Author Topic: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.  (Read 34956 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Calabrian chili oil - how I make it.
« Reply #240 on: October 28, 2014, 03:03:44 PM »
I had those round ones and the etna that came up volunteer from last year. I don't think the round ones would have had enough heat on their own.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #241 on: October 31, 2014, 08:00:54 PM »
I will preface by saying I love heat and like a decent burn. I like hot Indian curry, very hot Thai food with bird peppers and i am known to put ghost pepper and habaneros in many dishes. Sriracha is ketsup!  I love jalepeno palomas cocktails!! We call them Squishies!

These little round calabrese peppers have a unique quality when eaten raw. You know like any other pepper, I just took off the stem and popped it into my mouth. It was about the size of a big Bing cherry.  They have heat and burn that goes from zero to 100 immediately - like a raw habanero only much sharper (if that makes sense.) Also, uncharacteristically to my experience with higher Scoville scale peppers, the burn does not last that long as a habanero or even Serrano would. The thing is - I ate it all on one side of my mouth. Next morning - giant canker sore on my tongue where I was chewing it (I know gross)  but fact. 

Anyone else try these round raw peppers off the plant and experience the same heat? I was not expecting it to be quite that hot based on member posts. Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #242 on: November 04, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »
Craig, I found these at a local Italian deli. What do you think?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #243 on: November 04, 2014, 10:28:59 PM »
It may be good, but it's going to be different. I'd buy a bottle if I saw it.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #244 on: November 05, 2014, 06:30:06 AM »
drmatt357 - try them, it is some of the best tasting stuff I have ever eaten. Works great on lots of things - I eat it everyday now - just ordered a case of 12 jars, I can't keep it in the house.

Try mixing a teaspoon (or more) into some warm vegetables - adds a great flavor and kick. Also good added to a baked potato!

Offline Simple Man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #245 on: November 05, 2014, 07:20:29 AM »
drmatt357 - try them, it is some of the best tasting stuff I have ever eaten. Works great on lots of things - I eat it everyday now - just ordered a case of 12 jars, I can't keep it in the house.

Try mixing a teaspoon (or more) into some warm vegetables - adds a great flavor and kick. Also good added to a baked potato!

I agree. These are the closest I can find locally. Looks to be the same ingredients. I was surprised at the heat level. A little goes a long way.

If you don't like the heat, move to Maine!

Offline drmatt357

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #246 on: November 05, 2014, 09:03:31 AM »

Thanks Mate. I will go pick up a jar.

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #247 on: November 05, 2014, 10:13:20 AM »
I agree. These are the closest I can find locally. Looks to be the same ingredients. I was surprised at the heat level. A little goes a long way.

SimpleMan,

The Cento brand is the one I use as well because it's available locally.  They are also great mixed into pasta or drizzled on chicken cutlets.
Mary Ann

pizzapan