Author Topic: My Journey into Pizza making and my great experience!  (Read 339 times)

Offline solidusraven

• I Love Pizza!
My Journey into Pizza making and my great experience!
« on: August 23, 2013, 01:15:58 PM »
I started making pizza like many of you, just baking it and being satisfied with decent results. Then I did some research and later found out why cooking stones are better. Didn't spend money on one so I ended up getting tiles to cook the pizza. One of the things that I appreciate is looking at information from people such as Peter Reinhart, and he has provided a lot of knowledge about the pizza making process. I'll attach some pictures of the Pizza's that I made, and some details of the doughs that I used. All the recipes for the doughs that I have tried have been based on the flour to hydration ratio of the recipes found on Peter Reinharts website. My sauce is not hard, I use either San Marzano, or Contadina Tomatoes, Sea Salt, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Olive Oil, garlic, Ground Pepper, and sometimes a pinch of Sugar but I find certain brands of tomatoes are sweeter so no need to add sugar. I let my dough ferment for 3 days minimum. I find that it gives great taste to the bread, and use gold's unbleached flour. I'll try to list the pictures from my first one to the most recent ones.

1. Wasn't shaped great, I didn't know how to stretch the dough.
2. Was my attempt at ny style
2a. Bottom of pizza
3. mushroom, ground turkey, and pepperoni using neopolitan style dough.
4. Pepperoni, green bell, and ground turkey.

I'm still learning, let me know what you guys think!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
Re: My Journey into Pizza making and my great experience!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
solidusraven , thanks for sharing with us.
My observation on presentation is that aside from the shape, no big deal, I really like the way the 1st pie looks. To my eye the separation of chese and toppings is good.
Also you managed not to crowd the cornice with toppings on the 1st pie, which I think is a good thing. I see also that the last round pie has similar qualities, very nice as well.

The upskirt shot looks like the bottom of your pie could use a little more heat.
What type of oven are you using and what temps. Sometimes tile placement in the home oven can have an impact on the color.

Overall a great beginning.
Thanks again for being a member.

Mark
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 03:53:48 PM by mkevenson »
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline solidusraven

• I Love Pizza!
Re: My Journey into Pizza making and my great experience!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
solidusraven , thanks for sharing with us.
My observation on presentation is that aside from the shape, no big deal, I really like the way the 1st pie looks. To my eye the separation of chese and toppings is good.
Also you managed not to crowd the cornice with toppings on the 1st pie, which I think is a good thing. I see also that the last round pie has similar qualities, very nice as well.

The skirt shot looks like the bottom of your pie could use a little more heat.
What type of oven are you using and what temps. Sometimes tile placement in the home oven can have an impact on the color.

Overall a great beginning.
Thanks again for being a member.

Mark

Thanks for your great observations Mark, I made the mistake with all my pies to bake them on travertine tile but later found out that this is not ideal. Today I switched to quarry style lava style rocks tiles and I will test. I am using an ordinary Oven and I believe you are right about the heat as well. I pre heat it in the past at 550 (max) for 1 hour.

Edit:  On the last pie I work harder on shaping the crust by using the edge of my palms.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 02:29:51 PM by solidusraven »

pizzapan