Author Topic: Pizza ovens  (Read 1408 times)

Offline JoeM

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza ovens
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:12:58 AM »
I am looking to begin making pizza in my arcade where we host a lot of birthday
parties. I am looking at the BAK- P44S- BL and the Nemco 6205 208v Countertop pizza ovens. I currently
purchase pizza from a nearby chain and resell in my store. I do about 500-600
pizza pies a month. Most of the volume is on weekends. 

Question- Which is the better of the two? (I'll take suggestions on others)

Question 2- How long will it take to make a pizza in these ovens?

Question 3- Do you think I should bring in 240v into my store for the best results? (cost is over $2500)

Offline scott123

Re: Pizza ovens
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:50 AM »
Joe, countertop ovens are nothing more than toaster ovens with stones. They are ideal for warming pizza, not baking it. They just don't have the necessary power. The home baker can tinker with them and produce one or two great pies at a time, but on a professional level, countertops are to be avoided.

Does your store have a gas connection? If it does, I might start looking around at used gas deck ovens. Even if you can't find any great deals, a new marsal mb-60 brick lined oven, at $8000, at 500 pizzas per month, should pay for itself pretty quickly. Not to mention that the quality of pies you'll be able to produce will be such that the number of pies you'll be selling will increase.

By the way, you might look into other electricians. $2500 seems like a heck of a lot for running a 240v line.

Offline JoeM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:29:40 AM »
Thanks Scott..

Unfortunately, I dont have a gas line running in my place and the area where I am setting my pizza oven is in my back room so space is at a premium.  I've seen conveyor ovens in some stores and it seems to make a good decent pizza.  Should I try that route and not the ovens mentioned? I want to make a good oven but price and space is important.

Also, the electrician has to add a buck boost and run the line from across the back of my store. Over 2300ft of pipe. So that's where most of the cost is..

Thanks

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 01:28:49 PM »
Joe, I recommend a pizzamaster oven. You might be able to get away with a PM451ED but you might want to consider the two tiered PM451ED-1.  Two stones in the same oven is going to involve a big learning curve, but I think you should be able to figure it out, and I think you might end up needing the extra output.  If you have the money to spend, you might want to think about stacking two PM451EDs- or maybe start with one, and, then, based upon the volume it can do, maybe pick up a second.

Pizzamaster isn't cheap, and, from what I've heard, their customer service is practically non existent, but this is the only sufficiently powerful countertop for NY style with confirmed build quality.

I've never seen a truly great New York style pizza come out of a conveyor oven. If you're just trying to match the chain pizza you're selling now, then perhaps a conveyor will work for you. This forum has a few conveyor fans, so hopefully they'll chime in.

Here's another countertop, at least on paper, that has somewhat reasonable specs:

http://www.pizzagroup.com/en/prodotto_dett/3/008/1394800.aspx

The watts are not on par with most home ovens, but they are better than the Baker's pride or Nemcos. The build quality is a huge question mark, though. Here's a defunct eBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-PIZZAGROUP-M50-13-ELECTRIC-MANUAL-PIZZA-OVEN-/290625112071?

It's an Italian company, but the oven could easily be a rebranded Chinese oven, like other countertops are. Based upon the wattage, though, if you were going to roll the dice on a countertop, this is the one I'd gamble on.

Speaking of home ovens, the form factor will be larger, but there is a good chance that a home oven can outperform these countertops.  An oven with dual chambers should give you the output you're looking for.

By the way, if you do have 2300 feet of pipe to run, you might want to run it yourself and have the electrician make the connections. At the same time you run the 240 V line, you might want to double the wiring for a potential second line if necessary. If you do go  the countertop route, you may need a second countertop to keep up with demand, especially if your demands are concentrated into short time frames.

Edit: My numbers for the pizzamaster ovens were incorrect.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:46:02 PM by scott123 »

Offline scott123

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 04:46:43 PM »
Joe, my information on pizzamaster was incorrect.  I went back and edited by previous post.