Author Topic: Hello From South Alabama  (Read 297 times)

Offline tjames

Hello From South Alabama
« on: January 16, 2013, 10:38:25 AM »
Hello Guys,
I am on the verge of a brand new project. I am hoping to begin testing my old Blodgett 981/961 (1985 model year) triple stack gas fired brick ovens within the next month. I have never had any pizza experience other than eating lots but have been on a quest for knowledge for the past 18 months by reading forums like this, talking with pizza professionals and on line tutorials. I currently own a couple of bars one of which is where ovens are located and the other is a few miles away with a small kitchen operation. I have been in the bar business for the past 10 years and I have some restaurant knowledge. My plan is to offer a great quality, non chain, New York Style Pizza. If I can master my ovens I will be the only brick oven operater in our town which currently has 4 chain and 1 mom and pop pizza restaurants.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
Re: Hello From South Alabama
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
I recently moved to from NY to MS, and the lack of NY Style is what brought me to these boards. I truely believe that if you open a NY style pizza place in areas without a "style" (ie. Chicago,California, etc) your restaurant will run everyone else out of business.

Good luck with your venture, the info in this forum almost guarantee's success.

JD
Josh

Offline tjames

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »
Hey JD, Thank you for the post. I think this could be super cool but i see the work being INTENSE but then anything worth doing seems to be that way. I know i have alot to do to be ready and am looking forward to getting some focus group testing soon and then it will be time to hang the sign and make some pies!

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »
Check out Varasano's story: http://www.varasanos.com/history.php

Then get back on the board and start learnin!
Josh