Author Topic: Thanks Varansano, Pftalor,Peet-za, & others for supporting my pizza OCD!  (Read 1205 times)

Offline lebelinc

Hello all,
Well I have been browsing this forum for a couple years, and finally my pizza making has gone to the obsession level, so though I would register.

I have been trying to perfect my pizza for the past few years. Started with the old "proof yeast" rise...punch down ect ect.
Tried so many variations wheat,beer, cornmeal, many flours, yeasts, cold ferment,  warm ferment additives, ovens ect ect.
I am more geared to perfecting a Napoletana style now.
Where I am at now........I have made a makeshift brick oven in my grill with fire bricks and stones, and cooking 5-6 min at 550-600. Using a Ischia culture and fresh yeast. Still experimenting with different flours...Caputo, KASL and Vienna strong bakers.
Go back and forth using a  poolish and without. Use autolyse method and cold ferment 3 -5 days
I get great crumb, coloring  bubbles ect. The only thing missing is flavor.
I get a counter pizza oven this week that goes to 750  degree. I hope my new oven and high heat will solve my flavour problem. If not I may have to give up.
Why do I do this...don't know. Family loves the pizza ( making it about 3 times a week...always tweeking recipe)

May go to our local farmers market where they have a brick oven and sell a few if i can get it right!

I would also would like to get to New York to try all the places I have read over and over about..Patsys, DI fara, Una , Johnnys ect.

Glad I found this board. Friends and family don't understand my obsession and neither do I. There is just so much to know with pizza making, how the yeast work, hydration levels, flours, heat, mixing methods, fermention  ect ect.
I am so so close...I cant stop now!

Thanks to all on this bored..Jeff V, pftaylor, peet-zaa,arthur,pizzanapoletana and many more!!
How did I get a pizza Obsession??

Offline csafranek

Re: Thanks Varansano, Pftalor,Peet-za, & others for supporting my pizza OCD!
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:36:34 PM »
I think we can all relate to the obsession.  ;D

Offline lebelinc

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »
That's why I don't feel like a total crazy anymore! There are actually more people out there like me!!
How did I get a pizza Obsession??

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 08:45:29 PM »
Yep... I'm in that boat too.

I'm OCD by nature.  When I find something that interests me, I REALLY dive into it and learn all I can.

Varasano's site got me started, and I'm reading up here as much as I can.

I'm making pretty good pizzas now. At some point I'll cave an get a WFO.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 11:16:52 PM »
Long room temperature fermentation is going to do more for flavor then high temperature in my opinion.  High temperature fast bakes lead to many great things, but increased flavor in the the crust isn't one of them.  I would also personally put the starter aside and use the fresh yeast alone until you can make a great dough you love that way.  You can make a very flavorful dough without a starter, and using the starter adds a multitude of variables into the mix that can lead to issues.
-Jeff

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 06:39:34 AM »
What's the new oven you're getting?

Online JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:21:25 AM »
Yep... I'm in that boat too.

I'm OCD by nature.  When I find something that interests me, I REALLY dive into it and learn all I can.

Varasano's site got me started, and I'm reading up here as much as I can.

I'm making pretty good pizzas now. At some point I'll cave an get a WFO.

We have the same exact story... frightening

As to the OP: I'm surprised you lack flavor while using an Ischia culture. When I switched, I noticed an immediate flavor boost. What's your ferment schedule? Have you tried a longer, cooler ferment with only starter and no IDY/ADY?
Josh

pizzapan