly, I'll be worried that I didn't top it just right.

How did you possibly use a peel to launch a pie over the rim of a pan?  When I've used this method that is why I open the dough then put it right into the pan with my bare hands and top it in the pan.  Then the pan and pizza go under the broiler.

It wasn't that hard. I floured the peel well and gave it a little shove and pizza dropped right into the pan.  Also, the pizza was about 7 to 8 inches and the pan was 10 inches diameter so I had some wiggle room.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 07:17:16 PM »
 spazster , I gotta ask...are you preheating the pan and that is why you don't think you'd be able to pull off making it right in the pan?

Offline spazster

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 08:21:48 PM »
spazster , I gotta ask...are you preheating the pan and that is why you don't think you'd be able to pull off making it right in the pan?

Yes, that is what I did. Thinking about it more though, maybe it isn't the flour.  Maybe I just have it too hot. The new Infrared thermometer I just bought can measure between 58 - 1022 F and the stove top can get it past that range.  I don't remember if I had it to its max or if I put it in at 800.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2013, 08:49:51 PM »
Yeah, that's waaay too hot man....it's a wonder you're still alive!  ;D
What type/style of pizza are you working here spazster?

Offline spazster

« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2013, 09:20:34 PM »
Yeah, that's waaay too hot man....it's a wonder you're still alive!  ;D
What type/style of pizza are you working here spazster?

I'm not sure. I was just trying to do a quick bake with high (75%) hydration. I keep hearing how awesome the quick bakes are on this forum so I wanted to try it out. What should my target temperature be on the stove top before I move it to the oven?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »
Well, I'm going to assume you have an oven with a top broiler but I'm not too sure how this super high hydo dough is going to work but it sounds like you're determined/up for experimentation.
I'd say...probably launch that pie into maybe a 700ish pan and get it as close to the broiler as possible.
There is someone here that has been recently doing this technique an I hope he see's this cause I know his stuff was turning out great. Sorry I can't help more.
Bob

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2013, 12:25:25 AM »
You have to special order that thing... I guess nothing is safe enough for this case...  ;)
Not special order...Home Depot has duckbill vice grips.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline spazster

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »
I just got a 16X16X1/2 steel plate. I don't think I'm daring enough to try it with that, but I might get a plate that is only 1/8 inch thick and attempt it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:21:15 PM by spazster »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2013, 01:55:35 PM »
I just got a 16X16X1/2 steel plate. I don't think I'm daring enough to try it with that, but I might get a plate that is only 1/8 inch thick and attempt it.
Why? What type of oven do you have spaz?

Offline spazster

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »
Why? What type of oven do you have spaz?

It is just a standard oven. It can reach up to 550 degrees and has a broiler at the top.  The interior measures about 23 X 18.

At 1/8th an inch thick and only 10 lbs, that shouldn't be too much trouble to move from the stove top to the oven, right? I probably won't even do that though.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
You are free to do as you choose....but  ;D
With your setup, I would stick with the 1/2in plate(inside) your oven and go for some fast bake NY, Neo-NY pies.Have you seen any of the Neo-Ny pizza's being made over in the NY section?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »
spaz...this is a good pizza that is within your reach. ;)
although he is on aluminum, your steel plate will be oh so similar. I just chose this pic cause it's current.It baked fast.... ;)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21951.msg233048.html#msg233048
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:36:12 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline spazster

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »
spaz...this is a good pizza that is within your reach. ;)
although he is on aluminum, your steel plate will be oh so similar. I just chose this pic cause it's current.It baked fast.... ;)

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,21951.msg233048.html#msg233048

I hope I get something of similar quality.  This weekend I'm going to try to mirror what Communist did except for one pizza I'm going to use a screen for the first two minutes so I can make a perfectly round 16 inch pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2013, 09:44:08 PM »
I hope I get something of similar quality.  This weekend I'm going to try to mirror what Communist did except for one pizza I'm going to use a screen for the first two minutes so I can make a perfectly round 16 inch pizza.
What communist did?In the future please apply links for us 'ol timers spaz....you know how it is.... 8)
I really feel that you will reach perfectly circular this time. ;)

Offline spazster

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2013, 11:38:27 PM »
What communist did?In the future please apply links for us 'ol timers spaz....you know how it is.... 8)
I really feel that you will reach perfectly circular this time. ;)

He documented his experience in this thread.  That thread inspired me to get the steel.

Online scott123

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 12:18:31 AM »
Peter, you've got the 1/2" steel, which, with your oven, will give you any non Neapolitan bake time your heart desires.  You can certainly look at your broiler and see if it can do Neapolitan, but the odds are astronomical that it can't. Assuming this is the case, 1/2" steel, in a fixed position, will give you everything this oven is capable of giving you. As Bob said, enough of this hot hearth moving madness  :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 12:37:22 AM by scott123 »

pizzapan