Author Topic: Pepperoni Alternative  (Read 2251 times)

Offline rym

Pepperoni Alternative
« on: January 17, 2013, 07:09:57 AM »
Hi there!

I'm quite new to making pizza's and I would like to start making my own. I created my first pizzas last week and even though they weren't great I can feel an addiction coming up!  Now I've bought the right flour (high gluten) I'm looking at the rest of my ingredients, mainly cheese and pepperoni.

I live in the Netherlands and pepperoni seems unatainable here. We have some chain pizzeria's (domino's) and they do serve pizza's with pepperoni but I have not been able to find it in regular supermarkets or even large supermarkets which cater to restaurants etc, thus I have no idea where they are getting their stuff from. I am not a fan at all of Salami on my pizza so the question is, is this ingredient replaceable and if so, by what?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Pepperoni Alternative
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 08:06:27 AM »
Sopressatta is nice ?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 09:24:50 AM »
Hi there!

I'm quite new to making pizza's and I would like to start making my own. I created my first pizzas last week and even though they weren't great I can feel an addiction coming up!  Now I've bought the right flour (high gluten) I'm looking at the rest of my ingredients, mainly cheese and pepperoni.

I live in the Netherlands and pepperoni seems unatainable here. We have some chain pizzeria's (domino's) and they do serve pizza's with pepperoni but I have not been able to find it in regular supermarkets or even large supermarkets which cater to restaurants etc, thus I have no idea where they are getting their stuff from. I am not a fan at all of Salami on my pizza so the question is, is this ingredient replaceable and if so, by what?

Did you ask the store management if they carry pepperoni or just look around for it? If you are just looking for it, it may or may not be in the refrigerator section. For most retail packages, it doesn't matter where they are displayed. Maybe you didn't look in the right place? Also, if they don't carry it, you might ask them to and see what they say.

I certainly can't speak with any experience of what is stocked in grocery stores in the Netherlands, but it would be extremely unusual for even the smallest grocery stores in the States not to carry pepperoni.

It is possible that only the large chains have it. Companies like Domino's generally secure their own products and hire companies to distribute them to their stores on a proprietary basis.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline rym

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 03:07:03 PM »
I can assure you that pepperoni is virtually unknown of here. A few years ago even the chains didn't have pepperoni pizza, they would top off their pizza's with Salami! So pepperoni is 'kind of' new here. I've been to two stores which cater to restaurants and such and still no luck. I might seriously consider if I can find a dominoes or other franchise owner who might sell their pepperoni to me.. but until then I'm just going to look for alternatives I guess..

Sopressatta is nice ?
John

I do not know this sausage but I'm going to take a look tomorrow and see if I can find some!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
Hi there!

I'm looking at the rest of my ingredients, mainly cheese and pepperoni.

My 2 meats of choice are Pepperoni and Hot Italian sausage, although before I started making my own pizza it was sausage all the way. Now that I found Vermont smoked pepperoni, I use both.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline nikesparq

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 02:55:11 PM »
This may not help in the Netherlands, but in general Hormel's Turkey Pepperoni is a decent alternative (nutrition-wise and/or for non-pork eaters).

Offline rym

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »
In the end I found a business which sold pepperoni, though only to other businesses (this is a Dutch thing, tax laws etc). The owner had one customer in my city, so the next time he's delivering pepperoni to this particular pizzeria, he is going to add an extra 2lb box of pepperoni for me :D Took some dedication but I'll have some soon! Now to await my stone and the fun can begin :)

Offline Thumper

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 05:01:32 PM »
Congrats, rym. Your dedication will pay off. I couldn't survive without pepperoni!