Author Topic: NY Style Testing Information and Pics  (Read 1818 times)

Offline MikesCookin

NY Style Testing Information and Pics
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »
I have been doing quite a bit of testing with different flours, cold ferment times, hydrations, cheeses, tomato products, and stones.  Posting some pics and info.  Style is NY thin crust.

Dough
I have been using 3.5 % Salt; 9.0 % Camaldoli Starter, and .70 % ADY.  Cold ferments range from 1-6 days.  Hydration has been 58% on the low end and 66% on the upper end.  Iím finding that Iím comfortable with dough in the 59-60% range since itís easier to work with, and unless youíre baking in the 700-800F temp range you donít really need the higher hydration anyway.

Flours
Supremo 00 (Restaurant Depot) 25 kilo bags for around $30
KABF
KA Special - also Restaurant Depot 50 lb. bags for $16-17
Harvest King is next - 50 lb. bags for around $23

On the wooden peel, Iíve used cornmeal, various flours, and 50/50 flour and semolina mix.  IMO rice flour is superior to all of these.  White rice flour does not impart any flavor, is very 'slippery', you don't need much.  Also very little burn and no bitter taste.

Tomato
Pastene Kitchen Ready
Baresi ground peeled
Supremo Italiano San Marzano D.O.P
6 in 1 Escalon

I also use fresh off the vine tomatoes from Sept. 2012.  Laid these out for 5-6 days, then vacuum sealed them whole & into the freezer (we use these all winter for sauces, stews, pizza, etc.).  Thaw, then into hot water, peel, grind, remove some of the water, add salt and basil.  Some work involved, but these are my favorite. Summer flavor all winter long.  Cost is about $25 for a 40 lb. bushel.

-Will probably do separate tomato-specific posting

Cheese
Whole milk mozz:
Saputo Mozzeria (Restaurant Depot)
Pollyo
Vantaggio (Bellissimo brand)

Have read good things about Grande - I found a local distributor that sells it, but they donít break cases.  If anyone has experience using Grande, Iíd like to know your thoughts and if itís as good as people say.

Fresh fior di latte:
Galbani
BelGioioso

Oven
Frigidaire electric with convection, approx 5.7 CF, max setting 550F.  Itís a good range, but occasionally I get F10 error codes for runaway temps and it's a fairly large space to heat up.  As I mentioned in another post, I have a Sage PD11-A 400 on order for home use.

Stone
The PC and quarry tile heat and bake similarly, easily achieving 650, have seen stone surface temps over 750F in the oven.  (This has no doubt contributed to the error codes). These also have fairly substantial heat loss during bake.  I am pleased with the soapstone, it comes up to temp quickly and if I launch a pizza on to it at 600F surface temp, (although this can vary depending on the exact location on the stone) 4 Ė 4 Ĺ minutes later when the pizza comes off, the stone is  still at 565-570F so thereís not a substantial heat loss or huge recovery time.  This is a 5/8Ē thickness tile 16 X 16, weighs about 15 lb. and cost me $25.  I suspect 3/4Ē would be better and 10/8Ē better still but I didnít want the added weight on the racks.

Stones tested on:
Pampered chef stone 7/16 thickness
Quarry tile 7/16 thickness
Soapstone 5/8 thickness

Pics attached. The pizzas here are all 4-5 min bake times.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:20:29 AM by MikesCookin »

Offline MikesCookin

Re: NY Style Testing Information and Pics
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 10:12:09 AM »
More pics  - for some reason even through they are around 200K in size, I could only upload 4 at time.

Offline MikesCookin

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 10:14:05 AM »
Pics

Offline MikesCookin

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:18:11 AM »
Pics

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:37:55 AM »
MikesCookin,

For your information, the King Arthur Special flour and the King Arthur Bread flour (KABF) are the same flour. The Special is the name given to the KA professionally sold flour (http://www.kingarthurflour.com/professional/specifications-conventional-bakery-flour.html) and the KABF is the retail product.

Peter

Offline MikesCookin

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 12:05:57 PM »
Thanks Pete.  Have you used Harvest King? I've read good things about it.  It's about $23-24 for 50 lb.  locally.

Mike

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 12:26:19 PM »
Thanks Pete.  Have you used Harvest King? I've read good things about it.  It's about $23-24 for 50 lb.  locally.

Mike
Mike, yes, I have tried the Harvest King flour, but at the retail level under the Better for Bread brand. It is a good general purpose bread flour. I especially liked it for cracker style crusts.

Peter

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 12:31:00 PM »
Mike, thanks , nice presentation. Have you come to any conclusions re your preferences for flour?
Also, I had always thought of soapstone as "soft" , but apparently not the one you are using?

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 02:09:01 PM »
Saputo markets a mozzarella cheese for retail sale as "Dragone". It is a very good cheese, at one time it was Cook's Illustrated's pick as the best mozzarella on the market. I would assume it is the same as or very similar to the Restaurant Depot cheese you listed.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline MikesCookin

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 04:13:31 PM »
Sorry I've been off for a while.  Thanks for your replies and information.

mkevenson, I have been using a 50/50 blend of Supremo 00 (Restaurant Depot)and KABF. Pleased and have not tried anything new lately.

Pleased with the soapstone.  I can't comment on the softness/density, etc; but I can tell it heats quickly and has less heat loss than other products I've used. 

-Mike

Offline mbrulato

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »
Mike,

I just bought a can of Supremo Italiano DOP San Marzano tomatoes and SI three cheese (mozzarella, cheddar, provolone blend) from my local Restaurant Depot.  Their cheese is wonderful but I have yet to try the tomatoes.  I bought the SI WM LM mozzarella from my local pizzeria a few weeks ago and it was great.  He told me that Grande is even better but he was waiting on a delivery of Grande and didn't have any to sell me then.  Although I can't taste the difference between the two cheeses. SI is $12 for a 5lb. bag at RD, I'm guessing that Grande is about $20-$25 per 5lb. bag.

I too live near a distributor of Grande cheese (which probably supplies that pizzeria), but they would not break a case for me either.  I'm still considering buying it anyway because I have a second fridge in my basement and could store some bags there and maybe freeze one bag.  I've been averaging one 5 pound bag every other week.  So I don't think it would spoil before I've gone through it.

Mary Ann
Mary Ann

pizzapan