Author Topic: Not sure what I need?  (Read 1062 times)

Online 68sting

Not sure what I need?
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:33:26 PM »
I did my first NY style pizza the other day and liked it a lot.  Here's the recipe I used.

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/episodes/detail.php?docid=35172

I cooked it in my pellet grill at 500 degrees with hickory pellets and a stone.  I felt like the crust under the toppings was a tad under cooked but the bottom was great.  Probably should have left it on a little longer but I was worried about burning the crust.

I can get my pellet grill up to 600 and I also have a kamado that will get a good 800.  My oven will do 550 but I do like the wood flavor from the grills.

I'm not sure what material I should be looking at?  I like NY style and wouldn't mind trying some pan style pizza either(not sure what you call that).  If you use a pan do you still use a conductor?  What material do you suggest the pan be made of?

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk225/68sting/pizza.jpg

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk225/68sting/pizza2.jpg
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:35:38 PM by 68sting »

Online 68sting

Re: Not sure what I need?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 12:52:59 AM »
Anybody?

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:00:41 AM »
I can't speak to the pan question, but if you want to improve your NY pies, you need to work on your grill setup and get more top heat by adding some kind of false ceiling closer to the pizza to radiate the heat downward.  All grills have top bottom heat issues and it's very difficult to get the top brown without burning the undercrust.

You can also go with a less conductive hearth, such as fibrament or quarry tiles combined with some kind of deflector so they don't get damaged by the heat.

If you're looking for a less NYish more American/Chicago thin crust-ish crispiness, you can pre-heat the stone to a lower temp and leave the pizza in for longer with the pellet burner on high, making sure not to lift the lid too much or you'll lose the collected heat.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:09:08 AM »
sting - what pellet grill are you using (i feel like I should know this because I recognize your name)
  I might be able to help with setup but I personally have given up on mine for most types of pizza because of the top browning problem.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:10:58 AM by deb415611 »

Online 68sting

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I have a Louisiana 450.

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »
Sorry, I don't know the Louisiana 450.  I have a MAK 2 star and a Traeger Lil Tex.

You should explain how the pellet grill works a little as it's not a regular grill because it's fan driven.  Explain where your probe is to control your heat setting because if you do any type of stone enclosure you mgiht be blocking it off and the temp might be much hotter or cooler where the probe is in relation to your pizza - this might be something that could work to your advantage.  Also, do you have a deflector over the firepot ,  with the traeger I wouldn't worry about putting a stone with out a additional deflector  as long as it wasn't too close to the sides.  With the MAK using full flame zone I would need a deflector.  Do you have a shelf above the cooking grate?  With the MAK I have a full size but with the Traeger I do not and would need to mod something.  Lots of variables that are different than a gas or charcoal grill.  

Online 68sting

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 10:55:58 PM »
The 450 does have a heat deflector.  I could put stone above the pizza and use the maverick to monitor temp of the pizza zone separate from the 450 probe.  Would my oven be better for this?

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 12:22:32 AM »
Would my oven be better for this?

If, by 'oven' you mean 'home oven,' then I'd say yes. Generally speaking.  It really depends on your home oven specs. Gas or electric? If gas, is the broiler in the main compartment or below it?

Pellet ovens can run a bit hotter than home ovens which can be a big advantage for NY style, but this advantage is generally negated by the hassle of having to deal with top bottom heat ratio issues.  In a home oven with a broiler, those ratio issues disappear.  You do need to be willing to get the right hearth material, though, to match the quick browning you're getting on the undercrust in the pellet grill now.

pizzapan