Author Topic: toppings not getting cooked in a wood fired oven  (Read 706 times)

Offline uncle charly

• I Love Pizza!
toppings not getting cooked in a wood fired oven
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
I realize we are not using the proper dough management technique's, the problem is the owner has never been in the pizza business and he insists on making the dough his way. Fortunately I have been able to put together a great pizza. Our problem is the toppings are not getting cooked before the dough burns.Any help would be a blessing.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: toppings not getting cooked in a wood fired oven
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Can you post some pictures?

Perhaps the toppings are too large? I bake raw sausage in my oven in as little as 50 seconds.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline mp233069

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:35:36 PM »
Have you surveyed the temperature in the oven? What style pizza are you cooking?
Mario

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 09:24:24 PM »
tell us about the oven too.  All wood ovens are not created equal, you may need to alter your style to fit the ovens sweet spot.  When it comes to commercial use you really need to make a pizza in the ovens sweet spot or you will not produce a constant product.
-Jeff

Offline uncle charly

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 03:19:01 PM »
 forno bravo is the name of the oven we are using and it has a back up gas jet. we have backed the heat down to 575 thinking that would help by not burning the crust. We use a 1/8" Julian slice for our veggies and roast them in olive oil and fresh garlic and cool after cooking. We are using a fresh sausage but precooking it as well, we use Ezzo pepperoni and a 3 blend shredded cheese, we are cooking on the deck from a wooden paddle. Style of pizza is a thin crust getting about 3/8" rise, I do understand the "sweet spot" theory but I'm making them and he is cooking them. Also we use cornmeal to get them off the board and a lot of moving gets a lot of burnt cornmeal on the bottoms