Author Topic: Hello from the pizza Capitol of the world  (Read 435 times)

Offline IAHawk

Hello from the pizza Capitol of the world
« on: January 27, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »
Not a professional pizza maker, just make them at home occasionally. Really got into crafting better home made pizza after living in Germany. The pizza in Europe is fine, good but different than American styles, and really different than the type in my region.

Always looking to improve, also discover where to buy ingredients and find new things.

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: Hello from the pizza Capitol of the world
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 05:17:18 PM »
Not a professional pizza maker, just make them at home occasionally. Really got into crafting better home made pizza after living in Germany. The pizza in Europe is fine, good but different than American styles, and really different than the type in my region.

Always looking to improve, also discover where to buy ingredients and find new things.

Welcome to the forum. I am disappointed  :( in your post though. I was hoping to find out where the pizza capital was ???

Many happy returns.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline IAHawk

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 06:03:40 PM »
Thanks,

I live in the Quad Cities, which is Four Cities plus a few smaller ones on the Iowa-Illinois border separated by the Mississippi.

Offline BoTrojan

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 02:14:38 PM »
THAT's the pizza capital of the world?  Are you serious????

Offline Snowwhite832

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 03:51:43 PM »
yeah I was thinking New York, Chicago maybe,  ...or hey Rome ? someplace in Italy maybe??? funny

Offline dvanraes

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 05:55:38 PM »
I am also from the Quad Cities, more specifically Moline and this is probably NOT the pizza capital of the world but we do benefit from being between St. Louis and Chicago. We have some local favorite shops that kind of all use the same recipe for dough/sauce/toppings like Franks, Harris, Wise Guys and the list goes on. We also have Happy Joes which is ridiculously expensive, albeit good, pizza. We also have the typical chains here like PJ's, Dominoes, Little Caesers, Pizza Hut. There is a wide choice when it comes to pizza in this area. That said, welcome...if I'm even qualified to welcome you as I'm pretty new myself. I'm reading a ton out here and I'm slowly integrating a lot of the tips out here into my home bake efforts!

-DVR

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:07:54 PM »
I am also from the Quad Cities, more specifically Moline and this is probably NOT the pizza capital of the world but we do benefit from being between St. Louis and Chicago. We have some local favorite shops that kind of all use the same recipe for dough/sauce/toppings like Franks, Harris, Wise Guys and the list goes on. We also have Happy Joes which is ridiculously expensive, albeit good, pizza. We also have the typical chains here like PJ's, Dominoes, Little Caesers, Pizza Hut. There is a wide choice when it comes to pizza in this area. That said, welcome...if I'm even qualified to welcome you as I'm pretty new myself. I'm reading a ton out here and I'm slowly integrating a lot of the tips out here into my home bake efforts!

-DVR
DVR...and welcome to you sir! You are a full fledged member(having passed the requirement ;D) and now have the right to welcome others.  8)
Very nice post you just made and it's great you are integrating our info to your pizza making efforts. Looking forward to seeing what all you are doing....you too IAHawk ! Welcome guys!!
Bob

ps, Quad cities have given us some pretty good rock bands. Sounds like they have a couple or so good pizzerias too. :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Chicago rules.

Offline dvanraes

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 08:33:56 PM »
Thanks Chicago Bob! It seems like a pretty nice bunch out here and I do read this forum fairly often. I still haven't found my Aha crust yet but am trying things like different flours, different amounts of oil, I've gotten a pizza screen which I love, and I'm gonna get myself a scale as it seems most recipes out here tend to use bakers measures. I'm truly interested in making a repeatably good crust. There is plenty of good information out here that I can try as I refine my taste and skill so be ready for the inevitable questions :) .

Sorry IAHawk, I wasn't trying to hijack your post. I will look forward to being able to compare notes with someone in town. Take care...and Welcome!

-DVR

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »
Thanks Chicago Bob! It seems like a pretty nice bunch out here and I do read this forum fairly often. I still haven't found my Aha crust yet but am trying things like different flours, different amounts of oil, I've gotten a pizza screen which I love, and I'm gonna get myself a scale as it seems most recipes out here tend to use bakers measures. I'm truly interested in making a repeatably good crust. There is plenty of good information out here that I can try as I refine my taste and skill so be ready for the inevitable questions :) .

Sorry IAHawk, I wasn't trying to hijack your post. I will look forward to being able to compare notes with someone in town. Take care...and Welcome!

-DVR
Sounds all good DVR...you are definitely on the right track in recognizing the importance of getting down the bakers % with the scale you are gonna acquire. Just let us know if you ever need any sort of heads up with that tool or your quest...that's what it's about man...enjoy.  8)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan