Author Topic: My first post - Baking Steel in convection oven  (Read 1225 times)

Offline jvasilou

My first post - Baking Steel in convection oven
« on: January 31, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »
Here is my latest pie cooked on the new Baking Steel product. I am getting great results with it. I use a recipe technique based on Jeff Verasano with a starter. My GE Profile oven lets me adjust the thermostat up to 35 degrees so I add 35 which lets me bake around 585 when set to 550. Based on other posts I tried convection last night, which lowers the temp by 25 (wish I could turn that off) but even with that I was still above 550. Convection reduced my baking time from 6 and a half minutes to 5. I use a 50/50 mix of Caputo 00 and KA Bread flour. One of my best results.

Offline Jdcigar

Re: My first post - Baking Steel in convection oven
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 08:23:44 PM »
What baking steel do you have?  How do you raise the temp the extra amount?  We have a GE profile as well.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 08:32:07 PM »
JD,  it all goes back to RTFM...  -marc

Offline jvasilou

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 11:35:42 PM »
I got the steel from bakingsteel.com. The instructions on the oven adjustment are in the manual but all you do is hold the bake and broil buttons down at the same time until you see SF in the display. Then press bake, enter 35 and hit start. To set it back just enter 00 instead of 35. If you forget to do that and your wife can't understand why she burnt her blueberry pie the next day you're in trouble  :)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 11:37:33 PM by jvasilou »

Offline Jdcigar

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:00:44 AM »
Thanks!