Author Topic: Total Newbie  (Read 790 times)

Offline Kap1492

Total Newbie
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:46:39 PM »
I would like to attempt to make a NY style pie in the up coming days so I would like to get my dough started so I can do a cold ferment for 24-48hrs. I have two issues that are preventing me from doing so. Most importantly I do not have the percentages of ingredients that are needed, nor do I have any idea on how to come up with them. The flour that I currently have is Hodgson Mill's AP. Now I know that AP is not the best flour for an ideal NY style dough, but it's what I have. I have also purchased some VWG of the Hodgson Mill's brand. Few searches have come up to identify the protein content of Hodgson Mills AP flour, the only site I could find states that it is 10%. I would like  get the best recipe considering the types of flour that I have on hand. Any suggestions would be great.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Total Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 05:27:09 PM »
I would like to attempt to make a NY style pie in the up coming days so I would like to get my dough started so I can do a cold ferment for 24-48hrs. I have two issues that are preventing me from doing so. Most importantly I do not have the percentages of ingredients that are needed, nor do I have any idea on how to come up with them. The flour that I currently have is Hodgson Mill's AP. Now I know that AP is not the best flour for an ideal NY style dough, but it's what I have. I have also purchased some VWG of the Hodgson Mill's brand. Few searches have come up to identify the protein content of Hodgson Mills AP flour, the only site I could find states that it is 10%. I would like  get the best recipe considering the types of flour that I have on hand. Any suggestions would be great.

Welcome to the pizza shopping network, where all your pizza dreams can come true! What other ingredients are you missing? Where do you live?
All ingredients should be avail on line.
If you only have one flour avail, and don't want to order on line, perhaps you should just use what you have and not worry about what type it is. Just thinking!!!!!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:20:47 PM »
Hey Cap,
Sounds like you have been doing some searching and really want to learn how to get your pizzamaking up a level. That's great man!  :)
Please try to see what all flours you can possibly get your hands on...talk'in bout high protien here. You want to avoid adding VWG if possible for a couple different reasons.
Before you ask why.... :D  jus see what alternatives are available to you and if can't happen then we'll come up with a formula for you my friend.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:22:41 PM »

Kap1492,

If this is the flour that you have, http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/All-Natural-Flour/White-Flour-Unbleached/71518-05009-001_Group.aspx, you will have to contend with the fact that the flour is unmalted. That means that unless you add some diastatic malt to the flour, you are unlikely to have enough residual sugars in the dough at the time of baking to produce any decent amount of crust coloration. Adding some sugar to the dough and giving the dough a long cold ferment should help produce more crust coloration but you might find that you have to go longer than 48 hours. That usually means using a smaller amount of yeast so that the dough can go out longer in time without overfermenting.

Apart from the above, and as you noted, all-purpose flour is not the best choice for the NY style. If you can find the Hodgson Mill Best for Bread flour, such as shown at http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/All-Natural-Flour/BEST-FOR-BREAD-Flour/71518-02010-001_Group.aspx, that would be a better choice because it is malted (barley malt). It is also higher in protein content than the Hodgson Mill all-purpose flour and should contribute a bit more to final crust coloration, and also chewiness. If the Best for Bread flour is not a viable option, then you can add some diastatic malt and/or sugar to the all-purpose flour and live with the results, or you can add some vital wheat gluten to the flour to elevate the protein content of the all-purpose flour to that of a bread flour. You might or might not like the results.

Maybe after your response to the above we might be able to help you with a dough formulation.

Peter

pizzapan