Author Topic: Yesterday Pies  (Read 2576 times)

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Yesterday Pies
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »
1st -  Italian Sausage, shredded Mozzarella Cheese and sprinkled Asiago cheese
2nd - tomato sauce, Italian sausage with diced tomato, shredded Mozzarella Cheese and sprinkled Asiago cheese

Fast rise dough KABF, 64% hydration

Bake time less than 4 minutes , Stone temperature 650F

Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
Re: Yesterday Pies
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:08:41 PM »
More Pies,

Shredded baby spinach, finely diced red onion and garlic, salt, black pepper , EVOO and fresh lemon juice.

Added roasted pine nuts

Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »
And more pies... Say  ;D
Bert,

Offline Qarl

• I love to cook! and eat!
    • Black Pug Brewing
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
Yum!  THey look great

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 09:12:44 PM »
They look very good.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:28 PM »
Thanks, sausage pies were the best.
Bert,

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 09:23:42 PM »
Boy, that's some great looking food there Bert. You're gett'in pretty good at this stuff!  ;D
I mix in Asiago cheese all the time...good flavor addition to the 'ol mozz, eh?  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 06:03:42 AM »
Looks great, Bert.

This is obviously the MPO, right?  Are you blocking the non MPO portion of the grill with foil and/or something else?  About how many times are you turning the pies during the bake?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 07:13:44 AM »
I mix in Asiago cheese all the time...good flavor addition to the 'ol mozz, eh?  8)

Thanks Bob, and thanks for recommending Asiago cheese in another post.  I like how it taste. I get overwhelmed  when I try to select cheese at the supermarket. There is a zelion kind of cheese and not cheap.

Gene recommended Oaxaca cheese... It is a pretty good replacement for mozzarella cheese.
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 07:27:28 AM »
Looks great, Bert.

This is obviously the MPO, right?  Are you blocking the non MPO portion of the grill with foil and/or something else?  About how many times are you turning the pies during the bake?

Thanks Scott, that's means a lot....

Yes, it is MPO. I used only two burners (1250 btu each), I used an aluminum foil as a divider (wall) between used and unused burners. Outdoor temperature, I think it was between 60 and  70 deg F (4 pm to 6 PM)

I was't really paying attention on the number of time I rotated each pie, no more than 4 times.

I just started to learn how to take full advantage of MPO ability to control convection heat not only for baking but also to heat up the upper stone, I need more testing to confirm it.
Bert,

scott123

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 07:35:38 AM »
That's interesting, Bert.

So, this is 2 out of 3 burners you're using, right? And are you sure it's 1,250 btu each, not 12,500? If it is 25K total, that's still pretty impressive.  I think it would take a lot of tinkering to get that out of an LBE with a 25K burner attached.

How much sugar is there in the dough? Oil?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 07:44:33 AM »
That's interesting, Bert.

So, this is 2 out of 3 burners you're using, right? And are you sure it's 1,250 btu each, not 12,500? If it is 25K total, that's still pretty impressive.  I think it would take a lot of tinkering to get that out of an LBE with a 25K burner attached.

How much sugar is there in the dough? Oil?

it is 2 out out 4 burners (tube burners)... it is  12,500 btu each... the grill rated at 50,000 btu. I don't use any sugar in my dough recipes, I use 1 tbl spoon of EVOO. Sorry for being short.. have to leave to woork...
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 08:56:21 AM »
I posted pictures of my lidless gas grill on the forum, I can't find it now. It is made by RiverGrille 50,000 BTU 4-Burner, here is an online link http://www-origin.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/rivergrille-4-burner-event-portable-propane-grill.aspx?a=954681
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 08:59:39 AM by MightyPizzaOven »
Bert,

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 10:13:18 AM »
Max temperature I was able to reach was 650 to 675 (outdoor temperature was in the 60s F). I am planning to test it when outdoor temperature is in the 30s.
Bert,

scott123

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »
Thanks for the info.  This forum has seen so few 2stone grill insert users, that there's nothing to compare it to, but for those kind of BTUs, like I said, the bake times are impressive. I'm positive that the Kettle Pizza insert can't do this out of the box.

My DIY leanings have never lead me to be completely on board with a $300ish 2stone insert, but I've slowly warmed up to the fact that non DIYers need options as well. Assuming the final iteration of your device will be stainless, which will command an even heftier price, but at the same time have that characteristic stainless sexiness, I have no doubt that it will be too rich for my blood, but I'm sure it will make quite a few people happy.

As I look at the photos, I can't help notice that the bottom stone seems to continue to get hotter from pie to pie.  Are you turning off the grill between bakes?

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
I did turn both burners on low once (I needed to take a brake). Even though I have been using MPO for a while, I have not paid enough attention to convection heat and try to manage it effectively. It made big difference. I like to bake few more times on MPO to make sure it is consistent.

Also, I like to test other shape of burners and see if I can get similar results. Last time I tried a turkey fryer burner, it was hard to balance bottom and top stone heat. I am hoping with my new setting, that will not be an issue anymore.

Beside MPO pretty shell, MPO's ability to control convection heat is a big advantage over other designs in my opinion. Which translate into less BTU.

My vision for MPO is to be sold at retailers, To support that vision, I am looking at $289 Retail Price for MPO.

(Revised)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:37:55 PM by MightyPizzaOven »
Bert,

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 03:19:52 PM »
Bert, your pies continue to look very good, and I know the MPO is very capable. I'm curious where is your focus now? Are you working on improving dough, technique, etc.?
Pizza is not bread.

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 03:36:34 PM »
Thanks Craig, I am exploring different pizza topping combinations for MPO photo album and explorer additional uses for MPO's other than pizza. Couple of thing I like to try with MPO, sourdough bread, Chicago pizza and steak (using reversible cast iron girdle).
Bert,

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 05:42:06 PM »
Did I hear someone say Chicago pizza.... 8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »
Did I hear someone say Chicago pizza.... 8)

You heard right... I had all the ingredients prepared to try it last weekend, I had to postponed it, we had relative from out of town visiting.
Bert,

pizzapan