Author Topic: WFO Cookbook: Trying to Decide...  (Read 1947 times)

Offline mahai

WFO Cookbook: Trying to Decide...
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
I have the following cookbooks in my wishlist at Amazon:

Wood Fired Oven Cookbook by Holly & David Jones:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/190314194X/?tag=pizzamaking-20

and,

The Art of Wood-Fired Cooking
by Andrea Mugnaini (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1423606531/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Any thoughts on either of them? Or do you have recommendations for another book or two?

Thanks,

Mahai

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: WFO Cookbook: Trying to Decide...
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 09:04:09 PM »
Just got Andreas for xmas last week from sis !
looks good !
think forno bravo has an e book for wfired cooking as well
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline CopperTop

• La cucina e per passione
    • Confessions of a Pizza Stalker
Re: WFO Cookbook: Trying to Decide...
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 12:16:26 AM »
The Art of Wood Fired Cooking (A. Mugnaini) was the first book I purchased on WFO in 2010. The book offers a good explanation of the steps to firing your oven.   In 2012, I ordered a WFO that arrived unscathe, but without instructions....so the instructions (with illustrations in color) in the book were very helpful -focusing on wood fire oven.  I didn't care for the recipes. I tried the pizza recipe and a chicken roast...nothing special. I didn't care for the recipes; then again,  I also don't care for the oven -just my humble opinion.

Wood Fired Oven Cookbook (Holly and Davis Jones) - is the book I much prefer of the two. The book is thorough.  Section on Lighting and Controlling a Fire (with photographs); Menu Ideas and Timing Guides,  Both from the UK, Holly is a chef and Davis, a trained baker...classic dishes, and all types of recipes (flavors of Greece, Britain, Morroco,etc..)  that are easy to cook -all geared for the WFO - Recipes for Pizzas and Many Toppings, Fish and Seafood, Veggies Meat, Breads, Puddings and cakes...

I now invested in these books:

Wood-Fired Cooking: Techniques and Recipes for the Grill, Backyard Oven, Fire Place and Campfire (Mary Karlin) -good overview of cooking options for the home cook. She has a section on Wood Fire Basics, Developing a Cooking Plan and a chart of Hardwood and Fruitwoods (flavor profile, heat level, and coaling quality).   Mary Karlin is also a chef - having taught at the Culinary Institute of America in Greystone, and other culinary schools. The recipes in the book are amazing.  Chapters include Baking Flatbreads and Rustic Artisan Breads, Wood Fire Grilling, Campfire Cooking, Wood Fire Roasting, Claypot and Cast Iron oven cooking, savory tarts and galettes baked on the Hearth, Low and Slow: Braising to barbecue.  The recipes are rustic and wholesome, and easy.  She chooses to include recipes that takes advantage of the flavors that you'll only get from a WFO.

Seven Fires: Grilling the Argentine Way (Francis Mallman) He is a famous chef in South America - illustrating all the techniques of how food is cooked using fire. From a parrilla -cooking on a grill- similar to a Tuscan grill....to a clay oven, using embers and ashes, using an iron cross,  to a cauldron.  He explains how to build a fire in your back yard and cook elaborate meals - his recipes are South American influenced (empanadas, ribeye with chimichurri,etc,) His meals are gourmet and elaborate, compared to the others, but the preparation seems worthwhile.     

Looking forward to the warm weather so I can use the WFO and try out these delicious recipes!

I'm attending a 2 day Wood Fire Oven Intensive that will cover oven management and cook all sorts of recipes using the different temperatures.  The Stone Turtle Baking School offers the WFO course 2x a year, located in Lyman, Maine.  Small class size means more hands on. Check it out.  Excited to get in the class next month since we have the same oven brand -just in time to really take advantage of the WFO.

Good Luck!

pizzapan