Author Topic: Balling  (Read 650 times)

Offline hotsawce

Balling
« on: January 31, 2013, 07:11:46 PM »
Just curious how you all ball dough. I was frequently using the "fold under" and pinch off method, but it was taking a lot of time and I felt like I was overworking the dough a little bit.

Does anyone do the "keyhole" method with dough already cut to the proper weight (ie, not pulling it off a longer piece of dough...like a snake.)

I'd like to try using this method to ball dough (seems quicker and like there are less touches on the dough) but would like to hear from someone that does it this way.

If you push the dough through a circle created by your forefinger and thumb, do you ever expand the size of that circle or do you just keep it there and push it through? How do you pinch it off using this method?

I want to make some dough and try it this weekend

Offline Giggliato

Re: Balling
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »
If what you are going for is minimal working of the dough, why ball at all? just leave the dough mass in your bowl for awhile then dust with flour and pour it onto your peel.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 08:52:53 PM »
Just curious how you all ball dough. I was frequently using the "fold under" and pinch off method, but it was taking a lot of time and I felt like I was overworking the dough a little bit.

Does anyone do the "keyhole" method with dough already cut to the proper weight (ie, not pulling it off a longer piece of dough...like a snake.)

I'd like to try using this method to ball dough (seems quicker and like there are less touches on the dough) but would like to hear from someone that does it this way.

If you push the dough through a circle created by your forefinger and thumb, do you ever expand the size of that circle or do you just keep it there and push it through? How do you pinch it off using this method?

I want to make some dough and try it this weekend
Yes, sounds like you know how to approximate your size...I cut with a knife. do quick scale check then a nominal traditional fast couple of tuck unders.
Hope this helps.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Online scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »
Just some thoughts.......balling dough is a balancing act that works with your mixing.   Its ok to work the dough a lot in the balling stage if you dont mix too much, but if your dough is well developed in the initial mix you have to be very gentle in balling, especially if your dough is on the dryer side (dryer doughs tend to build up gluten much faster). ALso, if your dough is fairly wet there isnt much need to worry about getting the perfect ball.   its all going to form into a blob anyhow.   

Offline patnugent

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 12:58:00 PM »
I disagree with "not worrying about getting the perfect ball" if the pinch isn't pinched enough and the seam is left open a little bit the dough stretches un evenly and can easily develop holes.  Roll it until it's a good ball.