Author Topic: Too Much Flour?  (Read 638 times)

Offline Doughboy20

Too Much Flour?
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:03:29 AM »
So I have been trying to get the black char spots on the crown, but no luck. Do a long 3 - 5 day ferment, usually see lots of bubbles in the container before i bring it to room temp.  Now looking at my own pics I see would could be spots where the wet sauce is hitting the rim.  So is it possible i am using too much flour when pushing out the pie keeping it from charing?  Am I imagining the spots in the inside rim?

FYI:
I use King Aurthur Bread flour
Electric oven, stone on bottom rack  550F.
5 day ferment
65-70% hydration

Offline GuzziJason

Re: Too Much Flour?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 01:40:47 AM »
I would thing that sugars (naturally occurring or added) or oil in the sauce could contribute to browning, in areas where it contacts the crust. With that said, yes - based on the photo, it seems like there may be a bit too much flour on the crust as well. I used to have similar problems problems, and just worked on using just *barely* enough bench flour to get the job done, without leaving too much flour on the crust. It definitely makes a difference.

__Jason

Offline Doughboy20

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 01:49:20 AM »
Good point, there is no oil in the dough, but there is some in the sauce.  I didn't thing of that angle. 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 08:26:03 AM »
I think it is more likely that it is the sugars in the sauce. I've seen sauce brown on the cornice of my pies, and I don't add oil to my sauce.
Pizza is not bread.