Author Topic: First Scratch Pizza  (Read 1263 times)

Offline jb64

First Scratch Pizza
« on: February 05, 2013, 01:48:19 AM »
Made my first attempt at a homemade pizza.  For the crust I used a recipe
i found on this forum called Garvey's Pizza; the crust is as follows:

AP Flour 100%  used 375g of Gold Medal
Water 50%
IDY  0.5%  used SAF bread machine yeast
salt 1%
oil  8%
sugar  1%

I mixed all ingredients together until the dough came together then let rest covered for 20 minutes.  I then tried to knead it with a dough hook but the dough was so stiff it just spun around on the hook.  I then hand kneaded the dough for about 10 minutes, the dough was more tearing than kneading seemed too dry.

I put the dough in a small container covered in the refrigerator.  I deflated the dough every 12 hours.  After 30 hours I divided into two balls and placed back into the refrigerator.  10 hours later I removed one of the balls and let rise at room temp for about 3 hours.  I rolled it out into a 14" circle, added sauce and toppings then baked in a 450 oven on a stone I had heated at 500 for an hour.

I made a second pizza with the remaining dough ball a day later using the same technique.

Overall I was happy with the result, the crust was crisp but tender.  I would like a crust that is a little thicker and is crispy and chewy.  I need to get an IR thermometer and a peel.  I made the pizza on a sheet of foil, baked it on the stone for about 4 minutes then slid it off the foil onto the stone and baked for an additional 6 minutes.

I would really appreciate any critiques on my first pizza and any suggestions on a crust that would be a little thicker than the one I made, should i just use the same dough and not roll as thin?  Do I need more water in the recipe?

Jim

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: First Scratch Pizza
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:36:28 AM »
Great job on your first first pizza. The recipe you chose is for a thin and crispy Chicago style pizza. If you want a thicker, chewy pizza, try making a NY style. You can search the NY style forum for a recipe, or you can use the one listed on the pizzamaking.com site recipes to start.

The difference between the two will be a much higher hydration (in the 60's), much less oil and more salt. The higher hydration will allow you to mix the dough in your mixer more easily. The dough will be lightly kneaded and then put into the fridge for a day or two. If you come across a recipe that uses a room temp fermentation instead of the fridge, you want to knead the dough more to develop the gluten.

John

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
Also, thicker and chewier can mean a couple things. How about telling what your favorite restaurant pizza is....do you like Pizza Hut thick an chewy pan pizza, Papa Johns...got a favorite mom and pop NY slice joint you go to? See what I mean?
Bob

Also, you did an excellent job with Garvey's pizza!
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jb64

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »
John and Bob, I appreciate the feedback.  As far as the common pizza places go I like the PH hand tossed crust but my favorite pizza would be what I got from John's on Times Square.

For my next venture I will find a NY style crust on here to make.  I am just worried that my residential style gas range will limit what I can achieve.
Jim

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:37:59 PM »
I am just worried that my residential style gas range will limit what I can achieve.

Jim, as long as your oven can reach 530 (either a 550 dial or a 500 dial oven that runs a bit hot, which is relatively common), and it has a broiler in the main compartment, not underneath, you can, with 1/2" steel, create a John's pizza.

Even if the broiler is below, there's still hope, but requires a different hearth material and considerably more tweaking.

Offline grathan

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:40:03 PM »
I've only made a couple pies myself. One thing I noticed is that If I rise the crust a little bit before baking it seems to be better. I also like some oil on the bottom to keep it from getting too dry. I think that is the biggest problem I have and cooking at 500 is that the all the water evaporates by the time the pizza is done.

To rise a crust I follow some advice I found here on a pizza hut thread. I preheat the oven to 200-250 and turn it off and throw the pan in with just the dough and let it sit for an hour. I think this is called proofing the dough, but not sure.

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »
Jim, I wish my 1st pies were as nice as yours. I agree with adding a bit more hydration perhaps 57-61% or so. In the mixer I have found that adding the oil after the flour has absorbed the water really helps the dough ball pick up any remaining flour on the sides of the bowl. You also might try mixing the dough and water in the mixer with the hook and keep on kneading without a rest period. I use 5 min but many use other times. When getting the dough just right it  is as much FEEL as anything else, to know when it is ready to stop that is.
Good luck. Keep good notes each time you make a pie and change one recipe item at a time to allow yourself to see the effect of the changes.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »
jb64, you might also try Pete-zza's Papa John's clone, if you're looking for an american-style similar to PH hand tossed.  If you want another midwestern-style thin (like Garvey's pizza), you might try Pete-zza's Monical's clone (has a nice chew).

Offline wsonner

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 09:06:32 AM »
Wow! That's your first pizza?  It looks awesome!

Wes

Offline jb64

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2013, 01:47:37 AM »
jb64, you might also try Pete-zza's Papa John's clone, if you're looking for an american-style similar to PH hand tossed.  If you want another midwestern-style thin (like Garvey's pizza), you might try Pete-zza's Monical's clone (has a nice chew).

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give both of them a try.  I was planning on making a couple of pies this past weekend but just couldn't find the time, hopefully I will be able to make a few this weekend.

Wow! That's your first pizza?  It looks awesome!

Wes

Thanks for the kind words Wes, I had fun making it and enjoyed eating it.
Jim

pizzapan