Author Topic: kenji does pan pizza  (Read 4906 times)

Offline sotaboy

kenji does pan pizza
« on: January 25, 2013, 06:17:44 PM »
http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html
Ok, Kenji does not have a great reputation here.  But I like this recipe just because it's simple.
I haven't made it yet. Just wondering what the experts in this style think of the recipe and techniques.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: kenji does pan pizza
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 06:56:18 PM »
Looks good....just like a lot of that type of pizza's I see HERE.  :o    Hmmm.... :-\
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline sotaboy

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:15:15 PM »
Thank you, Chicago Boob, for your insights, and to my questions about the recipe and techniques.

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
It looks like our members are triangulating on this recipe. Earlier today, and as Mmmph noted, TomN raised some questions about the recipe (to which Tom Lehmann replied), at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23045.msg233608.html#msg233608, and a couple of days ago Craig mentioned the article featuring the recipe at Reply 5 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,23026.msg233458/topicseen.html#msg233458.

For those who are interested, I did some calculations and then used the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html to come up with the baker's percent version of the recipe. In so doing, I used the Diamond Crystal Kosher salt, which is what Kenji uses for most of his work. However any salt type can be used so long as the same percent is used in the expanded dough calculating tool. I also calculated the thickness factor for those who might want to use the expanded dough calculating tool to come up with the numbers to make pizzas of any given size and in any given number. Kenji's recipe calls for making two 10" pizzas.

Here is Kenji's recipe in baker's percent format:

Bread Flour (100%):
Water (68.75%):
IDY (1%):
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt (2.5%):
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (2%):
Total (174.25%):
400 g  |  14.11 oz | 0.88 lbs
275 g  |  9.7 oz | 0.61 lbs
4 g | 0.14 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.33 tsp | 0.44 tbsp
10 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.94 tsp | 0.98 tbsp
8 g | 0.28 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.78 tsp | 0.59 tbsp
697 g | 24.59 oz | 1.54 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: Dough is for two 10" pizzas, using dough balls weighing 697/2 = 348.5 grams, or 12.29 ounces; the thickness factor = 12.29/(3.14159 x 5 x 5) = 0.15652; no bowl residue compensation.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 07:51:25 PM »
Thank you, Chicago Boob, for your insights, and to my questions about the recipe and techniques.
You're quite welcome boy.  ;D

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 07:52:25 PM »
Well the snow was flying and I thought I'd give this a try. I think it was great for the effort required. I followed the recipe as close as possible. Out by 2, gone by 6, for my wife and I. That's a thumbs up.
Marty
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:56:34 PM by apizza »

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:03:47 PM »
Photos maybe. Always too big.
Marty

Offline ogdred

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
I had a go at this recipe. I used 200g of Robin Hood bread flour in a 10" cast-iron griddle, with a 26-hour room-temperature fermentation.

I cooked it on a pizza stone which had hit 560 by the time I started (oven was preheated at 500 for over an hour). The undercrust seemed a little underdone when I took it out after about 14 minutes, so I heated briefly on the stovetop, to brown it a little more.

This wasn't as close to Pizza Hut as Kenji suggested, but is within spitting distance of (IMHO) Toronto's best chain pizza, Pizziaolo, so I may experiment with it a bit more to get there. Deep-dish isn't my favourite, but I'll definitely experiment to improve on this.

Offline Ev

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »
I had a 2 week old dough ball leftover in the fridge. Originally it was meant to produce a 15 in NY style pie baked in a wfo. Instead, I baked it in a 12 in pan in my kitchen oven @ 525, convection.  400g dough ball in a 12" pan.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 01:31:42 PM »
That is a great looking pie there Steve. You have a nice versatile dough. IDY?

Offline Ev

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 01:40:41 PM »
Thanks Bob. Yes,that's the Occident flour, IDY dough I've been using lately in the camper oven.

Offline ogdred

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 05:18:04 PM »
Hi Ev,

I don't really see the connection to Kenji's recipe. Is this a no-knead two week cold-ferment?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 06:09:28 PM »
I wonder why Kenji doesn't post here.....

Offline Ev

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 06:53:36 PM »
Hi Ev,

I don't really see the connection to Kenji's recipe. Is this a no-knead two week cold-ferment?

Sorry ogdred. You're right. No connection to Kenji's recipe.  :angel:, and FWIW, no, this was kneaded in a mixer for 6 minutes, then cold fermented for 2 weeks.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:55:41 PM by Ev »

Offline ogdred

« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 07:40:23 PM »
No problem. It kind of makes me wonder what would happen if you did try a two-week cold ferment on a no-knead dough. I am sure someone has tried that out already...

(Mine definitely had a pungent, sourdough-like odor at the 26-hour mark.)

Offline Chi_Guy

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 05:57:43 PM »
I saw the Serious Eats recipe too and while normally I'm a thin-crust guy, I was intrigued by the no-knead technique and the sheer simplicity of the recipe.

I made the dough as instructed except I halved the recipe to make one dough ball instead of two.  Mixing it though I had my doubts.  The dough mixture was a crumbly mess and at the beginning was so dry, I thought I would need to add more water to it.  Eventually I  had to toss the wooden spoon and get in there and mix with my hands for it to come together.  Ended up with fingers full of sticky dough...not fun.  I covered the bowl and stuck it into the oven to rise for 24 hours.  Kenji gives a rest time of 8 to 24 hours.  I went with the longer rest time because my house is cold in the wintertime and other no-knead recipes advise a full 24 hour rest in colder areas.

As it rose, the dough developed a wonderful yeasty smell that permeated the kitchen even before pulling it out of the oven.  I fully planned to make pizza once it was done, but due to a bad sinus infection I had to refridgerate the dough for a couple of days before I could use it.  I'm sure the extra fermentation time could have only improved the flavor of the dough. 

Anyways, when the time came I took out the dough, sprinkled a little flour on it and worked it into a nice smooth dough ball.  Added some EVOO to a cast iron pan then put the dough ball in there, working it around to coat the ball and the pan liberally.  Then I covered it and let it proof in the pan for 3 hours, an hour longer than Kenji specified but again due to the cold weather I find my dough needs a little extra time to proof.  This dough was supposed to stretch itself out but when I checked after 1.5 hours, it had hardly expanded in size.  It was quite pliable and easy to work with though so I pressed it down and later stretched it in the pan.  Then I popped all the air bubbles on top of the dough with my hand and the ones below it by lifting the crust up. 

Topped the dough with pizza sauce, mozzarella, jalapenos, sujuk sausage, and bell peppers and then placed the pizza in a 550 deg oven.  Actually my oven thermometer indicated it was 525 when I put it in but I was so hungry that I didn't really care.  Let the pizza bake for about 7 minutes, then rotated it 180 degrees and let it bake for another 5 minutes.  At the 12 minute mark, it was done but I let it go for another minute just to brown things a little more. 

Compared to the past few Sicilian pies I've tried making, this pizza was definitely the best pan pizza I've made so far.  The crust was a nice and golden, with caramelized cheese on the sides.  The bottom didn't get as crispy as Kenji's did but that could easily be done by cooking it on the stovetop for a few minutes or transferring to a stone.  I think if I had baked it on the bottom rack instead of in the middle, that would have helped with crispness too.  Still it was very good and I was impressed by the nice, airy crumb and overall flavor of the crust.  Given the minimal effort put into it, I thought the results were great and I'm eager to try the no-knead method with NY style and Sicilian pies.

I also think this is a great recipe for kids or beginners since it's so simple and straightforward. 

Below are some pics of the pie I made:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 06:02:37 PM »
Chi-Guy.

Right on man!!  Beautifumous dude... 8)

Thank you...

Offline dmckean44

• pizza pizza
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 10:41:35 PM »
I went ahead and made this today, I hadn't had good pan pizza in a long time. It turned out really well.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2014, 10:47:23 PM »
I went ahead and made this today, I hadn't had good pan pizza in a long time. It turned out really well.
Duh-haaam...I'll say!   :o
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 10:50:07 PM by Chicago Bob »